Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Uk vs Australia which is more pretentious?

Uk vs Australia which is more pretentious?

Old Oct 11th 2010, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk vs Australia which is more pretentious?

Originally Posted by MissNyz
I loved living in London and wouldn't change any of the experiences that I've had. The majority of my time was done doing things I loved and I was very lucky to have had this opportunity. I gained invaluable experience in both my personal and professional life. Unfortunately, there is unpleasant people where ever you go but it takes the bigger person to rise above it. I would definitely live in London again when the time is right (joys of having dual citizenship) as it definitely holds a very special place in my heart.
Well done MissNyz for having enjoyed your time in one of the worlds great cities.

London and Melbourne are impossible to compare in reality. I think you picked up on the fashion/handbag/designer aspect because that is not Melbournes thing, people in general are not so into high fashion (generalisation) but it can be just as pretentious for a girl to have a huge tattoo on her arm, loads of peircings, and wearing gear from an op shop.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Well done MissNyz for having enjoyed your time in one of the worlds great cities.

London and Melbourne are impossible to compare in reality. I think you picked up on the fashion/handbag/designer aspect because that is not Melbournes thing, people in general are not so into high fashion (generalisation) but it can be just as pretentious for a girl to have a huge tattoo on her arm, loads of peircings, and wearing gear from an op shop.
It's all relative...there are parts of Melbourne where people do scrub up...
and of course, perhaps Melbourne is the most London like city...based on what - I have no idea ....once you get this relative thing - loads of things make sense...
Old Oct 11th 2010, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It's all relative...there are parts of Melbourne where people do scrub up...
and of course, perhaps Melbourne is the most London like city...based on what - I have no idea ....once you get this relative thing - loads of things make sense...
Thats why i used the word Generalization,
Old Oct 11th 2010, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
fortunately yes
Old Oct 11th 2010, 9:45 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

fortunately yes
So it tastes like cat shit as well... and people drink that shit. !!

All the worlds wierd food always lead to the obvious question... who was the first person who thought drinking a brew made with cat shit was a good idea.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Thats why i used the word Generalization,
Yes indeed Sir...this is my little list of why Melbourne is like London...

It's the coldest city - forget Tassie now.
It has trams and stuff. OK - I know trolley buses went out a while back...
It's a bit grey in winter.
People are sort of pretentious. Sort of. (Infact they can't win - they're either acused of being bogans or too much like Europeans).
It has 'culture'. (Define culture...)
Old Oct 11th 2010, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
So it tastes like cat shit as well... and people drink that shit. !!

All the worlds wierd food always lead to the obvious question... who was the first person who thought drinking a brew made with cat shit was a good idea.
Shit i meant to say No, its tastes really very nice, very very smooth nutty taste
Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Another great Melbourne pretentious topic of conversation, Coffee

Kopi Luwak is the ultimate in coffee one upmanship, and i have 2 packets in the fridge for when guests come over :-)
Did you miss my deliberate irony there?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:25 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
You obivously live in a bogan dreamland. In Australia no-one cares what you do to earn a crust, or where you live. You're kidding right? that's all people ask or care about in this country.
Well maybe all the people I associate with are different from the ones you know, because I rarely get asked that question unless I'm filling in an official form - and certainly no-one seems to care.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You obivously live in a bogan dreamland. In Australia no-one cares what you do to earn a crust, or where you live. You're kidding right? that's all people ask or care about in this country.
Not in the Australia I live in they don't.

Fair enough but if you want to do soemthing in this country have a decent career maybe live in a nice neighbourhood it's very improtant here. Not everyone wants to live in some outer suburb shithole surrounded by bogans.
I live in a nice area, it's not some outer suburban shithole surrounded by bogans. I'm surrounded by people from stacks of different walks of life, careers, wealth (I guess) and no one gives a flying **** what anyone else is earning/doing/living in.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Oct 12th 2010 at 6:02 am.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Well maybe all the people I associate with are different from the ones you know, because I rarely get asked that question unless I'm filling in an official form - and certainly no-one seems to care.
Depends on where you live/work and who you mix with I think, same as any other country. I work for the government, and one of the commonest questions when people meet others at work is "what level are you" as the Public Service is very level conscious, and once you know whether someone is an AO2 or an AO8 you know roughly what they are earning. Its not a culture I like but its one I've got used to.
In other private work places though I didn't find it was quite such a hot topic of conversation.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Depends on where you live/work and who you mix with I think, same as any other country. I work for the government, and one of the commonest questions when people meet others at work is "what level are you" as the Public Service is very level conscious, and once you know whether someone is an AO2 or an AO8 you know roughly what they are earning. Its not a culture I like but its one I've got used to.
In other private work places though I didn't find it was quite such a hot topic of conversation.
Not pretentious but possibly nosey
Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on where you live/work and who you mix with I think, same as any other country.
Ta da!

I always find it odd when people talk about the UK's entrenched class system and how it affected them. As a Scottish pauper who moved down to London I reckon I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I experienced anything resembling elitism. Once at a party when a girl was aghast to learn that I was 'first generation university'. Another time I went to an assessment centre for a job where I was the only person there not Oxbridge...I didn't get the job, but neither did 10 of them!

Here I've met Aussies who sneer at anyone who got their secondary education in a state school...wouldn't even invite them for an interview, that sort of thing.

Much the same really.

I suppose I am talking about elitism though, not pretentiousness.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandoz
Bit tongue in cheek and a kind of poll really and yes I know it depends on area you live but overall what have been your experiences? Especially if you have lived in both.
Would especially like to hear from school mums who have experienced both.
I admit I lived a different life in oz, no children when I was living there. I mixed with people from different backgrounds and the last question anyone seemed to ask was 'so what do you do then?'

Here in the uk however it seems to be all about three questions 'what does your husband do?' , 'where do you live' (as in which street, proximity to oversubscribed school, period or non period property) and 'Do you work?'.
It seems over here in england to be as my nanna used to say all 'Kippers and curtains'

Anyway am sure this will illicit some strong responses so will duck for cover now.
Definitely UK, no doubt at all. A millenia of class hierarchy established by the Normans is hard to rub out. Your observations are astute, IMO. I notice, in a similar way that when I tell anyone about my degree, in Australia (same for US) the first question asked is what subject, whereas in the UK it's more often than not where?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
I suppose I am talking about elitism though, not pretentiousness.
I have to be honest and say that I can be very elitist at times which is different to pretentious.. but I have met elitism where it joins a bit of spunk and hard work - so it is seen as OK. There is nothing more satisfying than operating at a high level surrounded by like-minded people ...who also know how to take a few hard knocks....just to remind themselves that it's not all easy come - easy go. It's an outlook and can be very refreshing and it beats many other modes of operation...

Indeed. For others, it must create some sort of antagonism because if you know someone at the same grade as you and with the same broad education chances, if you then discover they have a very comfortable standard of living - there must occasionally be a sense of 'why me' - especially if your career has paralled theirs..same department perhaps same city...

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Definitely UK, no doubt at all. A millenia of class hierarchy established by the Normans is hard to rub out. Your observations are astute, IMO. I notice, in a similar way that when I tell anyone about my degree, in Australia (same for US) the first question asked is what subject, whereas in the UK it's more often than not where?
hmmmm..interesting. I had been here for years before I had even realised the relative pecking order of Melbourne Unis...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.