Shark!!!

Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice
Default Re: Shark!!!

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Yeh you do just forget about it! I surf unpatrolled beaches - the only sightings we've had where on the patrolled beach - but before 8am and by some surfers. I never surf alone and wouldnt go out early/late but it wouldnt stop me going in the water. There are signs too look for too - apart from the fin! So if you see a group of sea birds bobbing down to the water, it probably means there's a school of fish around and therefore more likely to be sharks around.

A few weeks ago I was sat out back waiting for a wave and a whole pod of dolphins passed by about 20 yards away - then circled and came back. Now that was awesome...........but it does cross your mind that when dolphins behave that way, they are usually chasing fish, and where there's fish there are sharks. You just gotta keep your wits about you.
Nice to see that during this time of many 'reported' sightings/attacks, Channel 10 decides to sympathetically schedule Jaws The Movie for this Saturday night!

Loving your work guys!!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 11:27 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Er..........but more deadly because humans have more interaction with them. and most horse related deaths are because people fall off them not because they get bitten by one. Never heard of anyone being killed by a cow - and if they did I'm sure the cow didnt mean it!
I guess my point was that we wouldn't think twice about getting on a horse, or standing in a field with some cows but we all get worked up about sharks when there's an odd incident.

Oh and I take it back about the non'newsworthy nature of incidents involving these other animals!!!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...951042706.html

I guess it's the 'unknown' or 'unseen' nature of sharks which gets people nervous!

Coolerkingcooler - yeah when attacks DO occur, they're often at dawn/dusk - which is generally dinner time for sharks!

Graham
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:01 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
I guess my point was that we wouldn't think twice about getting on a horse, or standing in a field with some cows but we all get worked up about sharks when there's an odd incident.

Oh and I take it back about the non'newsworthy nature of incidents involving these other animals!!!

I guess it's the 'unknown' or 'unseen' nature of sharks which gets people nervous!

Coolerkingcooler - yeah when attacks DO occur, they're often at dawn/dusk - which is generally dinner time for sharks!

Graham
Be interesting to put those statistics into context. So of all the people who unexpectedly came face to face with a horse or a cow - what percentage got savagely attacked and lost limbs compared with the percentage who unexpectedly came face to face with a shark. Do you think they count these things ?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Originally Posted by northerner

Graham
So, technically speaking, most of the bull and cow fatalities are down to driving i.e. car accidents.

So, there you have it: if you are going swimming, increase your chances of survival - don't do it in the car!!

I'd like to see someone milking a 3-5m cow with steak knives for teeth....

And as for you kayakers...........

PS for those of you in the know, that was South Africa and this is the only couple of shots where the shark was following the kayak - most of the time, the kayak was following the shark!!

As a diver, we would always want to see the bull sharks we knew were around Mexico, but never encountered them - actually coming out of the water disappointed we never saw the sharks!! So each to their own I guess.....

Sharks are beautiful animals, never get cancer and have survived for hundreds of thousands of years: respect!

Last edited by Twinset; Feb 21st 2009 at 7:42 am.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:53 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies, I am not unduly worried but I do believe in not 'asking for it'. So I'll not be in the water when it's normally feeding time. Although I may encourage the MIL when she visits "look at the dolphin"

Cooler
Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Thanks for the replies, I am not unduly worried but I do believe in not 'asking for it'. So I'll not be in the water when it's normally feeding time. Although I may encourage the MIL when she visits "look at the dolphin"

Cooler
Mine too, but she is too smart.....used to live in SA so she knows a "fin" or two......
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:13 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s1mon321
Nice to see that during this time of many 'reported' sightings/attacks, Channel 10 decides to sympathetically schedule Jaws The Movie for this Saturday night!

Loving your work guys!!
LOL this photo was taken off Bridport Tasmania last year

N.B no one died in Bridport, I haven't made any comment to the fact that the Shark was about to attack, or that it is there everyday of the year, or that people are more likely to die from a budgie bite than the shark diving into the boat etc etc etc. It is just a photo taken by a local pilot, which I am posting in response to the movie Jaws being shown.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Off Bridport.pdf (177.4 KB, 116 views)
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:32 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinset
Mine too, but she is too smart.....used to live in SA so she knows a "fin" or two......