Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

And then it all went wrong!!!

And then it all went wrong!!!

Old Oct 6th 2003, 11:35 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Wolfen how long have you been out here? Is it a month yet? Every post about IT/tech jobs have been about waiting up to a year for work. Comms is quiet everywhere.

People go on about Jobnet having loads of jobs. It is very misleading when the same jobs are posted multiple times by the different agencies. Agencies are also posting dummy jobs to harvest CVs to make them look good to employers. There are a lot of unemployed comms workers out there from the savage cuts that have been made over the recent years,

As far as spiders go this is Australia. Creepy crawlies are a fact of life. The Mrs has to learn how to deal with them.

Your post is demonstrates the trauma of emmigrating. I do hope you get work soon but I also hope that you have planned for 12 months unemployment.

Loneliness should also be expected. No one can move country and expect to pick up a group of close friends immediately. Your traumas and loneliness will cause homesickness but only you can decide whether the light at the end of the tunnel is worth the current pain.

Best of luck but I do not think your story is atypical.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Wolfen, good luck to you and your family. I think you had a raw deal with the accommodation side of things and that was such a horrible thing to deal with that every other thing (that might not normally have got you down) seemed magnified. Yes, spiders are a fact of life in Australia, but you had an infestation - which is very different to finding the occasional huntsman on the living room wall or whatever.

But hey, the spiders have gone now. Already things seem to be on the improve for you. I'm glad to hear that Poggle came round to see you (that's what we're all on this forum for isn't it, to support each other). The fact that you've signed up for a course to get another qualification shows that you are not the sort to sit back and complain, you have recognised a problem and done something to fix it.

You're moving in the right direction, I'm looking forward to seeing another positive post from you in a few weeks saying that you are starting to feel more settled - but if you find you don't like Melbourne, try another State or town! adelaidegirl
Old Oct 7th 2003, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Vanou is an unknown quantity at this point

So sorry to hear you had such a bad start Wolfen. If that can reassure you in anyway, it does happen to others.

When we migrated to Canada, we had a really hard first weeks. We didn't know canadians basically only move out in July so when we arrived, in November, there was nothing on the rental market. All the apartments we visited were absolute dump and the few nice ones, landlords didn't want us because we couldn't provide local references. We were really distressed as everybody had told us how easy it was to find an appartment in Montreal.

We finally had to choose one in a not too good area cause there just wasn't any choice. The night we had to get our keys, our landlord had forgotten our appointment and we had to wait more than an hour outside the building by 5°C. When we moved in, we noticed the living room window was broken. He never came in to repair it, so we just blocked the cold with strong sticky tape. Then, the sofa we had delivered didn't make it into the apartment, had to send it back. That was before we realised it was infested with coackroaches!! But then, a few control bombs did the trick. At the end of the second week, though, the hot water went off, and with it the heating. Spent the whole day chasing the landlord, he was never in. We were getting really cold (mid-December) and distressed. Had to go dowtown to the mall to avoid freezing. Had a breakdown that evening, wondering why on earth we had come overthere!!!

But then, the heating got fixed and never troubled us again. My husband got a job 2 months later and we were on our way. It took me 3 more months to get one though, not in my field, but that was a beginning. A year later, we were both working in our field and very happy with our life and our decision to come over here.

As many already told you, the whole process can quickly be overwhelming. No matter how prepared you are, how much research you've done, the real thing is always a different story. Plus, you can be unlucky as well. But you definitely can't make up your mind about staying or leaving in such a short time. You have to give yourself and your family time to get back on your feet and reconsider your options. You'll probably find a few more obstacles on your way, but I'm pretty sure that now you'll be prepared for them, 'cause you know it's not all pink in EldoradOz.

When in doubt, think about all the reasons that made you travel so far with your loved ones. Think about all the time and energy you've put into the whole process. Life can be a b**** anywhere on the globe. But it's still mainly what we make of it. Sure, it can be difficult sometimes, but it always has it's rewards. Keep fighting, you'll make it!! Just keep an open mind about it all and don't start wasting your energy on regrets. They won't get you anywhere.

Good luck to you and keep us posted. I'm sure everything will turn fine in the end.
Vanessa
Old Oct 8th 2003, 1:15 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Default Re: And then it all went wrong!!!

Originally posted by Megalania
1. A bit late in the day to find out now. Why did you not assess the market before you moved your family?

2. Use a vacuum cleaner to clean your house of spiders, inside and out. Are you arachnophobic? Get over it, it's not one tiny part as bad as you suppose.

3. She's picking up your panic - straighten up, gut in, chin out.

Get out there and network/sell for all you are worth but leave the panic behind - noone will employ you if you look weak and about to turn tail and run. Make sure your wife has plenty to occupy her.
Megalania said it all perfectly!

And remember this too... you have to take a big step back if you want to jump forward. The things that didn't come easily to us are the things we treasure the most.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 1:15 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Megalania
1. A bit late in the day to find out now. Why did you not assess the market before you moved your family?

2. Use a vacuum cleaner to clean your house of spiders, inside and out. Are you arachnophobic? Get over it, it's not one tiny part as bad as you suppose.

3. She's picking up your panic - straighten up, gut in, chin out.

Get out there and network/sell for all you are worth but leave the panic behind - noone will employ you if you look weak and about to turn tail and run. Make sure your wife has plenty to occupy her.
Megalania said it all perfectly!

And remember this too... you have to take a big step back if you want to jump forward. The things that didn't come easily to us are the things we treasure the most.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 1:48 am
Just Joined

mamp is an unknown quantity at this point

How are things going wolfen?
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 2:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Wolfen
2. House we are renting may be infested with White Tails. Spent till 04:00 last night catching them to stop the kids from being bitten. Pest control coming out on Monday. Because of this my wife Michelle, does not want anything to do with spiders anymore which makes the option of moving to sydney impossible.
Hi Wolfen
I don't like spiders either, but i found an electric gadget that plugs in a wall socket, its made by ARLEC, cost about $40, and spiders don't go near it. I am sure it keeps a room free from spiders. I've tried it in two areas of the house now, and while it was there each room became 100% free of spiders.
I am going to buy more of them when I find them again.

Old Dec 2nd 2003, 2:37 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Hi there Wolfen,

I see by your avatar that you are off to NJ, NY....good luck to ya. You are not the only one to find that the shit really can hit the fan. We've had a nightmare 9 weeks in NZ, and we are heading back to the UK next year after an unplanned holiday. Sure the UK has it's problems, but I've never met a more short sighted country than NZ....it considers International Trading as dealings with OZ....ok if you say so. Add to that employers afraid of the whole immigration process and you have the beginnings of a major skilled worker shortage in the near future. There is even a closed attitude towards one man businesses regardless of their benefit to an area of NZ...basically, employ Kiwi's or go home.

Anyway, the reality is far harsher than the dream...it's good to see that you have found an alternative.

Rich.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

wolfens_wife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: And then it all went wrong!!! part 2

Well here it is guys...... the dream is nearly over.
Hubby left for New Jersey yesterday dinnertime. Has phoned me since in despair as girl at the travel agent forgot to mention one little refuel - at Dubai!!!! so he travelling the wrong way around the world.
Yep.... its all gone wrong totally. Due to lack of jobs or should I say no jobs in his trade not only in Melbourne but the whole of OZ, we are all off to New Jersey on a contract job to make money fast before deciding whether to just come home to the UK. The telecoms / IT sector moves so rapid that even if you take a job outside your field for a while then you could get left behind. Hubby was not prepared to throw away 20 years of skills and I cant say I blame him.
So Im stuck in Melbourne, with 3 kids on my own, furniture has still not turned up, car-less and no washing machine, until Saturday 13th. Cant wait for the flight with 3 kids - 8mths, 2 and 6 on my own!!! JOY!
All our stuff is going into storage until we know what we are doing.
I miss my family and friends more than ever, and nobody can tell you how much until you find out for yourself! It just seems that family members get really ill after you leave. Brother had a car crash, brother in law had a thyroid removed etc etc.
With hubby at home all day... everyday, we argued like cat and dog, him blaming me for my stupid dream and wrecking everyones lives, me blaming him for not being able to get a job. So its taken its toll... very much so.

Plus points
We have met some lovely aussies. (h garrett) Heather and Matts relations were great... warm and friendly.

Weather in Melbourne, unpredicable but hot.

Beer and meat tastes great apparently (im veggie)

You can eat a whole flake in public without dozens of men giving you kind gestures

Bulk billing at doctors

Arnotts mini bear biscuits for kids - they are great!

Ezecomm cards and go bananas cards are brillant and a cheap way of phoning the UK.

and the not so good points

flies, TV, spiders, price of food in dearer, overall choice in general, doctors charges for prescriptions are expensive.

We live and learn, and I guess we are also lucky to be able to have a second choice of the States should we want to settle there and also make up our money quickly. Otherwise we are off home where we belong. Hopefully house prices might have dropped when/ if we return.

Nice comments please, Steve Bannister try to leave this one as I guess your NOT a samaritan from your previous comments.

michelle
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Well we wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do , well done for having a go at least you did have a safe journey
Joanne and family
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 6:45 am
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Hi there Wolfen,

I see by your avatar that you are off to NJ, NY....good luck to ya. You are not the only one to find that the shit really can hit the fan. We've had a nightmare 9 weeks in NZ, and we are heading back to the UK next year after an unplanned holiday. Sure the UK has it's problems, but I've never met a more short sighted country than NZ....it considers International Trading as dealings with OZ....ok if you say so. Add to that employers afraid of the whole immigration process and you have the beginnings of a major skilled worker shortage in the near future. There is even a closed attitude towards one man businesses regardless of their benefit to an area of NZ...basically, employ Kiwi's or go home.

Anyway, the reality is far harsher than the dream...it's good to see that you have found an alternative.

Rich.
Hey GD had you thought of a biz visa in oz, takes weeks now not months so i believe, you could go over for 6 months to check it out without one & make a decision from there.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 7:45 am
Just Joined

mamp is an unknown quantity at this point

So sorry you have had such a terrible time. Well done for trying but it is very hard. We came to Aus in 1997 returned to blighty in1999 and came back to Aus in 2000. Spent loads of money doing these little trips. Have been back for three and half years and have enjoyed my time but as you say there are no good jobs here. My husband has just secured a job in the Qatar, so we are all on a jolly jaunt in the new year. Keeping the house here and renting it out. Best of luck It is so hard when the children are so young. Thanks for replying as i have wondered how you were all coping.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 7:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by mamp
We came to Aus in 1997 returned to blighty in1999 and came back to Aus in 2000. Spent loads of money doing these little trips.
Mamp,
What were your reasons for leaving in 1999, and what made you come back again in 2000 ?

Old Dec 2nd 2003, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Wolfen Family

Sorry to hear that you have had a rough time. It must be awful when you have dreamed about something for ages then it turns out to be a nightmare! At least you can look back though and say that you tried it.

I hope that you have better luck in the USA.

Hope the kids behave on the flight!
Have a nice Christmas.
Debs
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 9:02 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by DavidT
Hey GD had you thought of a biz visa in oz, takes weeks now not months so i believe, you could go over for 6 months to check it out without one & make a decision from there.
Hi there,

Thought about it for a while, but it makes more sense to go back to the UK and pick the business back up as a lot of my customers will come back to me. The UK may not be the best place in the world, but they are certainly more helpful to small businesses - I pay no tax on the first £4500 I earn, then it's only a few percent as far as I remember...here in Nz I'd have to pay 33% on everything from $1 upwards....with the lack of choice in everything retail, the crap weather in Wellington, the attitude of NZIS and employers to skilled people (non priority listed) since the immigration changes, I'll be glad to get back. So wish I could turn back the clock....thanks for the suggestion though..I appreciate the sentiment.

Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.