Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tasmania (continued!)

Tasmania (continued!)

Old Apr 25th 2009, 11:34 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasmania (continued!)

Originally Posted by travelbug

Hi Kay, thanks for the link. I've had a good read but cant see where you can contact anybody about the actual DVD.... I'll do a seperate search on the internet later incase it comes up elsewhere... Looks like a good series though - with quite a few episodes...

Hope you & everyone else on here has a good weekend whatever you've all got planned.

Cathy
No I couldnt see how you can buy it but you can watch last series episodes on that site
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

Effie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant future

hi again all...

Crazy week work wise last week... still not too sure which way to go with for the little ones passport but I think for ease I will probably get her an Oz one for now... is it right that she comes in the EU 'queue' with me on my british passport even though she has an oz one? Made me smile to think of her toddling through the 'non-eu' with her bottle!

Had a few tears on anzac day - my partners dad passed away in Jan this year and his son was marching with his medals on Saturday, sad that this was the first year he didnt get to see him. Guess we will go through a lot of not so nice firsts in this year.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Hey All, been a bit of a hermit lately with Mum going downhill fast.

Sammy sorry to hear the hospital sytem not to your liking, have you tried a private hospital (if there are any private maternity ones in Hobart)

Anyway thought I'd answer Cathy's questions - can only compare to Mainland Australia as I'm not British

1) Favourite 5 things you like about living in Tas
. It's Green!
. It's not stifling humid for 6 months of the year
. people are very down to earth
. it's 10 years behind the mainland
. not crowded

2) Top 5 things you dislike about Tas
. lack of shopping (no Ikea)
. everyone swears (only concerns me because the kids do it and my girls get upset with them)
. Roads/Drivers
. not enough mainlanders here (yet)
. it's 10 years behind the mainland (and I'm really pissed that my town in W.A. has gone ahead in leaps & bounds)

3) 5 things you have done since being in Tas that you never did in the UK (or wherever you originate from)
. have chooks
. travelled on a car ferry (to get here)
. been called "Cobber"
. am valued by my Employer
. sung Karaoke

4) 5 things you eat now you're living in Tas that you never ate before
. blueberries
. raspberries
. fruit wine (Cassis from Hartzview... yumm)
Old Apr 28th 2009, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Donna

Sorry to hear about your mum.

I am at the Hobart Private and I think that's the reason it's so very different, as you just do whatever the doctors want, each one has their own little preferences, not necessarily based on what is best for the women, just the way they like to do it. In the UK, we never used the doctors unless there was a deviation from the normal so it's a bit odd having to ask permission for everything little thing. Having said that, most of the staff are very friendly, they have got some good breast feeding initiatives and some new plans for the unit, so we'll see how it goes. It sure was nice to have a payslip again!!

Interesting to read your list, some things are the same on all of them, like the driving

Sam
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Effie1970
hi again all...

Crazy week work wise last week... still not too sure which way to go with for the little ones passport but I think for ease I will probably get her an Oz one for now... is it right that she comes in the EU 'queue' with me on my british passport even though she has an oz one? Made me smile to think of her toddling through the 'non-eu' with her bottle!

Had a few tears on anzac day - my partners dad passed away in Jan this year and his son was marching with his medals on Saturday, sad that this was the first year he didnt get to see him. Guess we will go through a lot of not so nice firsts in this year.
Hi Effie, hope you manage to sort out your passport stuff for your daughter. I doubt they'd question what queue your daughter was in if she's so little - as long as she has a valid passport with her... Sorry to hear you had an upsetting Anzac day.
Whereabouts in the UK did you originate from?
Cathy
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Possums
No I couldnt see how you can buy it but you can watch last series episodes on that site
Hi Kay, haven't been able to watch them yet - we keep having problems with our computer (virtual memory issues), need to try and delete some stuff - or do a defragmentation thingy (not up on all things where the technical stuff is concerned) but i have been informed that will help!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Teabag

Sammy sorry to hear the hospital sytem not to your liking, have you tried a private hospital (if there are any private maternity ones in Hobart)

Anyway thought I'd answer Cathy's questions - can only compare to Mainland Australia as I'm not British

. It's Green!
. not crowded

. everyone swears (only concerns me because the kids do it and my girls get upset with them)
. Roads/Drivers
. it's 10 years behind the mainland (and I'm really pissed that my town in W.A. has gone ahead in leaps & bounds)

3) 5 things you have done since being in Tas that you never did in the UK (or wherever you originate from)
. have chooks
. been called "Cobber"
. sung Karaoke

. blueberries
. raspberries
Hi Donna, sorry about your Mum. Thanks for doing the 5 things listings though - really interesting reading people's responses and as Sam said - it's funny how some of the things listed are exactly the same!
Do kids really swear a lot on the Island then? I wont like that! I might say the odd word myself - but never swore at all until i was an adult. I hate it over here when i'm out and you hear youngsters swearing... There might be words that Australian's use that i dont know - i wont know if i'm being sworn at!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:53 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kay, haven't been able to watch them yet - we keep having problems with our computer (virtual memory issues), need to try and delete some stuff - or do a defragmentation thingy (not up on all things where the technical stuff is concerned) but i have been informed that will help!
mine is the same Cathy need some extra RAM I think keeps freezing up

There might be words that Australian's use that i dont know - i wont know if i'm being sworn at!
na you'll know it just seems to be part of everyday language here!!

I too am sorry to hear your mums ill Donna
Old Apr 28th 2009, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future

. It's Green!
. not crowded

. Roads/Drivers

. have chooks
. been called "Cobber"
. sung Karaoke

. blueberries
. raspberries
Hi Donna, really sorry to hear that your mum is not so good. Thanks for taking the time to answer Cathy's quiz is nice to see everyones opinions who live on the island, funny how you all hate the driving, I remember it being the same on the mainland though?

My thoughts are with you.

Love C xx
Old Apr 28th 2009, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future

hi again all...

Hi, I think you are right that she can come in the queue with you as she is a minor, to be truthful as long as she has a valid passport I dont think they will mind at all. x
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Effie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant future

I spoke to the BHC in Hobart today and they were really helpful regarding passports... she is eligible for a uk passport but would have to have an oz one before the uk one so makes sense for her just to have one for the time being. I'll get her a uk one when she is more likely to use it... I was only kind of kidding about the queues - I do have memories of taking my step son to europe and being questioned why he didnt have a uk passport because he was entitled to it.

Donna - so sorry your mum is ill... we've just recently been through my FIL having very aggresive lung cancer and it was very hard work but not a day goes by that we dont wish he could have fought it for longer with quality of life.

Driving - I have a bit of a 'theory' about Oz drivers in general... each state has at least one 'bad habit' - and a lot of people who live there will confirm their particular habit... Victorians often run red lights... NSW often speeds... Qld moves around the road a lot... and because Tassie has a much older demographic and people that often go to different states and then return to retire they cop the lot!

Swearing - I've also found its a lot more 'acceptable' but then again, I seem to remember being surprised about it when I first emigrated. I never swore in front of my parents and had to work to 'tone it down' when I visit... had better start 'training'

Can I ask as well... I asked what I thought was a reasonable question on the main boards... asking if anyone had experience with what they do in terms of wills and guardianship when they are their childs only relatives in Australia and got a bit shot down... did I ask it in the wrong spot?

Cathy - ready for a bit of a ramble? lol! I was born and raised in Surrey, got married in 1992 to my now ex husband who was from Berkshire, we emigrated together in 1996 (to Melb)... we separated and divorced in 2003 and I moved to Sydney then and met my current partner (who was also born in Surrey but grew up in NZ)... we moved to Tassie in Dec 2004. I worked from home when we first moved till I got redundancy in Apr 06, worked in Hobart on weekdays for just over a year (including while pregnant)... temped for a while once my daughter was born and in January this year started in the job I do now... its taken a while but I now feel quite 'settled' here, even though we initially only moved so that my partner could keep contact with his child.

Oops, rambling on again!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Poor Effie, yes you will get shot down out there on the boards, stay in snug & cosy Tassie thread (just like the isle itself)

thanks for all your well wishes about Mum, she has advanced Parkinsons, it is a horrendous illness with the body freezing and losing control of your muscles, unfortunately you still have all your marbles which just makes one more aware of how bad their body is.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poor Effie, yes you will get shot down out there on the boards, stay in snug & cosy Tassie thread (just like the isle itself)

thanks for all your well wishes about Mum, she has advanced Parkinsons, it is a horrendous illness with the body freezing and losing control of your muscles, unfortunately you still have all your marbles which just makes one more aware of how bad their body is.
Oh bless her Donna, my uncles mother has that too, although her medication is still currently working to a degree is a horrid illness and one that I am surprised they havnt found a cure for yet. My thoughts are with you hun.

Effie dont leave this thread!!!!!!!! lol I totally agree with Donna the few times I have posted on the main threads you get shot down in a hail of bullets for asking a genuine question. If it aint to their views or their way they will slaughter you!!!! Best thing you can do is get shirty with them back, thats what I did and the moderator had to step in!!! lol
Old Apr 28th 2009, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bishop3912
Oh bless her Donna, my uncles mother has that too, although her medication is still currently working to a degree is a horrid illness and one that I am surprised they havnt found a cure for yet. My thoughts are with you hun.

Effie dont leave this thread!!!!!!!! lol I totally agree with Donna the few times I have posted on the main threads you get shot down in a hail of bullets for asking a genuine question. If it aint to their views or their way they will slaughter you!!!! Best thing you can do is get shirty with them back, thats what I did and the moderator had to step in!!! lol
Donna - my best wishes to your mum, its awful watching someone deteriorate, particularly when they 'know' whats happening. My FIL was similar in the short time from diagnosis to his passing. If I could wish for anything it would be that people with terminal illnesses would either not be in pain or not be aware of what is happening to them...

Thanks guys... have to admit I was surprised at how quickly I got shot down - its probably the biggest on my 'concern' list - given that my partner is an only child whose parents have both passed away and my entire family are overseas but they are family... if something were to happen to both of us what would happen to her? Question for another day I guess!

Did you all see the snow on Mt Bowen? Wood heater was on last night thats for sure!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Donna - my best wishes to your mum, its awful watching someone deteriorate, particularly when they 'know' whats happening. My FIL was similar in the short time from diagnosis to his passing. If I could wish for anything it would be that people with terminal illnesses would either not be in pain or not be aware of what is happening to them...

Thanks guys... have to admit I was surprised at how quickly I got shot down - its probably the biggest on my 'concern' list - given that my partner is an only child whose parents have both passed away and my entire family are overseas but they are family... if something were to happen to both of us what would happen to her? Question for another day I guess!

Did you all see the snow on Mt Bowen? Wood heater was on last night thats for sure!
Hi Effie

Don't let other people's comments bother you, they can be a sharp lot out there at times! I have asked for advice on mayn things over the last couple of years and just sift though the sarcastic answers and pick out what is useful. The thing to remember is this is a general forum with all sorts of people with all levels of intelligence () and sometimes posters are unwittingly misled by other people's suggestions, which are sometimes very inaccurate, so I guess if you are looking for hard facts, this is not always the right place to get it.

Hope you can get it sorted, It reminded me that we need to get a will made as we have not got one since I ripped our last one up!! (We had granted custody of the children to my in laws but after a big rift with them, it was no loger the appropriate decision)

Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.