So expensive?

Old Mar 27th 2010, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

laguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura about
Default So expensive?

Even if the £:$ was 1:2, Aus is still just too expensive compared to the UK for day to day expensives, especially food, clothing etc.

What is all this business about made in australia, made with australia this and that?? No wonder, it's not an open market like Europe. I say let the imports in from China etc and then make it fair and let the consumer choose. A monopoly in the fullest sense.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 3:10 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: So expensive?

Not much is made in Australia, most is from China, and other countries.

Cost varies, especially food. But you need to look around. A lot can be cheaper than the UK, but if you buy in the wrong places it may be more expensive.

Some stuff will always be more expensive, especially Soreen malt loaf

Old Mar 27th 2010, 3:36 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

If it keeps the riff raff out then it's all good
Old Mar 27th 2010, 4:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laguna33p
Even if the £:$ was 1:2, Aus is still just too expensive compared to the UK for day to day expensives, especially food, clothing etc.

What is all this business about made in australia, made with australia this and that?? No wonder, it's not an open market like Europe. I say let the imports in from China etc and then make it fair and let the consumer choose. A monopoly in the fullest sense.
Overall, COL is similar in both countries.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

More Expensive in Oz

Cars
Car maintenance
Food
Clothing
Sports Goods
Tradesman's rates
Housing
Schooling and uniforms
Fish and seafood
Books
Dining out (Perth)
Wine & Alcohol (Perth)
Perfume and make up
Estate agent fees
Medical expenses
Furniture & furnishings

Cheaper in Oz

Utility Bills
Shire (council) rates
Petrol
Seasonal vegetables and fruit (locally grown)
Gym memberships
Old Mar 27th 2010, 4:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
More Expensive in Oz

Cars
Car maintenance
Food
Clothing
Sports Goods
Tradesman's rates
Housing
Schooling and uniforms
Fish and seafood
Books
Dining out (Perth)
Wine & Alcohol (Perth)
Perfume and make up
Estate agent fees
Medical expenses
Furniture & furnishings

Cheaper in Oz

Utility Bills
Shire (council) rates
Petrol
Gym memberships
My girls school uniforms are cheaper here, five years on than they were in the UK. State High school. Could be something to do with them not having blazers, ties, tights etc here though. There's probably others I don't agree with on your list but it's all dependent on where you were, where you are, salary etc etc etc so I won't bother.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

I've spent $1,100 so far on my daughter's uniform. And its not even a private school:curse:

Winter uniform - the skirts cost $94 each. Black cotton leggings - $25

Last edited by IndieG; Mar 27th 2010 at 6:27 am.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Why do they have winter uniforms? My daughter goes to a school where the summer uniform consists of dresses, blazer and jumper.... and now they want us to spend hundreds of dollars on more........ I mean, it's not as if it even gets cold enough to warrant anything more than a jumper.....
Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:25 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by salopian
Why do they have winter uniforms? My daughter goes to a school where the summer uniform consists of dresses, blazer and jumper.... and now they want us to spend hundreds of dollars on more........ I mean, it's not as if it even gets cold enough to warrant anything more than a jumper.....
Good question ? My daughters private school requires them to wear a jumper with the summer uniform.

Working on that basis, if one persons experience is enough to judge an entire country, which is what seems to be the case, then on my experience Australia isn't that bad at all.

Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:28 am
ABCDiamond

More Expensive in Oz
Food

Cheaper in Oz
Food (Seasonal vegetables and fruit (locally grown))
A good idea would be to see how much in total is spent in each country on the same things.

My experience is that food is about the same, overall.

Meat is also cheaper ...
Price of Food

UK
Beef Rump Steak Per KG £12.98 ASDA

Aus
Beef Rump Steak Per KG
Budget $4.99
MSA $8.99
So far, meat and veg and fruit is cheaper.

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Mar 27th 2010 at 5:32 am.

Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:46 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: So expensive?

(a) Australia is an open market.
(b) Australia has free trade agreements with at least 7 different countries.
(c) Australia currently imports at least $160.9 billion of goods every year.
(d) The "business about being made in Australia" etc. should be self explanatory. Can you name six western industrialised nations that would be happy to see all their local industries die? No, neither can I.

Glad I could help.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

laguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura about

Vash the Stampede, so you agree the local industries are protected, isn't that a monopoly?

Anyway, I'm a vegetarian and in my opinion both Coles and Safeway's are absolutely useless in this department (as well as the poor range of foods anyway), come on Tesco and Asda we need you here
Old Mar 27th 2010, 7:23 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Definition of a cynic - someone who knows the price of everything - and the value of nothing.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 7:26 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

More Expensive in Oz

Cars
Car maintenance
Food
Clothing
Sports Goods
Tradesman's rates
Housing
Schooling and uniforms
Fish and seafood
Books
Dining out (Perth)
Wine & Alcohol (Perth)
Perfume and make up
Estate agent fees
Medical expenses
Furniture & furnishings

Cheaper in Oz

Utility Bills
Shire (council) rates
Petrol
Gym memberships
Not all so black and white. Take cars. A second hand car here you may pay 8k for and in the uk for similar you may pay 2k. Drive them both for 2 years and your Oz car will sell for 7k and your 2k uk car, 300 quid.

Wine? You must be kidding!! A exceptional bottle of wine here can be had for $20 and you can get cleanskins for $2 a bottle. Find me a bottle of drinkable wine in the UK for under a quid mate!
Old Mar 27th 2010, 7:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
(a) Australia is an open market.
(b) Australia has free trade agreements with at least 7 different countries.
(c) Australia currently imports at least $160.9 billion of goods every year.
Vash the Stampede, so you agree the local industries are protected, isn't that a monopoly?
Hmmm.. I don't read his reply the same as you...

in my opinion both Coles and Safeway's are absolutely useless in this department
I agree with that, I use the other shops for most things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.