Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

And then it all went wrong!!!

And then it all went wrong!!!

Old Dec 4th 2003, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: And then it all went wrong!!!

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Also, Agencies do advertise fake jobs (I should know my wife used to be in recruitment), and they do it to build a candidate list, so that should a job turn up in the future, they have access to people that may be able to fill it. They'll tell you enormous lies on the phone just to get you into their offices and onto their list, certainly those lies are ten fold when they know you are on the other side of the world. Newspapers do the same...they are called trawler ads and they simply do the same thing, build a prospective candidate base...some employers have to advertise by law, though the position is always prospectively filled before the ad is placed. I'm not saying it's impossible to get a job, but in reality in this day and age, it can seem rosy from 12,000 miles away, but then you arrive and its all a facade...

Rich.
Interesting Rich. This is my main worry - how the hell to find out if there are jobs. We know it ain't gonna be plain sailing and aren't planning on walking into a 'perfect' job straight away anyway. I trust my husband and know that he will sort something out eventually. It's highly unfair on people like ourselves though isn't it? But that's business for you!

Noodle
Old Dec 4th 2003, 7:07 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by noodle
Interesting Rich. This is my main worry - how the hell to find out if there are jobs. We know it ain't gonna be plain sailing and aren't planning on walking into a 'perfect' job straight away anyway. I trust my husband and know that he will sort something out eventually. It's highly unfair on people like ourselves though isn't it? But that's business for you!

Noodle
Hi Noodle,

Looks like your from my home county of Cheshire...a place we are now returning to.....

Anyway, all I can suggest is that you come over prior to the actual emigration and stay for a few weeks, just so that you can check the market out first hand. One or both of you could always return to arrange shipping of furniture etc if a job is sorted out. We shipped everything over on a job offer and the Gen Skills application, but it all went wrong when the immigration policy changed. This knocked on, so we have to return....don't get into the same position as we did...it's stressful and expensive.

Good luck, Rich
Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

>>how the hell to find out if there are jobs...

The main and safest way to make the move is to secure a job before you leave. I know this is easier said than done, but justs coming out on speck, you have to acept the reality and not head out adamant that you will be there to stay (or as long as you want).

IMO you can only treat this as a jaunt at best, if you get a job great, if not move on.

If you are going to ship all your stuff out to another country that you can only stay in if you make enough money, it is highly risky financially.

If after a period of time you don't secure a job then you shouldn't be suprised when you have to head elsewhere, it's part of the territory you have chosen in not securing a job upfront.

I did secure a job plus had never been to NZ before I arrived about 8months ago and things are great here. I guess also becasue I havn't had the added crap to sort out that some may (due to the above)?

Explore the various scenarious you can find yourself in and be prepared for the eventualities. Have a game plan.

I know it's a catch22 to a certain extent on the job front and if you find you want to come out without a job, fine. Just be prepared to head home once the money dries up.

Don't treat it as if you have emigrated , as to do this suggests you have means to stay for an indefinate period (all things being equal) if desired...

Good luck. As a holiday or a place to live, NZ is a fab place. Provided you don't have the world on your shoulders job hunting and worrying about everything cause nowhere is nice under those conditions...

Take it easy,

WOS
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:28 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Hi there,

The situation we found ourselves in with the job ofer pulled, should be very rare - it occurred with the removal of the GS route, so that shouldn't cause a problem now. If you can secure a job prior to coming to NZ, you should be ok.

What is it you do WOS? Just wondered as you are in a fairly remote part of NZ?

cheers, Rich.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

>>What is it you do...

I write and design financial Software for a firm in Christchurch...

WOS
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:35 pm
Life's next chapter is?

Originally posted by WheelsOfSteel
>>What is it you do...

I write and design financial Software for a firm in Christchurch...

WOS
Ah yes, the heady world of IT......

Rich.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

IT/Technology, etc has been good for me. Pays well and provided you have the experience and knowlege you can usually get a good contract/job. Can also be interesting.

Plus, having worked in London for many years in Investment Banking, I brought alot of experience with me... Hence, I didn't find it too dificult to move...

WOS
Old Dec 4th 2003, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all

G' Day Noodle,

This practise of advertising a certain amount of positions that do not exist is not something confined to OZ. It happens in the UK as well. My Sister worked in three agencies in the UK and gave me a run down of how it basically works (as others have mentioned on this site). As you know I work in IT and my experience is that it has been hard to find work in OZ. But it is also my belief that things are picking up. Simular to the UK maybe?

I have a friend here who is Jordanian and he too is in IT. He was unemployed for approx 10 months (after his company folded). During that period he did casual work to support himself. Frustrated with the lack of opportunity he departed OZ about 15 months ago. He tried but could not find anything in Europe or the Middle East so came back to OZ 5 months ago. Recently landed himself a very good role and is naturally pleased with it. He is a person who makes things happen for himself so "good on him".

From what you have said before you strike me as two people who have their eyes open and who will make a success of it if you choose to migrate to this fine land. Just take note from other posts that mention that it CAN take time to land a good role, and that this is governed to some extent as it is in the UK by the geographical location you move to.

Regards.

Noodle

Last edited by ahappychappy; Dec 4th 2003 at 11:51 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by ahappychappy
G' Day Noodle,

This practise of advertising a certain amount of positions that do not exist is not something confined to OZ. It happens in the UK as well. My Sister worked in three agencies in the UK and gave me a run down of how it basically works (as others have mentioned on this site). As you know I work in IT and my experience is that it has been hard to find work in OZ. But it is also my belief that things are picking up. Simular to the UK maybe?

I have a friend here who is Jordanian and he too is in IT. He was unemployed for approx 10 months (after his company folded). During that period he did casual work to support himself. Frustrated with the lack of opportunity he departed OZ about 15 months ago. He tried but could not find anything in Europe or the Middle East so came back to OZ 5 months ago. Recently landed himself a very good role and is naturally pleased with it. He is a person who makes things happen for himself so "good on him".

From what you have said before you strike me as two people who have their eyes open and who will make a success of it if you choose to migrate to this fine land. Just take note from other posts that mention that it CAN take time to land a good role, and that this is governed to some extent as it is in the UK by the geographical location you move to.

Regards.
Hiya

Yes, I do believe that they do the same thing here to get people on their books Never mind. My husband has been checking out the jobs in this country just out of interest and it seems that there are more jobs for my husband over there than there are here. When he first started thinking about heading towards his CCIE, there were plenty of jobs and really well paid (between £60-£100k), but there aren't many now and they certainly not paying as much! Do you know of any IT agencies around you? Glad it worked out for your friend, it's a shame that he had to travel around the world first!!

Noodle
Old Dec 5th 2003, 8:22 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

Yes, I do believe that they do the same thing here to get people on their books Never mind. My husband has been checking out the jobs in this country just out of interest and it seems that there are more jobs for my husband over there than there are here. When he first started thinking about heading towards his CCIE, there were plenty of jobs and really well paid (between £60-£100k), but there aren't many now and they certainly not paying as much! Do you know of any IT agencies around you? Glad it worked out for your friend, it's a shame that he had to travel around the world first!!

Noodle
Hi Noodle,

Candle are supposed to be one of the better agencies, only advertise real jobs etc.

Try

http://www.candlerecruit.com/content/pageh.asp?ID=1

Jane
Old Dec 5th 2003, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Jane

I shall pass that on to hubby!

Noodle.