Reload this Page >

Report from the Mrs, fresh from godzone

Report from the Mrs, fresh from godzone

Old Jan 7th 2005, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

jinxnkay is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Report from the Mrs, fresh from godzone

Originally Posted by wombat42
Eatstatic, Eatshit, Stay in your overcrowded, overconjested, overpolluted, overexpensive, freezing, grey, dreary, miserable, classridden, crimeridden toilet that is called the Uk and leave the best country on earth for those that appreciate it.
wombat which part of the toilet did your parents come from?
jinx

Last edited by jinxnkay; Jan 7th 2005 at 12:04 am.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 12:08 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by jinxnkay
wombat which part of the toilet did your parents come from?
jinx
No part, my desendants are from Ireland and Germany.

Last edited by wombat42; Jan 7th 2005 at 12:12 am.

Old Jan 7th 2005, 12:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Anyone who has spent any amount of time in OZ (my wife who told me her recent findings lived there 20 odd years previous BTW) will tell you that there is truth is what I have said. Whether or not these facts bother you, or affect your quality of life is up individual tastes.
After 14 years living here I do agree with SOME of the comments in your first post. And I must admit that your post was "different" to your normal postings.

However I do not agree that ALL of your comments should be taken as FACT
She thought the people were friendlier than in SE England, in shops etc
I agree with this in general in most areas, but not in all areas.

The seafood is cheap, other food no cheaper, sometimes priceier
I agree completely, it varies a lot on where you shop, eg: Rump steak between $6 and $18 per kilo in different shops in my area alone.

Sydney summer weather is how we remembered it. humid, unreliable and pretty awful compared to our holidays in the Med
I disagree with the word awful, mind you I do prefer the weather in the Bayside area of Brisbane

The pubs are indeed dead, souless and only suitable for cheap food and pokie addiction.
Agreed the Pubs are nothing like UK pubs. In the UK we used the pubs to go and meet friends, and have social times together, here we do the same around a BBQ in the open air. It's just a change of location.

The TV is truely awful (pay TV included)
It depends on what you like to watch. I select the programs that I want to watch, the same as I did in the UK, but here we get more time (TV free) to do other things.

You get constant crap for sounding like a pom (she is a born and bred Aussie, seems the locals can hear a pom twang)
As mentioned before, that has never been a problem where I have been. (What area did you find that in?)

Strong national pride (usually amougst Aussies who have never left the country)
I think it's a good thing to be proud of your country.

Aus has a lot of fat stupid loud badly dressed people, similar to UK chavs
I keep looking for them, but all I notice is the slim nicely dressed and good looking girls ( I do also know a few "larger sized" people, but would not consider them stupid). ( I also know some badly dressed people, but how a person dresses isn't really that important to me)

The sunshine coast looks pretty, but is dead and extremely boring.
Lots of people seem to like it. Maybe some people have different opinions on what's boring. Yours may be a minority opinion on this.

In summary, we are all different, and should respect the choices that each other make without trying to state that one single persons opinion is the FACT that affects everyone.

Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:36 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

No part, my desendants are from Ireland and Germany.
Now that one really threw me for 6, Wombat....
How can your children be from Ireland & Germany?
Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:48 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by Scossie
Now that one really threw me for 6, Wombat....
How can your children be from Ireland & Germany?
Sorry l meant ancestors. Someone else made the same mistake and asked me where my decendants came from.

Last edited by wombat42; Jan 7th 2005 at 2:50 am.

Old Jan 7th 2005, 11:18 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Superior
Why would they be? They are NOT english pubs, they are AUSTRALIAN!
And much of Australias culture derives from the US.
Think you're getting the wrong end of the stick, as far as ABCD's post is concerned. He's not slagging off Oz pubs. He's just saying that they are different to the pubs in the UK.

Having said that, in my experience, the pubs I've been to around Perth are great places to strike up a conversation with a stranger, and they have a good social atmosphere, not unlike the pubs I used to go to when I lived in Scotland.

I've hardly noticed a difference in the 2 years I've been here.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry l meant ancestors. Someone else made the same mistake and asked me where my decendants came from.
So, during the second world ward, half of your descendents spent their time invading other countries and the other half were too gutless to do anything about it. Sorry, of course, the Irish weren't gutless they were just being 'neutral.'

I'm not surprised you decide to spend most of your existence in a (rather large) burrow.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Superior
Why would they be? They are NOT english pubs, they are AUSTRALIAN!
And much of Australias culture derives from the US.
What US hick town in particular?
Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:42 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
So, during the second world ward, half of your descendents spent their time invading other countries and the other half were too gutless to do anything about it. Sorry, of course, the Irish weren't gutless they were just being 'neutral.'

I'm not surprised you decide to spend most of your existence in a (rather large) burrow.
"second world ward", Mr Stanton?!?

Nice to see that, apart from boring us all to sleep, you have a pedantic streak.
Light harted comment to Wombat from me, but you go the whole hog....

A word of advice. If you're going to nitpick other members posts, do it with some style, & don't leave yourself wide open for ridicule...

It's not big, & it's not clever....
Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:13 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by eatstatic
My wife has just come back home after being in OZ with her familly for Christmas. Very nice to have her back, I was worried that her Mother (who doubles as spokeswoman for the OZ tourist board!) would have brainwashed the poor love into wanting to move back to Godzone.

Anyway I asked her what she thought of her homeland after 2 years abscence.

She thought the people were friendlier than in SE England, in shops etc (I personally find this to be superfiscial nonsense I could do without)

The seafood is cheap, other food no cheaper, sometimes priceier

Sydney summer weather is how we remembered it. humid, unreliable and pretty awful compared to our holidays in the Med

The pubs are indeed dead, souless and only suitable for cheap food and pokie addiction.

The TV is truely awful (pay TV included)

You get constant crap for sounding like a pom (she is a born and bred Aussie, seems the locals can hear a pom twang)

Strong national pride (usually amougst Aussies who have never left the country)

Aus has a lot of fat stupid loud badly dressed people, similar to UK chavs.

The sunshine coast looks pretty, but is dead and extremely boring.

All in all she says what I have always felt, that OZ is a struggle, even more so than the UK is (for us anyway). We are better off in Blighty at the moment, yet somewhere like the sunshine coast may be suitable for retirement in later years.

All in all Oz may look pretty on the postcard she sent me, however life is not a 2 week break in the sun and life is for living.

Life is indeed a valuable commodity and she reconfirmed my belief that OZ has pretty much FA of that.

Happy new year all
You don't see any of that in the UK.

Summer weather, that is

Cheers
Alistair
Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scossie
"second world ward", Mr Stanton?!?

Nice to see that, apart from boring us all to sleep, you have a pedantic streak.
Light harted comment to Wombat from me, but you go the whole hog....

A word of advice. If you're going to nitpick other members posts, do it with some style, & don't leave yourself wide open for ridicule...

It's not big, & it's not clever....
Thanks for pointing out my typo. I'll leave you to find your own 5 mistakes. A word of advice; desist.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 3:09 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Thanks for pointing out my typo. I'll leave you to find your own 5 mistakes. A word of advice; desist.
And about time too!

Has it taken you all that time to find 5 mistakes?
OK, humour me.

Why should I desist? Should I be afraid of a witty or scathing retort?
I think not.

Knock yourself out though, if you think you're up to it.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 3:39 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a problem with the original post or with Eatstatic generally. There are some genuine trolls on here who are unpleasant ("catty"?) and there are some others who have given Aus a go and didn't like it but insist on ramming that down our throats but I don't put Eatstatic in those pigeon holes. At the very least it is good to receive a challenge to your own views occassionally so you can think whether they still apply. But I do see genuine points in what he is saying too, even if some of the stereotypes etc don't help the argument. If you haven't been to Australia before be warned that while generally friendly they tend to speak their mind in a very frank manner which it takes some getting used to. I think Eatstatic must have retained some of those traits.

In many ways Australia is "behind" the UK but that is part of the attraction. There is more going on in the UK if you want it because it is a larger nation / closer to other major nations and I have taken that into account in my long-thought decision to emigrate. The UK and Australia are different. Some will prefer one to the other, some will find good and bad in both. So Eatstatic tried it, didn't like and is prepared to share his opinions with the rest of us. That is fine by me.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 4:13 pm
Merlot

This beats the arse of the usual ramblings at family weddings . . boy do you lot like a scrap, I can't remember what the original thread was about?

M

Old Jan 7th 2005, 6:05 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Merlot!

You made it to page seven at least ... or did you just start at page six?

GG

Originally Posted by Merlot
This beats the arse of the usual ramblings at family weddings . . boy do you lot like a scrap, I can't remember what the original thread was about?

M

Last edited by Geordie George; Jan 7th 2005 at 6:33 pm. Reason: This post was missing a 'u'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.