Shark!!!

Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice
Smile Shark!!!

There seem to be a lot of shark attack reports around at the moment.

Do you think that the frequency of sightings or attacks seems to be increasing, or are the media just making more of them than they normally would do?

Has anyone re-considered any beach activities because of the reports?

Would love to know what you think?....

Simon
Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:57 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shark!!!

Originally Posted by s1mon321

Do you think that the frequency of sightings or attacks seems to be increasing, or are the media just making more of them than they normally would do?

Simon
We've had quite a few shark sightings around Perth over the last 2 weeks or so. I've heard that it's down to the fact that they are getting better at spotting them, who knows. I still go to the beach and have a swim. I just keep a very watchful eye around me, and always make sure there is some "food" further out than me.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:20 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Yes... Australia has sharks. Act accordingly.

Report ends.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by s1mon321

Simon
Yeah on the east coast 3 attacks with in 2 days.

With good reason plentiful supply of food in the water at them moment, a lot of fish about.

Thats why I don't go in the water.

For more details see

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...73#post7144473
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Now, my theory is that it is dolphins! Evil dolphins. One of the reports said there were dolphins swimming around, and then the 'shark', which noone saw, bit the bloke. Obviously a dolphin! They try and convince you they are all cute, then they strike!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Now, my theory is that it is dolphins! Evil dolphins. One of the reports said there were dolphins swimming around, and then the 'shark', which noone saw, bit the bloke. Obviously a dolphin! They try and convince you they are all cute, then they strike!
Yeah Dolphins are smart very animals they will attack a shark by ramming into it and bursting the sharks swimbladder, an so killing it. or so I have read somewhere.

Dolphins would not attack humans in the way a shark would, they would bash you with their tail and show signs of agression before they would attack (very rare) where a shark will stalk and strike with speed and surprise.

See my pics below of Dolphins near Hawks @ Nest Port Stephens.
Attached Thumbnails Shark!!!-shit-i-hope-dolphin.jpg   Shark!!!-lucky.jpg   Shark!!!-hawks-nest.jpg  
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:30 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
Yeah Dolphins are smart very animals they will attack a shark by ramming into it and bursting the sharks swimbladder, an so killing it. or so I have read somewhere.

Dolphins would not attack humans in the way a shark would, they would bash you with their tail and show signs of agression before they would attack (very rare) where a shark will stalk and strike with speed and surprise.

See my pics below of Dolphins near Hawks @ Nest Port Stephens.
Sharks don't have swim bladders.

However...

What surprises me is that sharks as a whole haven't figured out how much easy meat there is to eat off the coast of Australia. I suppose anything that's been around for 200 million years takes a bit of time to adapt to a new food source, but it will happen eventually.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:35 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage

However...

What surprises me is that sharks as a whole haven't figured out how much easy meat there is to eat off the coast of Australia. I suppose anything that's been around for 200 million years takes a bit of time to adapt to a new food source, but it will happen eventually.
Maybe the sharks are smarter than we think....

Are watching they don't take too much high cholestrol, high alcohol content, homosapiens. Okay for a snack or taken in moderation
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Burbage

However...

Sorry swimbladder/Large oil filled liver, can't remember what shark has.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

PUtting it all into perspective... in 2007 1 HUMAN was killed by a shark... whilst 100,000,000 SHARKS were killed by humans in the same year.

Add to that the amount of HUMANS killed by other humans, by drink drivers etc... I"m not too worried about the sharks.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

No, it's them rouge dolphins you want to worry about.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
No, it's them rouge dolphins you want to worry about.
You and your dolphin consipiracy theories lOL
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:06 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

There's been quite a few sightings round here over last week or so and one of the attacks was just down the coast from me yesterday. Still going surfing later though! Not sure if I'm naive, fearless, stupid or just plain bonkers!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Ooo ponyrama we are in the same area as you - 12 hammerheads south south beach and 6 bull sharks spotted at windang yesterday.

I know there is regularly a school of hammerheads between fairy meadow and north beach just outside the nets - a spearfishing friend told me lol
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:18 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ponyrama
There's been quite a few sightings round here over last week or so and one of the attacks was just down the coast from me yesterday. Still going surfing later though! Not sure if I'm naive, fearless, stupid or just plain bonkers!
The real question is whether you are nutritious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.