Shark!!!

Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:55 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shark!!!

Originally Posted by homewardbound
OFFS if i have to read another of these darn threads i will pull my teeth out one by one.

No I have not reconsidered my swimming at the beach other than the fact it was 37 degrees last week and 17 degrees this week... so the cold has more to do with my swimming patterns than the darn sharks.

And lastly in 2007 100,000,000 sharks were killed by humans and only 1 human was killed by 1 shark...

So lets be freaking serious here...when you get in your car you are more at risk of dying or being injured than by swimming in the god damned ocean.

In fact 1000 of you are more likely to die from a freaking bee sting this year than from a shark attack, maybe 800 of you will die falling from a horse and thousands of you will die falling out of bus as it closes its doors on you becuase you dont have the right change.

Forgive me for being pissed off but FFS get ur figures and be freakin sensible about it!
Spot on homewardbound. People freaking out over a couple of attacks. Pah!

I'll be in the water again this weekend, and if I'm lucky enough to be in the presence of a shark on one of my dives I will have the biggest smile on my face imaginable!

Graham
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:57 am

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
No a plastic bag would be much better,wrapped TIGHT around the head,now breathe real fast
I'd say that's a borderline reportable post. Joking or not that's not on.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:53 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
Spot on homewardbound. People freaking out over a couple of attacks. Pah!

I'll be in the water again this weekend, and if I'm lucky enough to be in the presence of a shark on one of my dives I will have the biggest smile on my face imaginable!

Graham
but its ok for your mate to be offensive
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

What was I offensive about?

No I didnt read the 20th thread on sharks from start to finish cos i'd damned well sick of em!

Like I said 100,000,000 sharks killed each year by humans... 1 human killed by a shark... put it in perspective.

I will not apoligise for what I said as I don't believe I was offensive NOR aggressive... jeez louise re read what I wrote - I make perfect freakin sense!

Last edited by homewardbound; Feb 18th 2009 at 4:45 am.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Possums I dont remember replying to you... I remember replying to original poster who asked if we had changed our swimming habits... i got bored after 1st post so didnt read the rest of the thread as they have been repeated soooo many times lately as everyone has started freakin about sharks of which no one has died i might admit!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:42 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

And YES i too find smothering a shark with a plastic bag offensive too!
I think the freakin reference about the freakin plastic freakin bag was actually freakin intended for you, not that I freakin agree with it though.....I just wanted to make that freakin clear.....
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Pah it's ok... I have a sense of humour and facts behind me... water off a ducks back...

Plus it's fun winding everyone up... I blame steveenglish - he is a bad influence and bloody hilarious - coles or tesco's indeedy!

Please please please stay out of the ocean, sharks are really scary and you get in the way of my swimming!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

Pah it's ok... I have a sense of humour and facts behind me... water off a ducks back...

Plus it's fun winding everyone up... I blame steveenglish - he is a bad influence and bloody hilarious - coles or tesco's indeedy!

Please please please stay out of the ocean, sharks are really scary and you get in the way of my swimming!
I posted the original question, and to summarise it was asking whether or not people felt the media were making a big deal of the recent sightings/attacks, and whether or not people were affected by what they read.

Quite a few responses so obviously something that people have opinions about.

The next time you read a thread that you feel is stupid or has been covered 'oh so many times', then simply don't reply. Your response simply perpetuates something which you dislike.

For the record, I feel the way in which you have responded to be both aggressive and offensive; and if I had as little command of the English language (as your responses show you do) then I would be very wary of how often I displayed this to a great number of people.

Thank you and happy swimming!

Simon
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:55 am

Simon,

I don't think homewardbound's remarks were aimed at you for the very valid question, but at the general furore surrounding the recent attacks, the medias coverage of it and some of the other posts on this thread.

In answer to your original question, and in my opinion, yes the media is making a meal of it - as they always do. A couple of attacks and all of a sudden we're all being hunted down by these evil sharks. They have the usual 'should we cull sharks' polls - a sighting turns into a 'pack of sharks circle swimmers' type headline.

And no the recent events will not change my swimming/diving habits in the slightest!

Cheers,

Graham
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:42 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

OFFS if i have to read another of these darn threads i will pull my teeth out one by one.

No I have not reconsidered my swimming at the beach other than the fact it was 37 degrees last week and 17 degrees this week... so the cold has more to do with my swimming patterns than the darn sharks.

And lastly in 2007 100,000,000 sharks were killed by humans and only 1 human was killed by 1 shark...

So lets be freaking serious here...when you get in your car you are more at risk of dying or being injured than by swimming in the god damned ocean.

In fact 1000 of you are more likely to die from a freaking bee sting this year than from a shark attack, maybe 800 of you will die falling from a horse and thousands of you will die falling out of bus as it closes its doors on you becuase you dont have the right change.

Forgive me for being pissed off but FFS get ur figures and be freakin sensible about it!
oh tosh... its stupid people and their fears of spiders and snakes and OH sharks...

ffs dont live within 300km radius of bush cos youre more likely to be killed by bushfires - something you SHOULD freakin worry about.

Cos if the bushfires dont get ya the funnel webs and tiger snakes will! ahhahahaha oops what was that?// OH yes only 13 deaths from funnel webs in the last 100 years... shit watch out!
Possums I dont remember replying to you... I remember replying to original poster who asked if we had changed our swimming habits... i got bored after 1st post so didnt read the rest of the thread as they have been repeated soooo many times lately as everyone has started freakin about sharks of which no one has died i might admit!
there is a month between the OP and my post, rather than start another thread about sharks I added the latest attacks to this one, the reason I did was through SHOCK that a shark had attacked both in the harbour and at Bondi something that is very rare. you then chose to make the above responses. No one said anyone had died.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 10:31 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Actually someone did die - the guy in Perth around December time? Cant remember if it was confirmed shark attack or not but i think they found his wetsuit or something.

Old Feb 20th 2009, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Actually someone did die - the guy in Perth around December time? Cant remember if it was confirmed shark attack or not but i think they found his wetsuit or something.

It happens. And more since december no doubt.

But how many people were killed by horses (the most deadly animal when it comes to human deaths), or cows or dogs in this time? Trouble is they don't make the news.

Graham
Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:06 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

It happens. And more since december no doubt.

But how many people were killed by horses (the most deadly animal when it comes to human deaths), or cows or dogs in this time? Trouble is they don't make the news.

Graham
Er..........but more deadly because humans have more interaction with them. and most horse related deaths are because people fall off them not because they get bitten by one. Never heard of anyone being killed by a cow - and if they did I'm sure the cow didnt mean it!

Lets face it - the predatory nature of the shark, the rareity of humans coming into contact with a big one by accident, and the success of "Jaws" just makes shark attacks more newsworthy. And they are pretty scary....... you wouldn't see me running out of the field cos there was a horse in it - but stay in the water with a shark around..........................
Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:16 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Do most of the attacks come in twilight and on/when the beaches are not patrolled?

Friends have told me that you just forget about it and swim whenever, I am not duly concerned but reckon I'd only swim on patrolled beaches.

Cooler
Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:30 pm
beach bum

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Do most of the attacks come in twilight and on/when the beaches are not patrolled?

Friends have told me that you just forget about it and swim whenever, I am not duly concerned but reckon I'd only swim on patrolled beaches.

Cooler
Yeh you do just forget about it! I surf unpatrolled beaches - the only sightings we've had where on the patrolled beach - but before 8am and by some surfers. I never surf alone and wouldnt go out early/late but it wouldnt stop me going in the water. There are signs too look for too - apart from the fin! So if you see a group of sea birds bobbing down to the water, it probably means there's a school of fish around and therefore more likely to be sharks around.

A few weeks ago I was sat out back waiting for a wave and a whole pod of dolphins passed by about 20 yards away - then circled and came back. Now that was awesome...........but it does cross your mind that when dolphins behave that way, they are usually chasing fish, and where there's fish there are sharks. You just gotta keep your wits about you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.