Diabetes

Old Nov 1st 2010, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

dazandleesa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Diabetes

Hoping to come over next year, my husband had diabetes (diet controlled) any ideas if we would have problems getting private medical insurance, would medicare cover him???
Ta
Leesa
Old Nov 1st 2010, 10:25 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diabetes

Originally Posted by dazandleesa
Hoping to come over next year, my husband had diabetes (diet controlled) any ideas if we would have problems getting private medical insurance, would medicare cover him???
Ta
Leesa
I already had health insurance when I was diagnosed with type 2, but I wouldn't imagine it would cause a great deal of problems. Ideally look for an insurer that covers you specifically for diabetes related issues, it'd probably come under one of the extras.

Once you get a GP, they'll probably put your husband on a care management plan, which gives you access to exercise programmes, podiatrists and dieticians (well it does here in NSW, I can't speak for anywhere else) Get them to sign a form for him for NDSS, which will then give him access to subsidised glucose testing strips and a range of other services.

Here's a link to Diabetes Australia, which gives you more information on what is covered in the state you're moving to, and information about NDSS.

Diabetes Australia