Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lorne Pier to Pub Swim

Lorne Pier to Pub Swim

Old Jan 4th 2005, 6:09 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lorne Pier to Pub Swim

Is anyone else on this Forum (apart from me) doing the Lorne Pier to Pub Swim this weekend?
http://www.lornesurfclub.com.au/Photo?Gallery=2

Best regards.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 11:45 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lorne Pier to Pub Swim

What ... no-one else ...?! Think of me then ... in the ocean with another 4,000+ swimmers!

Best regards.

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Is anyone else on this Forum (apart from me) doing the Lorne Pier to Pub Swim this weekend?

Best regards.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 11:50 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Good luck Alan, hope the weather warms up for you in your Speedos.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 11:56 pm
Migration Agent

Thanks mate! The cold on my (balding) head is more of a problem as I'll have my wetsuit on ... this said I've been out doing the swim each day this week anyway, so the water temperature shouldn't be too much of a shock ... :-))

Best regards.

Originally Posted by Bordy
Good luck Alan, hope the weather warms up for you in your Speedos.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:33 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks mate! The cold on my (balding) head is more of a problem as I'll have my wetsuit on ... this said I've been out doing the swim each day this week anyway, so the water temperature shouldn't be too much of a shock ... :-))

Best regards.
What temp is the water there?
Old Jan 7th 2005, 4:41 am
Migration Agent

Just back from my daily swim of the course (we're on hols in Lorne this week) ... I'm not good with water temperatures, but I've heard it said it is about 18 to 20 degrees C ...

Best regards.

Originally Posted by bondipom
What temp is the water there?
Old Jan 7th 2005, 5:07 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Just back from my daily swim of the course (we're on hols in Lorne this week) ... I'm not good with water temperatures, but I've heard it said it is about 18 to 20 degrees C ...

Best regards.

Far too cold for my liking!! Good luck though
Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Best regards.
Good luck with the swim Alan. They had the good sense to make it Pier to Pub and not vice-versa. There's less likelihood of coming across a 'Bondi floater' at Lorne too.

OzTennis
Old Jan 7th 2005, 10:00 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Best regards.
Probably wont make it this year; maybe next year.

I've heard that there is also a Mornington to Frankston swim starting this year. http://www.mornpen.vic.gov.au/event/...p?event_id=317

As they say: Bloody Big Swim.

Cheers
Alistair
PS: Good Luck with the swim.

Last edited by kirsty&al; Jan 7th 2005 at 10:04 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 11:24 pm
Migration Agent

Thanks OzT. I'm in a wave of 325 swimmers at 1.15pm, so should be an interesting bunfight ...

Onwards!

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Good luck with the swim Alan. They had the good sense to make it Pier to Pub and not vice-versa. There's less likelihood of coming across a 'Bondi floater' at Lorne too.

OzTennis
Old Jan 8th 2005, 11:17 pm
Migration Agent

Can I recommend the Lorne swim (and other ocean swims during summer) to anyone who enjoys the challenge of keeping fit and the social life that comes with swimming in Australia ... I have met heaps of great people over the last few months.

Yesterday in Lorne there were 702 males in my age group (40 to 49) with times varying from the quick (12 minutes) to the not so quick (probably glad to finish!). For what it's worth I clocked in at 16mins 36 (as per today's Herald Sun).

Off to the Danger 1000 at Torquay next weekend ...!

Best regards.
Old Jan 9th 2005, 3:30 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Can I recommend the Lorne swim (and other ocean swims during summer) to anyone who enjoys the challenge of keeping fit and the social life that comes with swimming in Australia ... I have met heaps of great people over the last few months.

Yesterday in Lorne there were 702 males in my age group (40 to 49) with times varying from the quick (12 minutes) to the not so quick (probably glad to finish!). For what it's worth I clocked in at 16mins 36 (as per today's Herald Sun).

Off to the Danger 1000 at Torquay next weekend ...!

Best regards.
Hi Alan....

I phoned my cousin last night. She's from Melbourne, but is in Lorne at the moment. They go every year from Christmas to the middle of January.

I think she got a bit confused with the whole, "Pier to Pub" thing and just went, "Pub to Pub", cos she was so drunk, she could hardly speak!

Seems like everybody had a good day...

Cheers.... John....