Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

And then it all went wrong!!!

And then it all went wrong!!!

Old Oct 5th 2003, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: And then it all went wrong!!!

Originally posted by Wolfen
For those who remember us, we wrapped up the computer 4th Sept and I havnt been back on this board since.

We arrived in Melbourne 12th Sept and I has been a complete nightmare since.

We are on the verge of leaving because of various reasons.

1. We chose Melbourne because we thought that there would be plenty of work in my area (Telecomms). THERE ISNT. Now faced with the dilema of moving to Sydney.

2. House we are renting may be infested with White Tails. Spent till 04:00 last night catching them to stop the kids from being bitten. Pest control coming out on Monday. Because of this my wife Michelle, does not want anything to do with spiders anymore which makes the option of moving to sydney impossible.

3. Michelle is missing her family immensley and has nobody out here other then me to turn too. Compounded by all the other stuff its making it worse.

We have worked out that we have 3 options.

1. Cut our losses and go home.
2. I have the option of contracting in the USA.
3. We stick it out in Melbourne, hope something jobwise turns up and the white tails disappear

I suppose I`m looking for others that have moved to Aus and found it tough for one reason or another but have got through and come out the other end.

Any words of encouragement greatly accepted.

Neil
Okay Neil, now I feel really awful as I haven't rung yet. I will ring you this week.

You've got me thinking that a meet up might be a good idea, so I've started a new thread asking if anyone is interested.

Regards
Old Oct 5th 2003, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Hi Wolfen
So sorry that all is not going well , we know how you both feel, you have probably read our story before so wont bore you with it all. But you have to give it longer , the rental we where in was terrible , we had rats in the roof , vandals smashing our car and perverts lets leave it at that . I wanted to go home , paul even started to hate his job , which he loved and had done for years. We didnt sleep , and i had terrible depression , kids hated it , so very bad all in all. We stuck it out for the 6 month lease , then got out , if we had money , i would have left before. Now we are in a house literally 3 streets away from before in a cauldisac , lovely house ( still renting ) , kids are happy , im working and meeting new people all the time , paul has now got promotion and things are looking up. This month we have been here 12 months and we have at this point no intentions of going back to the UK .
If possible ride the storm stick together and hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel , good luck
Joanne and Paul xx
Old Oct 5th 2003, 9:00 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Oh so sorry to hear of your nightmare, i'm panincking now as we are due to fly over in a couple of weeks!
All the others have made great suggestions, all of which i agree with, definately use the kids and school as a way to meet new people. Theres a lot more of us coming over really soon and Jay Kays meet is an excellent idea, try and hang in there, it can only get better mate
Old Oct 5th 2003, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Wolfen and family.

I hope your situation works out for you all. Best of luck !!

footie chick
Old Oct 5th 2003, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

Hi Wolfen,

Sorry to hear how you`re feeling at the moment, I`ve sent you a pm, keep at it, early days yet.

Chin up!

Loraine
Old Oct 5th 2003, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

kerrylm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Wolfen

I think we flew out of London the same day as you - 10th Sept? Anyway - we were going out for a look around and to get the feel of the place, we still haven't got visa yet. We wern't too impressed with Melbourne, so drove up to Sydney, which we loved! 12 hours drive or an hours flight - loads of work and we didn't think there was a huge difference in housing prices if you live just outside the City. Its worth a look surely! Even if you move to a different part of the UK it takes a few months to settle so a new Continent! Months and months. Good luck, the sun should be shining soon and that will make a massive difference.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Don't worry ! It's normal.

I have emigrated 3 times and each time I felt absolutely hysterical and semi-suicidal for the first three months. Husband usually takes it better than me but was worse on the move to Oz. In fact a year later and he is still moaning gently (He basically dislikes Aussies a lot).

Those first weeks you just want to get on the first plane home. You're lonely, you are homesick and every tiny thing is a huge effort because you have to learn and do everything all over again.

However You WILL get over the panic. Whether you will ever love Oz is another matter, but at least wait until the panic subsides so that you can make a rational rather than an emotional decision.

We are also infested with white tails - I think it relates to having huge old trees on our property, do you have any ? I vaccum every nook and cranny (including ceilings) every week which seems to control them, and when I do see one I spray it with any insect spray I can lay my hands on until it runs towards me to attack (they're like MM). When it gets close enough I squash it with a shoe - quite satisfying !

Good luck and don't give up just yet.

Old Oct 5th 2003, 4:54 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi Sunlover,
I like your advice about the hoovering. My favorite tool to get rid of spiders is the hoover.
Make sure that you have the 6ft long extension on it & then you can feel safe & know that they have gone to a better place.

Bye
Markeh.

Ps I don't like spiders.
I also plan to get a couple of dogs. I believe that they have there own removal system. (I must remember that next time they lick my face :scared: )
Old Oct 5th 2003, 6:51 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

For those who remember us, we wrapped up the computer 4th Sept and I havnt been back on this board since.

1. We chose Melbourne because we thought that there would be plenty of work in my area (Telecomms). THERE ISNT. Now faced with the dilema of moving to Sydney.

2. House we are renting may be infested with White Tails. Spent till 04:00 last night catching them to stop the kids from being bitten. Pest control coming out on Monday. Because of this my wife Michelle, does not want anything to do with spiders anymore which makes the option of moving to sydney impossible.

3. Michelle is missing her family immensley and has nobody out here other then me to turn too. Compounded by all the other stuff its making it worse.

3. We stick it out in Melbourne, hope something jobwise turns up and the white tails disappear

I suppose I`m looking for others that have moved to Aus and found it tough for one reason or another but have got through and come out the other end.

Neil
Hi Wolfen and Mrs Wolfen,

Hope you are feeling a bit better today.

As everyone else has said, don't give up. Get out and about and treat this first part as a sort of holiday, getting to know the place excercise. Be busy all the time and things will just fall into place. And if you don't feel that Melbourne is the place for you try somewhere else. You will know when it is right, just tike when you are buying a house.

And good luck with the job hunting!
Old Oct 5th 2003, 7:53 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

1. We chose Melbourne because we thought that there would be plenty of work in my area (Telecomms).

I've worked out that you've only got 1 option. DEAL WITH IT!

1. You THOUGHT there was plenty of work? THOUGHT? You take your family half way across the world and don't FIND OUT first? Newspapers, on-line agencies, never heard of these?

2. You must have missed all the threads about spiders then? There were only one or two a week! That's why man invented slippers! Get the bug man round and fumigate. Simple. Did you honestly expect no spiders in Melbourne?

3. It's been 3 weeks, of course she's going to miss family. But they're not there so deal with it. Tell her to hoover up the spiders 'till the bug man gets there to take her mind off of it.

If you've given up after 3 weeks then please come back and let somebody who is serious about emigrating have a go! The only let so many in each year, so somebody else has missed out now.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 8:06 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally posted by SteveBannister
I've worked out that you've only got 1 option. DEAL WITH IT!

1. You THOUGHT there was plenty of work? THOUGHT? You take your family half way across the world and don't FIND OUT first? Newspapers, on-line agencies, never heard of these?

2. You must have missed all the threads about spiders then? There were only one or two a week! That's why man invented slippers! Get the bug man round and fumigate. Simple. Did you honestly expect no spiders in Melbourne?

3. It's been 3 weeks, of course she's going to miss family. But they're not there so deal with it. Tell her to hoover up the spiders 'till the bug man gets there to take her mind off of it.

If you've given up after 3 weeks then please come back and let somebody who is serious about emigrating have a go! The only let so many in each year, so somebody else has missed out now.
A bit harsh Mr Bannister. I think some moral support is needed, not a telling off.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 8:23 pm
I Love Brisbane !

Brisgal is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Neil,

sorry to hear about your problems.

I have worked in the Telecomms field in Brisbane for the past 5 years (as a Prog / Trainer for Samsung). Work in this field has dried up somewhat with many companies shutting their doors due to competition from bigger multi/nationals. I heard from a mate who works for a large telecomms company in Melbourne that sales etc down there were terrible and he was scared of being made redundant. Might I suggest trying for a job with Telstra or Optus?? They are large companies that have a lot of different departments. What kind of work do you do??

AS for the spiders... as someone said once you fumigate they will be gone. Not nice I know, but once they are gone, that's it! You were unlucky to say the least.

Your poor wife, how I know homesickness (I moved to the UK in February) and felt homesick for my family and Brisbane terribly at first. Still after a while we got a webcam on both ends so I could see my family whenever I liked, made things easier. Once I had lived here a couple of months I felt ok. I had a job so went somewhere everyday where I had (and still do) contact with other people and am not stuck at home letting my homesickness take over. It is so normal for her to be feeling this way, I think most of us (bing human) feel the emotions compounded when we do something like move across the world, away from our 'comfort zone'.

3 weeks is too short IMO to make a rash decision. Once the spider situation is under control, you can start making your home feel like HOME! Try to integrate as much as possible and get out and about, don't sit at home and think of the UK, or you might as well have stayed put!

Remember the reasons you came to Oz in the first place....

good luck and persevere!!

BG
Old Oct 6th 2003, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Wolfens,

I'm really sorry you're both having a rough time. The first few weeks are always the worst as everyone has told you. Every little thing just seems like the last straw.

I've heard telecomms jobs are in short supply everywhere in the world right now. As everyone has advised - look for a job anywhere in Oz and move or else consider alternative job options until the market improves. Maybe a career change to go along with the new life?

By peak summer Melbourne suburbs and Sydney suburbs will be almost indistinguishable. And at least in Melbourne you can afford to live somewhere where it's possible to get to downtown in less than 1.5 hours. Your timing's just been a bit unfortunate. It's just the change of seasons that's awkward as Melbourne's weather lags behind Sydney's in the warming up and fineing up stakes. Everything will seem much better once the sun shines.

Spiders? Ugh. And I'm an Aussie. We had huge flying roaches in Sydney that used to scuttle around under the stairs at night making as much noise as mice. As the Daleks said: Exterminate! Exterminate! This is no time to think Green.

Best wishes and hope to see you there in a few weeks,

Jo
Old Oct 6th 2003, 1:00 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Neil
You say you are renting. Get on to the landlord/estate agent to have the house pest controlled - they must pay the money for it to be sprayed ,not you. I do not know the rights in your state but here in Queensland the landlord must annually pest control the house. Also the law is that the house must be "liveable" (which means in a fit state of repair , and not crawling with pests) . If it is infested by pests - you have rights! . The body which covers your rights is the RTA here in Queensland (not sure about Melbourne.. you'll have to check) . If it's just the odd spider - that is normal. But if like you say it is infested, there are laws protecting you. Go and get a handbook, or search the net for renting laws in Victoria. The landlord has a responsibility to rent out a house which is free from pests. You don't have to put up with a house which is infested by pests.

cheers

P>S about your other points.. give it a year and see how you both feel in a years time, I agree with the others who say three weeks is too short a time to make any decisions. Set yourself a time limit, like a year. If you still don't like it , well cut your losses and go .
Your problems like home sickness will not be solved by moving to another country. Look in your community paper for volunteer work for your wife, it's a good way of meeting people. .. The library should also have lists of organisations . http://www.rspcavic.org/ (always looking for volunteers from working in their shops to helping out in the kennels ) http://www.conservationvolunteers.com.au/ .
There are heaps of volunteer groups in Aus . Look in your paper, library or search the net.

Work wise - I haven't got a clue about jobs in your industry so I can't advise you. Have you checked the other states for vacancies in your line of work.

http://common.seek.com.au/jobsearch....iteKey=AUSMAIN

http://www.careerone.com.au/ (these cover most jobs that are also advertised in the major papers)

Good luck
Old Oct 6th 2003, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

The biggest site for IT jobs in Oz is jobnet:

www.jobnet.com.au

Have you looked on that site and set up a daily email of jobs? I just did a basic search for "telecom" (to pick up telecomms, telecommunications, etc) anywhere and came up with 175 jobs including contracts and some jobs outside Oz. 27 were in Melbourne - mostly Project Manager or Data Analyst but there was the odd technical job.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.