Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

And then it all went wrong!!!

And then it all went wrong!!!

Old Oct 6th 2003, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Wolfen,

Really felt for you as I read your post.

We fly out at the end of the month and after a short holiday with relatives in Queensland will be in Melbourne in mid November.

We hardly know a soul there, mostly people we have met on this site, and at the mo most of my optimism has left me and I'm as scared as anything. Do try and stay a little longer. I have lived and worked in america and Africa and I can remember it took a while to settle. There is a lot of us going over in Nov so if you and your wife could meet up with us all that would be good. I know we are not family, but just meeting people in the same situation as you can really help.

The very best of luck!
Old Oct 6th 2003, 9:51 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wolfen\Wolfens wife

Sorry to hear you had such a bad start. We're going to be arriving at the beginning of November. Great to here about the plauge of whitetails :scared: NOT.

I think your feelings are quite understandable, your feet hardly through the door and the shit starts to hit the fan. Don't give up though!!!

Like a lot of people have said there are a lot of us coming to Melb shortly. I think we will all need a bit/lot (delete where appropriate) of support. I'll certainly be up for a few beers with the newbies (But seeing as tyour there already you can do the barbie )
Old Oct 6th 2003, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Wolfen is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all the support guys.... we really appreciate it so much.
It did get worse ... early sunday morning we set off control bombs for the whitetails and they were all dropping out of the ventilation system from the ceiling... we were terrifed to say the least!! Little 2 year old did unfortunately get bitten on the neck in his sleep but pleased to say no reaction. Docs say they are not that bad and necrosis is a 1 in 100 chance.
The pest control guy turned up today and sprayed the lot outside and in and havent seen a thing since apart from a dead redback outside front door. Eldest boy (6) started school today and loves it!!
Poggle (Kath) came over today and chatted to my wife and made her feel alot better (Thanks Kath).

Started a course today to gain another qualification to help on the job front..

Things seem to be starting to improve.

W
Old Oct 6th 2003, 10:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like things are looking up for Wolfen; let us know how you go, and how the kiddie does at school. Hopefully once friendships get formed things will improve still further.
Good luck,
Old Oct 6th 2003, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Port Talbot, South Wales to Ascot Vale, Melbourne
jonah66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wolfen

Things seem to be starting to improve.

W
Hang in there Wolfen.

Old Oct 6th 2003, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad things are looking up for you Wolfen - much better than you looking up for things falling!

Seang - the IT industry is pretty much dead everywhere in the world at the moment. Even in Oz outsourcing to India and now China is the rule. We are IT bods too (I taught at Sydney Uni and NSW Uni and we had a contracting biz in the UK). Friends in IT in Sydney are hanging onto their jobs for dear life and being worked like dogs.

Moving to a small city like Perth the options will be even less but they're not that great in Syd/Mel either right now. Most of IT is a dying industry in the Western world so you might as well face reality about that and there's no point in me being positive about it.

Might be worth starting to consider other job options not just for the short term. A number of people we know are becoming plumbers and electricians - anything that has to be done locally and can't be outsourced.

If you don't have any alternative ideas/plans and have an IT job at the moment for God's sake don't leave it - even to emigrate!!!!!
Old Oct 6th 2003, 11:34 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Seang - the IT industry is pretty much dead everywhere in the world at the moment. Even in Oz outsourcing to India and now China is the rule. We are IT bods too (I taught at Sydney Uni and NSW Uni and we had a contracting biz in the UK). Friends in IT in Sydney are hanging onto their jobs for dear life and being worked like dogs.

Moving to a small city like Perth the options will be even less but they're not that great in Syd/Mel either right now. Most of IT is a dying industry in the Western world so you might as well face reality about that and there's no point in me being positive about it.

Might be worth starting to consider other job options not just for the short term. A number of people we know are becoming plumbers and electricians - anything that has to be done locally and can't be outsourced.

If you don't have any alternative ideas/plans and have an IT job at the moment for God's sake don't leave it - even to emigrate!!!

thanks jolyn-have a job but want to go anyways-have been thinking of retraining for a while -this might make me do something about it rather than thinking about it.thanks though looking at the jobs available in IT on sites -i at least wasnt under any false impressions.wont hi jack this thread any more

w-hope it continues to improve
Old Oct 6th 2003, 12:38 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

IT is still recovering in this hell hole, nevermind anywhere else in the world. No more than 5% of IT or telco's companies will deliver there business plans, they are at the mercy of shareholders who have picked up on the cheap & have no idea of the future.

I hope things get sorted for you soon, tho it is difficult to settle anywhere in under 2 years, perhaps 1 or 2 are jumping the gun but maybe they are still waiting for a visa.

I myself got frustrated when i heard someone comming back after a year, it is just too soon to give up something that took ages to win, we will all have to fight to get what we want from oz & at the same time the fear of failure in going back home may motivate others, it will me.
Re visit your old postings, i used to enjoy reading them, & loved wifey's avtar, from these postings you will settle in easily, just get up & go for it, you have more to offer oz than the uk.
Good luck.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 2:14 pm
tennisoz

Default Re: And then it all went wrong!!!

For those who remember us, we wrapped up the computer 4th Sept and I havnt been back on this board since.

We arrived in Melbourne 12th Sept and I has been a complete nightmare since.

We are on the verge of leaving because of various reasons.

1. We chose Melbourne because we thought that there would be plenty of work in my area (Telecomms). THERE ISNT. Now faced with the dilema of moving to Sydney.

2. House we are renting may be infested with White Tails. Spent till 04:00 last night catching them to stop the kids from being bitten. Pest control coming out on Monday. Because of this my wife Michelle, does not want anything to do with spiders anymore which makes the option of moving to sydney impossible.

3. Michelle is missing her family immensley and has nobody out here other then me to turn too. Compounded by all the other stuff its making it worse.

We have worked out that we have 3 options.

1. Cut our losses and go home.
2. I have the option of contracting in the USA.
3. We stick it out in Melbourne, hope something jobwise turns up and the white tails disappear

I suppose I`m looking for others that have moved to Aus and found it tough for one reason or another but have got through and come out the other end.

Any words of encouragement greatly accepted.

Neil
Neil and family

Just another message to add to all the other good posts encouraging you to stick in there. I've been through the same in reverse, moving to Scotland from Oz (Melbourne). Arrived in February and had a week of snow having not experienced it before; also didn't have a job; felt homesick. However, stuck in, got a job, weather picked up (a bit!), love it here.

Incidentally, which part of Melbourne are you in? I'm from Williamstown, hardly seen a spider there in my life! Redback on the dunny seat - that's when you worry.

Good advice about joining in and taking part in things and the meeting up of expats (see another thread here) gives you a support group etc.

Good luck to you and your family (and to everyone else)

TennisOz

P.S. You are doing better than the couple who migrated to Melbourne, got the taxi driver to turn around on the way to the City Centre and went back to England. Seriously!! The taxi driver said he didn't get them passed Essendon which is less than 5 miles from the airport.

Old Oct 6th 2003, 3:44 pm
ems
Forum Regular

ems is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad things seem to be starting to look up for you now, we'll be heading out there in Nov too and I can sympathise with your wife, I know i'm going to miss my family too.

The whole process of emigrating is full of ups and downs, although you've had a major downer to begin with hopefully the only way is up!

Look forward to meeting everyone heading there at the same time, maybe we can all give each other plenty of moral support

em
Old Oct 6th 2003, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

For those who remember us, we wrapped up the computer 4th Sept and I havnt been back on this board since.

1. We chose Melbourne because we thought that there would be plenty of work in my area (Telecomms). THERE ISNT. Now faced with the dilema of moving to Sydney.

2. House we are renting may be infested with White Tails. Spent till 04:00 last night catching them to stop the kids from being bitten. Pest control coming out on Monday. Because of this my wife Michelle, does not want anything to do with spiders anymore which makes the option of moving to sydney impossible.

3. Michelle is missing her family immensley and has nobody out here other then me to turn too. Compounded by all the other stuff its making it worse.

3. We stick it out in Melbourne, hope something jobwise turns up and the white tails disappear

I suppose I`m looking for others that have moved to Aus and found it tough for one reason or another but have got through and come out the other end.

Neil

40 years ago I came to Canada alone!!!!!!! I was so home sick for my mum and dad i wanted to die. dirty appartment no job rellies i didnt know. took a look in the paper went for interview. lady from England said ".....Oh your from England" I burst out crying she took me under her wing never looked back ... it is sooo normal. cheer up you have done the right thing .
It's hard for you with wife and children who look at you when things go wrong but you have no one to look at ..... "quote" When things get tough the tough get going...
Old Oct 6th 2003, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Hi Wolfen & Wife

I was really sad to see your original post as i remember how impatient you were and how excited you were when you and i were waiting for and got our visas.

Try not to put too much pressure on yourselves to succeed straight away, most of the success stories you read here have taken years to happen, try to be as positive as you can like the spiders have gone, thats a big positive. Give yourself small goals to aim for and most of all have some fun, that's what you are there for, its easy to say have a holiday but finances dont always allow for that, but have some chill out time, spend quality time with the kids and enjoy.

Oh and mrs wolfen, dont moan at him too much its not his fault

Lynn
Old Oct 6th 2003, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Neil
Hi Neil
as everyone else has said, try to stick with it for at least a couple of months, look for work elsewhere etc.
what i will say is whatever you and mrs wolfen decide you haven't failed you went and tried it!
best of luck whatever you decide
regards
rach & family
Old Oct 6th 2003, 8:33 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hope you can ride the bad luck that has hit you and you come out the other side smiling!
the very best of luck to you all...

sue
Old Oct 6th 2003, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Try and stick with it Wolfen, Mrs Wolfen and baby Wolfens.
Remember how much you really wanted this, and how impatient you were to get out their and start your new life.
We all go through bad patches, and that won't change whether you are here or there, it just seems a lot worse because of your recent move. I am sure that we will all have those moments in one way or another, and when we post on here, you will be here to pull us through those moments.
Good luck to you Wolfen, I will keep my fingers crossed that life is a little easier on you and you all get through this very difficult time.

Whisky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.