Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

And then it all went wrong!!!

Wikiposts

And then it all went wrong!!!

Old Dec 1st 2003, 9:10 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Rich, I know you've had a tough time of it, and you've every reason to be bitter, but.....

I agree that NZ can be short sighted in many aspects, and yes a very large amount of NZ's 'international' trade is with Australia. The second larest is with the EU, but I would guess most of that is with the UK then there's USA, Japan, and SE Asian countries (most of which speak English).

So in terms of language requirements - Japanese is about the only foreign language which is in demand in NZ, all the other major trading partners speak English. It's the main foreign language studied in school - once upon time people learnt French, and while you can still study it, due to NZ's location, it's not a hell of a lot of use. I don't know with languages your wife speaks....

It's worth remembering NZ is generally outside most of the world's main economic agreements, so when it comes to international trade, it has more in common with Brazil and India than it does with the UK and USA.

That doesn't excuse crappy ever changing immigration policies however - though you have to remember that all countries employ a 'PR first' employment policy - employers in the UK are the same as in NZ, with many not wishing to deal with the immigration process.

Anyway, you're very right about the reality being far harsher than the dream.... I hope you don't go away with too many negative views of NZ, though I can undertand why you would!

Best of luck,

Jon

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Hi there Wolfen,

I see by your avatar that you are off to NJ, NY....good luck to ya. You are not the only one to find that the shit really can hit the fan. We've had a nightmare 9 weeks in NZ, and we are heading back to the UK next year after an unplanned holiday. Sure the UK has it's problems, but I've never met a more short sighted country than NZ....it considers International Trading as dealings with OZ....ok if you say so. Add to that employers afraid of the whole immigration process and you have the beginnings of a major skilled worker shortage in the near future. There is even a closed attitude towards one man businesses regardless of their benefit to an area of NZ...basically, employ Kiwi's or go home.

Anyway, the reality is far harsher than the dream...it's good to see that you have found an alternative.

Rich.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

mamp is an unknown quantity at this point

Well my husband for many years wanted to live in australia. I agreed but my parents were against it. While we were validating our visas on a short reccy holiday my Dad died very suddenly. Within the year my Mum also died. I had a baby within this time and by the time we came to Aus i was pregnant with my second. All very stressful. I had no friends, very young children and my husband decided that Aus was not what he had expected. We went home.By this time we had 2 young children. House prices were going up in UK we rented for a year.. He got a job immediately and he was well paid, but he started to hanker after Aus!!!! After several arguements i gave in and said we would return to Aus . But he always has itchy feet. So Qatar here we come!!!!!! I suppose i really do not care where i live as i do not have any close relatives, only my brother who lives in the US!Had circumstances been better we probably would not have gone home. I am glad we did what we did and i have no regrets whatsoever.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 3:57 am
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: And then it all went wrong!!! part 2

Originally posted by wolfens_wife
Well here it is guys...... the dream is nearly over.
Hubby left for New Jersey yesterday dinnertime. Has phoned me since in despair as girl at the travel agent forgot to mention one little refuel - at Dubai!!!! so he travelling the wrong way around the world.
Yep.... its all gone wrong totally. Due to lack of jobs or should I say no jobs in his trade not only in Melbourne but the whole of OZ, we are all off to New Jersey on a contract job to make money fast before deciding whether to just come home to the UK. The telecoms / IT sector moves so rapid that even if you take a job outside your field for a while then you could get left behind. Hubby was not prepared to throw away 20 years of skills and I cant say I blame him.
So Im stuck in Melbourne, with 3 kids on my own, furniture has still not turned up, car-less and no washing machine, until Saturday 13th. Cant wait for the flight with 3 kids - 8mths, 2 and 6 on my own!!! JOY!
All our stuff is going into storage until we know what we are doing.
I miss my family and friends more than ever, and nobody can tell you how much until you find out for yourself! It just seems that family members get really ill after you leave. Brother had a car crash, brother in law had a thyroid removed etc etc.
With hubby at home all day... everyday, we argued like cat and dog, him blaming me for my stupid dream and wrecking everyones lives, me blaming him for not being able to get a job. So its taken its toll... very much so.

Plus points
We have met some lovely aussies. (h garrett) Heather and Matts relations were great... warm and friendly.

Weather in Melbourne, unpredicable but hot.

Beer and meat tastes great apparently (im veggie)

You can eat a whole flake in public without dozens of men giving you kind gestures

Bulk billing at doctors

Arnotts mini bear biscuits for kids - they are great!

Ezecomm cards and go bananas cards are brillant and a cheap way of phoning the UK.

and the not so good points

flies, TV, spiders, price of food in dearer, overall choice in general, doctors charges for prescriptions are expensive.

We live and learn, and I guess we are also lucky to be able to have a second choice of the States should we want to settle there and also make up our money quickly. Otherwise we are off home where we belong. Hopefully house prices might have dropped when/ if we return.

Nice comments please, Steve Bannister try to leave this one as I guess your NOT a samaritan from your previous comments.

michelle

Oh shoot Michelle,,

Dont realy know what to say have been reading wolfens posts since we found the site.... U both had such good dreams and aspirations.

So sorry to hear its not what you wanted almost brings a tear to your eye.
You have worked (all of you) so hard for this try to give it a little longer, Melbourne is not the only place in Oz?. Try to relax and take stock on what you have achived..... Good luck to you all.... Chest out Chin up and stiff uper thingie!!!. The flies get much less in the new year so i am told, spids not sure of, stick at it, your lucky you got hevs and mat round the corner

Our hopes and thoughts the Unies.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

What a sad story this is....

hope that you find happiness, wherever it may be.

Thanks for posting your experiences, makes the rest of us think about what could and might happen when we get there.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 1:12 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't seem to like hearing other's stern advice. Why not take some of your own...

"Most of us will be optimistic and give it 100% to try and make it work".

Doesn't sound like 100% to me...as my old 'ma used to say...soft as soap.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 1:39 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Florida_03
You don't seem to like hearing other's stern advice. Why not take some of your own...

"Most of us will be optimistic and give it 100% to try and make it work".

Doesn't sound like 100% to me...as my old 'ma used to say...soft as soap.
I can see what you are saying, but I think it is great that Michelle and Neil have felt able to post honestly on the forum, they posted honestly about their excitement looking forward to migrating and they have posted honestly about the difficulties they have had since arriving in OZ.

There is no shame in saying lets try something different, how do you measure the percentage of effort?, if you have a young family and your relationship is being pushed to its limits and there is a decreasing amount of money to sustain your family I reckon you have to know when to 'jump ship'.

No point saying I gave it 100% and went down with the ship now is there

They have now validated their visa's and have found an opprtunity to get some work and are willing to cross over to the States to do it. Pretty impressive to me. If they choose to return to Oz at any point in the next few years they will have much more realistic approach to job market and lifestyle issues that are important to them.

Michelle, make sure you new house in New jersey isn't infested with any creepy crawlies before you sign the lease.

Donna
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 1:48 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jirrupin
I can see what you are saying, but I think it is great that Michelle and Neil have felt able to post honestly on the forum, they posted honestly about their excitement looking forward to migrating and they have posted honestly about the difficulties they have had since arriving in OZ.

There is no shame in saying lets try something different, how do you measure the percentage of effort?, if you have a young family and your relationship is being pushed to its limits and there is a decreasing amount of money to sustain your family I reckon you have to know when to 'jump ship'.

No point saying I gave it 100% and went down with the ship now is there

They have now validated their visa's and have found an opprtunity to get some work and are willing to cross over to the States to do it. Pretty impressive to me. If they choose to return to Oz at any point in the next few years they will have much more realistic approach to job market and lifestyle issues that are important to them.

Michelle, make sure you new house in New jersey isn't infested with any creepy crawlies before you sign the lease.

Donna
Jumping ship is one thing, just need to make sure it's not from the frying pan into the fire. I cannot see how taking work on a temp visa in the USA is going to be easier. If they think Melbourne is tough, then I truly wish them all the best of luck in Jersey, where I would have more to worry about than spiders.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 2:21 pm
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by Florida_03
Jumping ship is one thing, just need to make sure it's not from the frying pan into the fire. I cannot see how taking work on a temp visa in the USA is going to be easier. If they think Melbourne is tough, then I truly wish them all the best of luck in Jersey, where I would have more to worry about than spiders.
I agree with you, but it seems their main motivation to move to New Jersey is to earn some money quickly, I don't think they have the same high expectations that they may have had moving to Melbourne.

I think they are trying to find ways to resolve the multiple problems they have encountered, and at least having work means they have will have the means to fund future choices.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

BJKLiffey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: And then it all went wrong!!!

Originally posted by Wolfen
For those who remember us, we wrapped up the computer 4th Sept and I havnt been back on this board since.

We arrived in Melbourne 12th Sept and I has been a complete nightmare since.

We are on the verge of leaving because of various reasons.

1. We chose Melbourne because we thought that there would be plenty of work in my area (Telecomms). THERE ISNT. Now faced with the dilema of moving to Sydney.

2. House we are renting may be infested with White Tails. Spent till 04:00 last night catching them to stop the kids from being bitten. Pest control coming out on Monday. Because of this my wife Michelle, does not want anything to do with spiders anymore which makes the option of moving to sydney impossible.

3. Michelle is missing her family immensley and has nobody out here other then me to turn too. Compounded by all the other stuff its making it worse.

We have worked out that we have 3 options.

1. Cut our losses and go home.
2. I have the option of contracting in the USA.
3. We stick it out in Melbourne, hope something jobwise turns up and the white tails disappear

I suppose I`m looking for others that have moved to Aus and found it tough for one reason or another but have got through and come out the other end.

Any words of encouragement greatly accepted.

Neil

Hi Neil,

I have sent you a PM.

Karen & Brendan
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 3:47 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by jandjuk
Rich, I know you've had a tough time of it, and you've every reason to be bitter, but.....

I agree that NZ can be short sighted in many aspects, and yes a very large amount of NZ's 'international' trade is with Australia. The second larest is with the EU, but I would guess most of that is with the UK then there's USA, Japan, and SE Asian countries (most of which speak English).

So in terms of language requirements - Japanese is about the only foreign language which is in demand in NZ, all the other major trading partners speak English. It's the main foreign language studied in school - once upon time people learnt French, and while you can still study it, due to NZ's location, it's not a hell of a lot of use. I don't know with languages your wife speaks....

It's worth remembering NZ is generally outside most of the world's main economic agreements, so when it comes to international trade, it has more in common with Brazil and India than it does with the UK and USA.

That doesn't excuse crappy ever changing immigration policies however - though you have to remember that all countries employ a 'PR first' employment policy - employers in the UK are the same as in NZ, with many not wishing to deal with the immigration process.

Anyway, you're very right about the reality being far harsher than the dream.... I hope you don't go away with too many negative views of NZ, though I can undertand why you would!

Best of luck,

Jon
Hi Jon,

I admit that some of my disappointment has been due to the crappy changing immigration policies which have cost my wife a job offer and myself a business application. My wife speaks German, Spanish and French...which I admit is not "as in demand" in NZ as Japanese or other Asian languages. However, companies that advertise as International when they trade with Austalia only outside their own borders, is a bit of a joke. I could class myself as an International Trader then as I have repaired for Germany, the USA and Spain....however, I wouldn't be so bold. Add to that, all the companies that supposedly do export to Europe such as the Wine industry, timber industry, meats and wool and general shipping, and you would anticipate the odd need for European languages. There's also the Tourism industry which should have a need to serve European visitors...I myself have lost count of the number of Germans and French specifically that visited the tourist office (whilst we were checking our emails before I got the home connection) to be told "sorry, we don't speak German / French". My wife then approached the tourism office for work, and was told...there's not much call for European languages...!!!

I don't think it's that the need is not there, it's just that NZers don't think beyond their own immediate city or at the most, country (but that's my humble opinion)...and when it comes to immigration hassles, they employers generally can't be hassled to get involved, whether there is actually any hassle or not...generally, they have made their minds up before you sit down for an interview (if you get that far).

Don't get me wrong....I love the general Kiwi's .. they are really friendly, I love the lack of crime, and the respect from kids that you don't get in the UK...I love the beach areas and the clean sea, and there is lots more I do like......but what I don't like is the way NZIS and employment agencies / employers treats potential immigrants.. like we are here for a free ride. I have a business which is rare to come across wherever you are in the world...there are no "luthier training schools", and my job is highly skilled, yet the NZIS made me feel that it was of no value depsite the obvious local demand..it was a case of "you won't employ Kiwi's?"..."sorry, we don't want you". The music stores I repaired for in the UK and the customers I served, were gutted when I left for NZ...yet I feel as though NZ's attitude to me is no better than to someone coming over here and opening a newsagents...what skill does that take beyond normal business acumen....?

If the business application guide I got from NZIS had been a little more specific about the criteria they expected a new business to meet within 3 years, then we wouldn't even be here....it's just too vague, but that's how the NZIS squeezes money out of foreign hopefuls IMO....be vague, they'll think they have a chance of getting PR in NZ, then when we have their cash, tell them NO if they are not a massively earning corporation. It all stinks, even the SMC has gone this way of vagueness, so as to get even more money from applicants to then tell them NO. My advice to the NZIS would be to make things clear...let people see exactly what you do and don't want...that way, those with dreams can see they'll never be a reality before they sell up and make the move. There are people out there with applications in, that make the move early (we had the job offer remember, so our situation is unique for that fact)...it's them that are most at risk of a huge cost and stress.

NZ would be fantastic without the NZIS.

Rich.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I'd like to know what happened to the origianl poster - this thread comes from OCt - where is he now?
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 5:08 pm
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by RichS
I'd like to know what happened to the origianl poster - this thread comes from OCt - where is he now?
He's in New Jersey, his wife has just posted on this thread take a look at the previous page
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all

Why did you choose Melbourne? Did you not do any research on your job opportunities etc prior to arriving? And naturally you are going to miss family, goes with the territory, same as it would in the states. Making a commitment to migrate should surely have been worth the research and thought. Sorry if I am not sympathetic but I get tired of Brits complaining. Why not check out www.seek.com.au www.jobserve.com.au and www.jobnet.com.au for job options. Also consider a new wife!

PS. I moved from UK 8 years ago and live in Sydney. So if you want to know anything drop me a line I may be able to help

Originally posted by Wolfen
For those who remember us, we wrapped up the computer 4th Sept and I havnt been back on this board since.

We arrived in Melbourne 12th Sept and I has been a complete nightmare since.

We are on the verge of leaving because of various reasons.

1. We chose Melbourne because we thought that there would be plenty of work in my area (Telecomms). THERE ISNT. Now faced with the dilema of moving to Sydney.

2. House we are renting may be infested with White Tails. Spent till 04:00 last night catching them to stop the kids from being bitten. Pest control coming out on Monday. Because of this my wife Michelle, does not want anything to do with spiders anymore which makes the option of moving to sydney impossible.

3. Michelle is missing her family immensley and has nobody out here other then me to turn too. Compounded by all the other stuff its making it worse.

We have worked out that we have 3 options.

1. Cut our losses and go home.
2. I have the option of contracting in the USA.
3. We stick it out in Melbourne, hope something jobwise turns up and the white tails disappear

I suppose I`m looking for others that have moved to Aus and found it tough for one reason or another but have got through and come out the other end.

Any words of encouragement greatly accepted.

Neil

Last edited by ahappychappy; Dec 2nd 2003 at 5:36 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 5:46 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ahappychappy
Why did you choose Melbourne? Did you not do any research on your job opportunities etc prior to arriving? And naturally you are going to miss family, goes with the territory, same as it would in the states. Making a commitment to migrate should surely have been worth the research and thought. Sorry if I am not sympathetic but I get tired of Brits complaining. Why not check out www.seek.com.au www.jobserve.com.au and www.jobnet.com.au for job options. Also consider a new wife!

PS. I moved from UK 8 years ago and live in Sydney. So if you want to know anything drop me a line I may be able to help
I wouldn't expect a lot of requests for help.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

wolfens_wife is an unknown quantity at this point

We choose Melbourne for a number of reasons..... houses are cheaper, climate needs less adjusting to get used to, seemed more kid friendly and there seemed to be plenty of jobs on these job boards in hubbys field paying the same as Sydney.
These job boards however have most jobs advertised that simply dont exist, and just to get agencies to get your CV with them.
Other jobs applied for, no one even bothers to reply.
I dont feel we are moaning, just telling it how it is. Afterall we came here of our own choice and rather than becoming whinging poms, we are leaving as OZ is not for us.

mich

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.