Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tasmania (continued!)

Tasmania (continued!)

Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tasmania (continued!)

Hi everyone - thanks to those that answered my questions!
Interesting reading! I notice some people had the same "dislikes" about things on the Island...and it's nice to see the different things tried etc though...

Sam - sorry to hear about the problems with Telstra. Im glad to see that you managed to get it sorted! Just for future reference - it's illegal for a company to hold funds taken in error by them "as credit to future owed balances" without a client's approval - that applies not just in the UK but in Australia as well...people are within their rights to insist that a refund of any excess funds are returned...but in this case it's terrible they haven't even apologised for the error. I'm glad they refunded the money - and i really hope you dont have any other problems like this...
Glad i didnt add to my list of questions - "things that have gone wrong since you arrived!"

Effie - welcome to the thread! I'm still here in the UK but hope to be in Tas asap!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:29 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Effie1970
She is 18 months and we live between the City and airport, so not far from town at all. Are there many 'northerners' in the thread?

Still debating on the passport! I dont want to have the expense of 2 or worry about visas etc seeing as she is an Oz citizen. Does an Oz passport holder have to get a visa for the uk or a uk passport holder for coming back into Oz?
Hi Effie welcome we are up in Bridport, been out here 2 yrs no children so sorry cant help with your question.

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi everyone - thanks to those that answered my questions!
Interesting reading! !
good questions Cathy
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

JENNYMG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Possums
Hi Effie welcome we are up in Bridport, been out here 2 yrs no children so sorry cant help with your question.

good questions Cathy
hi
was wondering if anyone can give good advise on choosing tasmania over main land australia?
i would be immigrating with family (husband and 4 kids) and wondering if jobs, opportunities, schooling , healthcare are as favourable in tas ? if we move , i dont think we would want to be moving on so need to be sure tas would be suitable long term.
what you think?
jenny
Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JENNYMG
hi
was wondering if anyone can give good advise on choosing tasmania over main land australia?
i would be immigrating with family (husband and 4 kids) and wondering if jobs, opportunities, schooling , healthcare are as favourable in tas ? if we move , i dont think we would want to be moving on so need to be sure tas would be suitable long term.
what you think?
jenny
Hi Jenny, welcome to the thread. It might help people answer your questions if you give a little more info, such as the kind of job's you would need etc, what kind of activities you and your family enjoy etc.
Do you already have PR Visa's or are you in the initial stages of planning to emigrate?
I am hoping to move to Tas this year - been trying to get out there (house selling issues!), for a while - but the reason we chose the Island is because of the climate, the scenery, relaxed way of life and that there was opportunities workwise for my partner (sheetmetal worker/thermal insulation engineer) on the Island. We also feel that the Island would be a good choice for our young children (6 & 2) to enjoy an "outdoors" childhood. We did visit Tas during our visa validation trip - and i think a lot of the other people on here had done the same thing before moving there...although there are people that have just gone without visiting 1st. I think it depends on what kind of lifestyle you're looking for....
I'm sure one of the other posters will be along soon to add to this.
Cathy
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Effie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant future

hi Jenny,

I'm just new to this thread but have lived in Tassie, Sydney and Melbourne... I'd be happy to 'compare' with a bit more info. We moved to Tassie for personal reasons and some of the things you have mentioned have been quite frustrating here in comparison with the mainland ie smaller health system = less choice of doctors but if you get a good one its easier to have a better 'relationship' with them.... not like more of the big medical centres and stuff in Melb/Syd. It does also mean that the majority of services that are available are in the public system, sometimes it means less waiting time, other times more.

One big difference is the lack of large corporates in Tassie, but on the up side there is maybe more potential for the 'trade' occupations - not sure if the others agree?

Salaries are quite a bit lower than the mainland, house prices are lower but groceries, petrol and other expenses are generally higher with less choice.

Thats all I can think of for now!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:41 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

She is 18 months and we live between the City and airport, so not far from town at all. Are there many 'northerners' in the thread?

Still debating on the passport! I dont want to have the expense of 2 or worry about visas etc seeing as she is an Oz citizen. Does an Oz passport holder have to get a visa for the uk or a uk passport holder for coming back into Oz?
When your going to UK as an Australian citizen you do not need Visa for stays under 6 months unless your little one is getting a job??
We live in Launceston on the North East side in Karoola, Im originally from Preston.
Give us a shout some time if you want to meet up we have a 10 month old daughter.
I work for the Commonwealth bank in Launceston and my wage is the same as people on the mainland so not all companies pay people down here less money.
Gary Vikky and Hollie.

Last edited by GaryVFR8; Apr 21st 2009 at 11:45 am.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

JENNYMG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jenny, welcome to the thread. It might help people answer your questions if you give a little more info, such as the kind of job's you would need etc, what kind of activities you and your family enjoy etc.
Do you already have PR Visa's or are you in the initial stages of planning to emigrate?
I am hoping to move to Tas this year - been trying to get out there (house selling issues!), for a while - but the reason we chose the Island is because of the climate, the scenery, relaxed way of life and that there was opportunities workwise for my partner (sheetmetal worker/thermal insulation engineer) on the Island. We also feel that the Island would be a good choice for our young children (6 & 2) to enjoy an "outdoors" childhood. We did visit Tas during our visa validation trip - and i think a lot of the other people on here had done the same thing before moving there...although there are people that have just gone without visiting 1st. I think it depends on what kind of lifestyle you're looking for....
I'm sure one of the other posters will be along soon to add to this.
Cathy
hi thanks for your posts
I am a nurse so we would be going hopefully visa skilled visa (nothing secured yet) unfortunately i cannot get general skilled as i took a career break to look after kids so i would need sponsorship or go long term business 457 visa i guess.
husband works in terrirtory sales so would be happy to take any jobs in that area.
coming from northern ireland, we are fairly well used to little choice and high expenses but i guess thats part of the reason we want to escape down under ( not whole reason - under no illusions!!)
we want better climate for kids to enjoy getting out doors but also want a future for them and wonder if tas can offer it all or when they reach teenage yrs are crying why we brought them here? hope that makes sense.
opportunities are few and far between here in ni.

i guess what we are really looking for is a laid back life style, good job prospects and safe environment for our kids to grow and prosper. too much to ask?????

only one concern - spiders and snakes!! lol

jenny
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:53 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

hi
what you think?
jenny
hi Jenny,

I'm just new to this thread but have lived in Tassie, Sydney and Melbourne... I'd be happy to 'compare' with a bit more info. We moved to Tassie for personal reasons and some of the things you have mentioned have been quite frustrating here in comparison with the mainland ie smaller health system = less choice of doctors but if you get a good one its easier to have a better 'relationship' with them.... not like more of the big medical centres and stuff in Melb/Syd. It does also mean that the majority of services that are available are in the public system, sometimes it means less waiting time, other times more.

One big difference is the lack of large corporates in Tassie, but on the up side there is maybe more potential for the 'trade' occupations - not sure if the others agree?

Salaries are quite a bit lower than the mainland, house prices are lower but groceries, petrol and other expenses are generally higher with less choice.

Thats all I can think of for now!
Hi Jenny welcome to you also, have to agree with Effie in that there does seem to be work for tradies my OH is a carpenter certainly plenty of work at the company he works for. I really dont know anything about territory sales, also we have no kids so sorry cannot answer any of that.

my OH earns about the same as he did in the UK without the hassle of running a business, the so called recession certainly has not affected us here though I do think you need to have a fair amount of money to come with but I have always maintained that sorry I am not one that holds with the 'you'll be ok moving over with 2k brigade

things are more expensive here, yep houses are cheaper but you can see why when you see them then at the other end of the scale anything decent is way overpriced because they think they can charge as much as the mainland. hey look I'm not knocking it just telling it like it is, and I could go on forever but at the end of the day it all depends on your lifestyle, if you like fast paced life with good social outlets then Tasmania isnt the place. if you want a laid back country style life that includes all four seasons then you will be fine

re the snakes and spiders personally only seen a few huntsman, never seen a redback though apparently they are they, seen a few white tips seen a few snakes but they will get away from you asap

Last edited by Possums; Apr 21st 2009 at 2:01 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:15 pm
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Can only agree with possums, Need to change your social side of things, not a lot of pubs to go to with families, Besides that its really good for kids, Lots of nice places for them to do things and enjoy life. I would say Tassie is like going back 20 years in the UK. But I love the place. Can't see any reason not to want to be here!!!!
Gary Vikky Hollie and Preston The Ram!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

hi thanks for your posts
I am a nurse so we would be going hopefully visa skilled visa (nothing secured yet) unfortunately i cannot get general skilled as i took a career break to look after kids so i would need sponsorship or go long term business 457 visa i guess.
husband works in terrirtory sales so would be happy to take any jobs in that area.
coming from northern ireland, we are fairly well used to little choice and high expenses but i guess thats part of the reason we want to escape down under ( not whole reason - under no illusions!!)
we want better climate for kids to enjoy getting out doors but also want a future for them and wonder if tas can offer it all or when they reach teenage yrs are crying why we brought them here? hope that makes sense.
opportunities are few and far between here in ni.

i guess what we are really looking for is a laid back life style, good job prospects and safe environment for our kids to grow and prosper. too much to ask?????

only one concern - spiders and snakes!! lol

jenny

Hi and welcome Jenny

You should have no problem securing work here as they are desperate for nurses, I'm a midwife and have just started work at the Hobart Private Hospital.

The lifestyle is definitely more laid back but you still get the usual stresses, traffic in the morning into Hobart (we live about 20 mins south of Hobart) can be busy mainly due to the fact that the buses in this direction are far and few between and obviously there is no passenger train system here, but compared to a busy UK city, it's nothing really.

Weather, generally much better than the UK although not hot very often, four distinct seasons which I like and much less rain.

Opportunities for young adults, mmm not so sure about that one. My children are 10 and 12 and they have said they like Tas but they have no intention of staying here when they leave school, they have both already said they would prefer to go to uni or college on the mainland. I do think there is a lack of opportunity, both socially and career wise for young people here and I've met many people who grew up in Tas, left as soon as they were old enough and then came back when they had a family and wanted to settle down.

Good luck with your plans

Sam
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Effie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant future

I also agree with Gary and Possum - it is like going back to the UK of 20 years ago, both from a positive (lower crime rate) and negative... and oh my, when we first looked at houses it was a huge shock after Sydney and Melbourne. But, particularly if you are a 'handy' person there are still some bargains to be had thats for sure. One of the things we love is that we arent 'overlooked' by anyone and are still only 10 mins drive from town.

Best go, work to do!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 9:51 am
(^v^)

anyone watching Discover Tasmania? never seen that absail at the Dam Strathgordon avdertised, apparently been going 10yrs and highest absail in the world
Old Apr 24th 2009, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

anyone watching Discover Tasmania? never seen that absail at the Dam Strathgordon avdertised, apparently been going 10yrs and highest absail in the world
Hi Possums... what channel is that programme on over there? (wondering if i can see any episodes online?)....
Old Apr 24th 2009, 7:38 am
(^v^)

Hi Possums... what channel is that programme on over there? (wondering if i can see any episodes online?)....
Hi Cathy its on Southern Cross dont know if you can buy the DVD?

the first series is on the discover tasmania website hopefully they will put this new one on after.

http://campaigns.discovertasmania.co...vertas/tv.html

Last edited by Possums; Apr 24th 2009 at 7:41 am.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Cathy its on Southern Cross dont know if you can buy the DVD?

the first series is on the discover tasmania website hopefully they will put this new one on after.

http://campaigns.discovertasmania.co...vertas/tv.html

Hi Kay, thanks for the link. I've had a good read but cant see where you can contact anybody about the actual DVD.... I'll do a seperate search on the internet later incase it comes up elsewhere... Looks like a good series though - with quite a few episodes...

Hope you & everyone else on here has a good weekend whatever you've all got planned.

Cathy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.