Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tasmania (continued!)

Tasmania (continued!)

Old Apr 29th 2009, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Effie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tasmania (continued!)

hey Sammy - the comments didnt bother me at all, and wont affect what I do or dont do and I do enjoy reading some of the threads which actually mad me think of some things I'd like to know here...

Did most of you choose to come to Tassie or have you lived elsewhere in Oz? If you have lived elsewhere how do you find Tassie in comparison... do you think that your 'choice' (or lack of) affected how you feel about Tassie? If you did have a choice would you stay?

I'll answer for myself - we moved from Sydney so that my partner could retain shared custody of his son. I find Tassie quite 'cliquey' but less so since I started working for a Tasmanian company. I've also found it more difficult to make friends here, but thats possibly due to my doing less 'activities'. If it wasnt for my partners son I would live elsewhere.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Effie1970
hey Sammy - the comments didnt bother me at all, and wont affect what I do or dont do and I do enjoy reading some of the threads which actually mad me think of some things I'd like to know here...

Did most of you choose to come to Tassie or have you lived elsewhere in Oz? If you have lived elsewhere how do you find Tassie in comparison... do you think that your 'choice' (or lack of) affected how you feel about Tassie? If you did have a choice would you stay?

I'll answer for myself - we moved from Sydney so that my partner could retain shared custody of his son. I find Tassie quite 'cliquey' but less so since I started working for a Tasmanian company. I've also found it more difficult to make friends here, but thats possibly due to my doing less 'activities'. If it wasnt for my partners son I would live elsewhere.
Hi

We came straight to Tas from the Uk after visiting Oz for a holiday the year before. We have now been here for 10 months and have had some ups downs along the way!

I like many things about Tas but get frustrated with the government policies, their realtionship with Forestry Tas for example and the lack of decent shops and facilities. On the other hand I love the lack of people, the amazing scenery and great food and wine.

In hindsight, I'm not sure about Tas for the children when they are a bit older, they have already said they would want to go elsewhere in Oz for uni or college education, and I do think for young people who have ambition that Tas is rather limiting (saying that they may well find they want to do a job that suits them well here)

Sam
Old Apr 29th 2009, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Effie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant future

Sammy - was just reading through the 'dental' thread... not sure if this applies to you but Tassie has free dental checks for under 6's... most people arent aware of it - if they need treatment its a flat $50 fee as far as I know... am about to book my little one in for her first visit
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Can I ask as well... I asked what I thought was a reasonable question on the main boards... asking if anyone had experience with what they do in terms of wills and guardianship when they are their childs only relatives in Australia and got a bit shot down... did I ask it in the wrong spot?

Cathy - ready for a bit of a ramble? lol! I was born and raised in Surrey, got married in 1992 to my now ex husband who was from Berkshire, we emigrated together in 1996 (to Melb)... we separated and divorced in 2003 and I moved to Sydney then and met my current partner (who was also born in Surrey but grew up in NZ)... we moved to Tassie in Dec 2004. I worked from home when we first moved till I got redundancy in Apr 06, worked in Hobart on weekdays for just over a year (including while pregnant)... temped for a while once my daughter was born and in January this year started in the job I do now... its taken a while but I now feel quite 'settled' here, even though we initially only moved so that my partner could keep contact with his child.

Oops, rambling on again!
Hi Effie, me and my partner are not married, so we will be looking into getting a will / guardianship sorted out when we eventually arrive in Tas. Although my OH has a sister & family in Perth, they are not the people we would want to look after our kids in the event of something happening to either of us, so it's something we will have to think about and get sorted out.
I'd be interested if you find anything out about the matter... As for the main part of the forum, i rarely venture out there! I am on a couple of other threads - but thankfully for the most part the people are very nice.....But there's some very sarcastic, ignorant and sometimes blatantly rude people
out there so i try to avoid them!

oh and thanks for the info - boy you've been busy moving about! Glad you're nice and settled in Tas though.

Cathy
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Sammy - was just reading through the 'dental' thread... not sure if this applies to you but Tassie has free dental checks for under 6's... most people arent aware of it - if they need treatment its a flat $50 fee as far as I know... am about to book my little one in for her first visit
Thanks Effie, my two are 10 and 12 so no good for us. We have private health insurnace which covers the check ups but not much else, hubby just had a bill of over $2000 because they only cover a small % of each individual part of the bill , he was really cross about it as he looks after his teeth well but needed a crown doing, our old dentist in the UK had warned him it would need doing eventually, wish he had got it done last year now!

Sam
Old May 4th 2009, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

that's one thing I miss about WA is the free school dental clinics. I really must book my two in for a checkup it's been two years now we've been in Tassie.
Old May 4th 2009, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

OMG I haven't been getting notifications of new posts for ages! I thought everyone had gone to sleep!!!

Welcome new members to the Tassie thread!!

Next time I come on here I will have a bit of time to fill in your little 5 things list Cathy!

Donna, so sorry to hear about your mum babe If you need a chat just give me a call hun. I'm down the Royal quite a bit these days as I have to have scans every 3 weeks until I'm 32 weeks then every 2 weeks from then on, plus I have to have a follow up appnt with the obstetrician the week after! So I'm a regular too, if you wanna meet up just give me a hollar.

Everyone else hope you're ok.
Old May 4th 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Hey Kerry I will probably be going up to town and 'norchy every wednesday, and I'll be in town on Friday if you'd like to do lunch - I'll text ya
Old May 4th 2009, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Hi,

Although we are fairly certain that we want to move to Adelaide/South Australia my husband announced today that he wants to look at Tasmania (mainly within half an hour of Hobart). Does anyone know of any areas we could look into, books we could buy on Tassie, websites to look at etc please.

Thanks in advance
Old May 4th 2009, 9:34 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seayork2002
Hi,

Although we are fairly certain that we want to move to Adelaide/South Australia my husband announced today that he wants to look at Tasmania (mainly within half an hour of Hobart). Does anyone know of any areas we could look into, books we could buy on Tassie, websites to look at etc please.

Thanks in advance
Hi for tourist info, area info, maps, books advertised on home page etc look here

http://www.discovertasmania.com/

for emigrating look here

http://www.development.tas.gov.au/migration

Old May 4th 2009, 10:03 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

just been looking at development Tas I see sponsered visas are back on but have you seen the list!! tradies have all but gone, still a shortage of landscape gardeners though

http://www.development.tas.gov.au/__...Sup_May_09.pdf
Old May 5th 2009, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kezzabird
OMG I haven't been getting notifications of new posts for ages! I thought everyone had gone to sleep!!!
Hi Kerry, i went through a phase of getting no notifications - then i realised it will only notify you if you've actually logged onto the site...
Old May 5th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Possums
just been looking at development Tas I see sponsered visas are back on but have you seen the list!! tradies have all but gone, still a shortage of landscape gardeners though

http://www.development.tas.gov.au/__...Sup_May_09.pdf
Crikey, that list has reduced considerably....i'd read they were removing loads of skilled jobs from all the skilled lists - but hadn't realised they meant quite so many. I think i'll have a look at the independant skilled visa list to see if Andy's trade is still on there - just out of interest...
Old May 5th 2009, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by travelbug
Crikey, that list has reduced considerably....i'd read they were removing loads of skilled jobs from all the skilled lists - but hadn't realised they meant quite so many. I think i'll have a look at the independant skilled visa list to see if Andy's trade is still on there - just out of interest...
Just had a look on the general skilled list and to me that seems as long as it was before - although i guess some stuff has been taken off. Andy's job still on there - not that i'd ever want to go down the visa application route again (if we're not out by March2012 we're never coming! ).

New estate agent coming round saturday to take new pics of the house etc.
As a few people on here know already - me and Andy have had a few wobbles about moving to the Island lately...generally down to worries regarding work/having less money than we'd originally hoped etc and due to all the talk about the worldwide recession! i think if we didn't go for it though we would always regret that decision. So our new plan is to still try and sell the house, and if we cant secure a job before leaving for Tas for Andy or feel comfortable he'll get work easily upon arrival - i think we will stay here in the UK renting for 6months perhaps until we feel things have picked up a little.... Hard to know what to do for the best, but i know a lot of you understand where i'm coming from there... but we've come too far down the road now to give up the idea completely, so we'll get to Tas eventually!
Old May 5th 2009, 8:48 am
(^v^)

Originally Posted by travelbug
Just had a look on the general skilled list and to me that seems as long as it was before - although i guess some stuff has been taken off. Andy's job still on there - not that i'd ever want to go down the visa application route again (if we're not out by March2012 we're never coming! ).

New estate agent coming round saturday to take new pics of the house etc.
As a few people on here know already - me and Andy have had a few wobbles about moving to the Island lately...generally down to worries regarding work/having less money than we'd originally hoped etc and due to all the talk about the worldwide recession! i think if we didn't go for it though we would always regret that decision. So our new plan is to still try and sell the house, and if we cant secure a job before leaving for Tas for Andy or feel comfortable he'll get work easily upon arrival - i think we will stay here in the UK renting for 6months perhaps until we feel things have picked up a little.... Hard to know what to do for the best, but i know a lot of you understand where i'm coming from there... but we've come too far down the road now to give up the idea completely, so we'll get to Tas eventually!
all I can say is we wouldnt be here today with the current list as Colin had to go down state sponsership cos he's an old git

look you've got to follow your dream Cathy, if its what you reallly want then you'll be right its not like things are going fab at this time in the UK at present is it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.