Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Report from the Mrs, fresh from godzone

Report from the Mrs, fresh from godzone

Old Jan 8th 2005, 10:39 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Report from the Mrs, fresh from godzone

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I wonder why then so many asians complain of racism here then if they are so well loved
:
I think we must live in very different areas.
I don't really hear much about racism towards Asians, other than the sensationalised stories in the Newspapers. And if it was that bad I am sure I would know about it, having an Asian wife myself, with many many Asian friends in the country. My wifes relatives in the UK complain more about it than my wife does here.

It obviously does exist, but it does not appear to be as bad as the press must lead people to believe.

Old Jan 8th 2005, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

All these aussies declaring how they would rather live next door to asians than poms, I wonder why then so many asians complain of racism here then if they are so well loved
Complain? Who to? You? I have three nephews with a Thai mother. I see them a fair bit. I have never heard them mention the issue.

"As for americans, very few emigrate here same with canadians they prefer where they are. With comments like some of the above I can see why."

Americans are different. It took them 20+ years to come to terms with Dame Edna. Many of us prefer them where they are too. What can you say about folk who claim a constitutional right to bear arms, despite the obvious mayhem that causes?

Or who think you have to declare war on everything to "fix" it? A 28 year career officer in the US armed services has said his service is Aceh is the most worthwhile thing he has done in his career. Australian armed forces' speciality is peace keeping.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom
I think One Nation has changed and self destructed, not Pauline Hanson and her band of supporters.
Her shrunken band of supporters. I said at the time "Pauling Hanson is the right wing looney Australia had to have. Having turned over her argument like an old bit of corrugated iron in the yard and let the snakes and spiders run out, we have all moved on.

"Bruce Ruxton is the one they roll out to laugh at when he starts his homophobic diatribes at Mardi Gras time."

There is more to Bruce Ruxton than that. I think he has been on "This is Your Life".
Old Jan 8th 2005, 11:04 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by bondipom
Your degree from Imperial is paying dividends.
Unfortunently its one of those fake degrees you download off the internet like Mike Stanton's.

Old Jan 8th 2005, 11:29 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Banksia
Her shrunken band of supporters. I said at the time "Pauling Hanson is the right wing looney Australia had to have. Having turned over her argument like an old bit of corrugated iron in the yard and let the snakes and spiders run out, we have all moved on.

"Bruce Ruxton is the one they roll out to laugh at when he starts his homophobic diatribes at Mardi Gras time."

There is more to Bruce Ruxton than that. I think he has been on "This is Your Life".
People like Hanson, Kilroy Silk and Haider (Austria) arise occasionally to test the democratic process. Although these people can get in "by touching a nerve" they are often removed at the next election. Their removal says more than their election.

Let's hope that the East Midlands has the sense to remove Kilroy Silk in the next euro-election (assuming people bother to turn out).

Alistair
Old Jan 8th 2005, 11:58 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

After 25 yrs of moving, people in and out of Australia, i would have to say that the "English" are the least tolerant of any other races, even in the British isles. ....................... mm
Old Jan 9th 2005, 2:11 am
Badge

Amazed!!!!!!! This thread is still going on so I read what the guy wrote, why are people so threatened by it?

People are friendly in shops but not necessarily much deeper than that, look at how many poms hang with other poms?

Seafood is cheap, other food can be pricier, would agree.

Sydney has got more hot and humid, all of oz seems to be getting hotter so whats the problem there?

Tv is awful, anyone will tell you that.

Pom twang, know all about that poms call me aussie, aussies call me pom, you dont fit in either after a while and yes aussies do give poms a lot of crap, they are not 2 races that mix closely, see comment 2 how many poms hang with poms.

National pride yes even in the Tsunami we have to have created a table (jiggled a bit to include loans) in the papers to prove we donated the best perhaps pride with a little bit less fanfare and bragging would be more tasteful at times.

Aus does have so many fat people and so do many countries but with our national pride we have to admit it we are now the world leaders beating even the americans.

Pokie addiction now that is truly an enormous australian problem plenty do live to put there live savings in a one arm bandit, to me those people must be bored!

Sunshine coast is boring, I should be able to answer this living there, I do at times find it boring, however its got the biggest population growth for the whole of australia so it would seem many aussies do not find it boring they think its paradise and its mainly young familes arriving now not just retirees but like any beach area they arrive too. It was named the most desirable place in australia to live.

Then he says its not for HIM didnt say it wasnt for anyone else did he? and he might retire there, so what we will probably all retire somewhere quiet.

Why crack up? its not that bad what he wrote, the reactions bad tho, why be so offended? Sure this poster has a pattern to his posts, but dont some of the other extreme too, eg OZ is wonderful people then you find out they are making a buck from Poms, thats worse actually.

Get some balance, I would love to see new arrivals post again, this forum needs an injection of really gritty posts, what its really like to arrive and go through it all, not the shopping and girls nights but the struggles and hardships and the emotions but will it happen? No. Jugsy said it in another thread anyone who posts a negative is quickly elbowed out. You constanly get PMs on here starting with I didnt want to ask this in case anyone thought I was negative but ...........

Get it out in the open, having a bad time post it for heavens sake nobody failes to post they are having a bad time in the UK did they?

Edited to say, (I'm cooking dinner for 14 while popping in and out here) a lot of what eatstatic said is actually very similar to comments made by 2 lots of pom guests we have staying at present, especially about prices, weather, fat aussies, and aussies ignoring them once past the gday in the shops. There was also a little jab about the nightlife on new years eve, but hey if your used to flying to benidorm for 10 quid its bound to be a shock.
In my humble opinion, I don't think anyone feels threatened by it, its just that Eaststatic is now a known entity and people can't take him seriously. That's the problem. Having said that, what he has said this time is interesting and it can be taken seriously as its not too blatent.

BM