Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

And then it all went wrong!!!

And then it all went wrong!!!

Old Oct 6th 2003, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Wolfen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: And then it all went wrong!!!

Good job your not a f`$#king samaritan. Another tosser to add to my ignore list....

Thanks for nothing

Originally posted by SteveBannister
I've worked out that you've only got 1 option. DEAL WITH IT!

1. You THOUGHT there was plenty of work? THOUGHT? You take your family half way across the world and don't FIND OUT first? Newspapers, on-line agencies, never heard of these?

2. You must have missed all the threads about spiders then? There were only one or two a week! That's why man invented slippers! Get the bug man round and fumigate. Simple. Did you honestly expect no spiders in Melbourne?

3. It's been 3 weeks, of course she's going to miss family. But they're not there so deal with it. Tell her to hoover up the spiders 'till the bug man gets there to take her mind off of it.

If you've given up after 3 weeks then please come back and let somebody who is serious about emigrating have a go! The only let so many in each year, so somebody else has missed out now.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the words of encouragement from everyone apart from tosser (bannister) and Meglamania.

I am normally strong and resilient but eventually there is only so much `everyone` can take.

I WILL get back on my feet

W

Last edited by Wolfen; Oct 6th 2003 at 3:04 am.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 3:10 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Wolfen
Thanks for the words of encouragement from everyone apart from tosser (bannister) and Meglamania.

I am normally strong and resilient but eventually there is only so much `everyone` can take.

W

Yeah,

That post from Bannister was way out of order. It reminded me of some of the dickheads at college telling me that some poor aspiring Hotel Manager couldn't persue their dream because I was taking up a place on a Catering course and had decided in the second year that I didn't want to go into the industry.

Give yourself a bit of time, I understand the weather has been pretty crap in Vic. Maybe go on holiday. Do you have kids? your Mrs will quickly make new friends through school.

Honestly mate, stick it out. Why not apply for some different work to tide you over?

Good luck ,

Dan
Old Oct 6th 2003, 5:46 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

There you go, that's better!

Sorry for the short, sharp shock treatment, but it works!
Old Oct 6th 2003, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

I already had the `I will get back on my feet` mentality before you came along.... It wasnt a short, sharp shock treatment you gave out. It was heartless and pathetic.

At least I know I`m better than you.

There you go, that's better!

Sorry for the short, sharp shock treatment, but it works!
Old Oct 6th 2003, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I think Wolfen is dealing with it. He posted on this forum, said how he felt and how things are for him.

This forum is for support, information and help. Wolfen is looking for support and advice from others. To me thats delaing with it.

It matters not how much research that you do nothing can prepare you for life here. You can look at the job situation and see loads of positions advertised, contact the agencies and the lying scum will tell you theres loads of jobs.

Reality is lots of people come here after being in the same job for years and now find themselves looking for work and marketing themselves for the first time in years thats without the interview. Its a different culture here. Not all of us are "top" of our proffessions not all of us are being head hunted, most are just normal working class gadgys.

You can be aware of spiders and nasties but nothing prepares you for an infestation. Nothing can prepare you for the size of a huntsman.

The winter weather can be diabolical but I dont think many realise how bad it can be.

Some of us are not coming here with piles of cash, we are not living mortgage free, we dont have the big boats, 4 wheel drives etc. (For those that do good on ya, you worked for it) but for the average person its not easy here and I doubt anyone thinks its easy.

At "home" you are dealing with one problem at a time, usually only one of you is down, here you stick a load of problems in the pot at the same time, no job, bad weather, wife not happy, kids not happy, accomodation not what you expected, area not what you thought etc etc. All that gets you down and to make it worse you are both miserable and maybe even the kids. Some days worse than others, you start to think what you left behind, why you did it etc. etc. etc. Normal feelings, but the difference is you have no mates to go and complain to. You dont have your favourite place or pub to chill out at.

So if you can't tell how you feel on this forum and have the support of others where can you go. We need the posts saying its working out for us, we need posts from those its not going right for, together we can get each other through the rough bits.

Wolfen remember this.

From out of the gloom a voice said unto me.
Smile and be happy, things could be worse,
So I smiled and was happy,
And behold things did get worse. !!

Almays makes me smile.

Last edited by karawara88; Oct 6th 2003 at 6:15 am.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 6:41 am
owieb

Originally posted by karawara88
Well I think Wolfen is dealing with it. He posted on this forum, said how he felt and how things are for him.

This forum is for support, information and help. Wolfen is looking for support and advice from others. To me thats delaing with it.

It matters not how much research that you do nothing can prepare you for life here. You can look at the job situation and see loads of positions advertised, contact the agencies and the lying scum will tell you theres loads of jobs.

Reality is lots of people come here after being in the same job for years and now find themselves looking for work and marketing themselves for the first time in years thats without the interview. Its a different culture here. Not all of us are "top" of our proffessions not all of us are being head hunted, most are just normal working class gadgys.

You can be aware of spiders and nasties but nothing prepares you for an infestation. Nothing can prepare you for the size of a huntsman.

The winter weather can be diabolical but I dont think many realise how bad it can be.

Some of us are not coming here with piles of cash, we are not living mortgage free, we dont have the big boats, 4 wheel drives etc. (For those that do good on ya, you worked for it) but for the average person its not easy here and I doubt anyone thinks its easy.

At "home" you are dealing with one problem at a time, usually only one of you is down, here you stick a load of problems in the pot at the same time, no job, bad weather, wife not happy, kids not happy, accomodation not what you expected, area not what you thought etc etc. All that gets you down and to make it worse you are both miserable and maybe even the kids. Some days worse than others, you start to think what you left behind, why you did it etc. etc. etc. Normal feelings, but the difference is you have no mates to go and complain to. You dont have your favourite place or pub to chill out at.

So if you can't tell how you feel on this forum and have the support of others where can you go. We need the posts saying its working out for us, we need posts from those its not going right for, together we can get each other through the rough bits.

Wolfen remember this.

From out of the gloom a voice said unto me.
Smile and be happy, things could be worse,
So I smiled and was happy,
And behold things did get worse. !!

Almays makes me smile.
Good post karawara88, but I do partly agree with what Mr Bannister is saying.

This forum is for support and information and the people who have been living here have been posting about how bad the job situation is, that winter weather can be miserable and how there are bugs and spiders (and even including pictures of them). But as we have seen time and time again people in the UK tend to ignore this information and merely put it down as whinging.

It's a shame that Wolfen hasn't had the "dream" start, but it will make others seriously think about the whole emigration process.

All credit to Wolfen for being honest and telling people how he is feeling; and given a bit of time I'm sure he will find his feet and everything will slot into place just like it has for many of us out here.

Old Oct 6th 2003, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

But as we have seen time and time again people in the UK tend to ignore this information and merely put it down as whinging.
You are right, we can but try.

But with a day like to day in Perth who wants to work.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Wolfen,
glad to see from your posts that you are getting on top of your problems. Sorry to say it but I too thought a few weeks were a bit soon to be highlighting the negatives and talking of packing up. It will be tough, you don't have to have done it to know that. How tough is a different matter and only you can deal with it, as you will. I get homesick and restless after a week of a two week holiday! Stick with it. Take up the offer of get togethers, buy the webcam, be prepared for the crap days and make the most of the good days. Eventually there will be more good than bad. Report back in a few months. All the best. LMS (Samaritans am we)
Old Oct 6th 2003, 7:50 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

W
You're going to need to sharpen the elbows if you want to get to the feeding trough.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 8:01 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Wolfens

Really felt for you when we read your post. We haven't been here long in Perth (7 weeks).

We're lucky to have a pretty good support group of mates which makes things so much easier, but its still hard.

We're desperately looking for work and really do need to find something soon. (Aaaaah the money thing!)

Please don't lose heart and ignore the 'pull your socks up' posts.
(Mmmmm such compassion! - so touching - not.)

Try posting all the ways that you've looked for work (be specific) someone else may be able to add some constructive info. I had scant luck until I got involved with HAYS who really got it going for me.

Guys hang in there. X
Old Oct 6th 2003, 8:07 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Cluck clucking "compassion" is not worth the electrons its written with.

IF you want some good oil, try:
How to get a job in Oz/NZ - opinions
Old Oct 6th 2003, 8:11 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

hope it works out for you

was reading another post saying that the IT industry is dead in Aus at the moment has me kind of scared as that is what i work in.

keep us posted as how it goes for you -its posts like yours that really help show the realities of moving and what to expect-not that it will change peoples minds if they want to/can go but it at least shows what to potentially expect and plan financially/socially around this.Not everybody has a support network waiting for them out there.

all the best
Old Oct 6th 2003, 8:12 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

1. You THOUGHT there was plenty of work? THOUGHT? You take your family half way across the world and don't FIND OUT first? Newspapers, on-line agencies, never heard of these?

2. You must have missed all the threads about spiders then? There were only one or two a week! That's why man invented slippers! Get the bug man round and fumigate. Simple. Did you honestly expect no spiders in Melbourne?

3. It's been 3 weeks, of course she's going to miss family. But they're not there so deal with it. Tell her to hoover up the spiders 'till the bug man gets there to take her mind off of it.

If you've given up after 3 weeks then please come back and let somebody who is serious about emigrating have a go! The only let so many in each year, so somebody else has missed out now.
I guess that you don't have many friends do you Steve Bannister, or if you do, then they obviously don't rely on you for emotional intelligence.

First class *****w*t*age.

Last edited by Pookin; Oct 6th 2003 at 8:25 am.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 9:21 am
Badge

Wolfen mate

its unfortunate that you haven't had the "honeymoon" / 2 week settling in period that so many arriving expats experience.

If you get out of that house, and/ or solve the problem with the spiders things WILL look up. And spring is just around the corner!

hang in there!

badge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.