British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Report from the Mrs, fresh from godzone (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/report-mrs-fresh-godzone-275612/)

eatstatic Jan 5th 2005 10:47 pm

Report from the Mrs, fresh from godzone

My wife has just come back home after being in OZ with her familly for Christmas. Very nice to have her back, I was worried that her Mother (who doubles as spokeswoman for the OZ tourist board!) would have brainwashed the poor love into wanting to move back to Godzone.

Anyway I asked her what she thought of her homeland after 2 years abscence.

She thought the people were friendlier than in SE England, in shops etc (I personally find this to be superfiscial nonsense I could do without)

The seafood is cheap, other food no cheaper, sometimes priceier

Sydney summer weather is how we remembered it. humid, unreliable and pretty awful compared to our holidays in the Med

The pubs are indeed dead, souless and only suitable for cheap food and pokie addiction.

The TV is truely awful (pay TV included)

You get constant crap for sounding like a pom (she is a born and bred Aussie, seems the locals can hear a pom twang)

Strong national pride (usually amougst Aussies who have never left the country)

Aus has a lot of fat stupid loud badly dressed people, similar to UK chavs.

The sunshine coast looks pretty, but is dead and extremely boring.

All in all she says what I have always felt, that OZ is a struggle, even more so than the UK is (for us anyway). We are better off in Blighty at the moment, yet somewhere like the sunshine coast may be suitable for retirement in later years.

All in all Oz may look pretty on the postcard she sent me, however life is not a 2 week break in the sun and life is for living.

Life is indeed a valuable commodity and she reconfirmed my belief that OZ has pretty much FA of that.

Happy new year all :beer:

rubbeldiekatz Jan 5th 2005 10:52 pm

Re: Report from the Mrs, fresh from godzone

good that you can just stay in the UK then...

Ocker Jan 5th 2005 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by eatstatic
My wife has just come back home after being in OZ with her familly for Christmas. Very nice to have her back, I was worried that her Mother (who doubles as spokeswoman for the OZ tourist board!) would have brainwashed the poor love into wanting to move back to Godzone.

She thought the people were friendlier than in SE England, in shops etc (I personally find this to be superfiscial nonsense I could do without)

Sydney summer weather is how we remembered it. humid, unreliable and pretty awful compared to our holidays in the Med

The pubs are indeed dead, souless and only suitable for cheap food and pokie addiction.

You get constant crap for sounding like a pom (she is a born and bred Aussie, seems the locals can hear a pom twang)

All in all she says what I have always felt, that OZ is a struggle, even more so than the UK is (for us anyway). We are better off in Blighty at the moment, yet somewhere like the sunshine coast may be suitable for retirement in later years.

All in all Oz may look pretty on the postcard she sent me, however life is not a 2 week break in the sun and life is for living.

Life is indeed a valuable commodity and she reconfirmed my belief that OZ has pretty much FA of that.

Excuse me for asking, and I am sorry if I am wrong but, are you a troll?

Quinkana Jan 5th 2005 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Ocker

A piss-pot vegetarian apparently.

eatstatic Jan 5th 2005 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Ocker

If finding fault with the paradise on Earth that is OZ makes me a troll, then I am guilty as charged M'Lud :D

rudo1ph Jan 5th 2005 11:11 pm

You must have a very boring life there in the UK if you found it necessary to waste your time posting all this.

Why do people feel such a need to slag off other places - why can't people just be happy where they are and leave others to be happy in other places? We are all different - so what if you hate Australia - I don't care. I love it here, but that doesn't mean I bad-mouth the UK.

Rudi

rubbeldiekatz Jan 5th 2005 11:13 pm

some people are just see you next tuesdays

eatstatic Jan 5th 2005 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by rudo1ph
You must have a very boring life there in the UK if you found it necessary to waste your time posting all this.

Why do people feel such a need to slag off other places - why can't people just be happy where they are and leave others to be happy in other places? We are all different - so what if you hate Australia - I don't care. I love it here, but that doesn't mean I bad-mouth the UK.

Rudi

Please accept my most humble apologies, I forgot the North Korean style approach to free ideas that SOME posters on here expect.

Just because some people see through the glossy tourist image of Australia, does that mean they should have their toungue removed. :rolleyes:

Badge Jan 5th 2005 11:18 pm

You like it enough to consider retiring there, though?

BM :D

rubbeldiekatz Jan 5th 2005 11:21 pm

Please accept my most humble apologies, I forgot the North Korean style approach to free ideas that SOME posters on here expect.

Just because some people see through the glossy tourist image of Australia, does that mean they should have their toungue removed. :rolleyes:

honestly what a lot of crap mate.....

wombat42 Jan 5th 2005 11:22 pm

Eatstatic, Eatshit, Stay in your overcrowded, overconjested, overpolluted, overexpensive, freezing, grey, dreary, miserable, classridden, crimeridden toilet that is called the Uk and leave the best country on earth for those that appreciate it. :D

rudo1ph Jan 5th 2005 11:25 pm

I don't have a tourist image of Australia - I LIVE HERE. I just don't understand why you would come on here and post how crap YOU think Australia is. WHY WHY WHY??? What is your point? You prefer the UK - great, but why does that mean you have to be so nasty about Australia. Just because you have sour grapes because things didn't work out for you, doesn't mean it's like that for everyone.

rubbeldiekatz Jan 5th 2005 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by wombat42
Eatstatic, Eatshit, Stay in your overcrowded, overconjested, overpolluted, freezing, miserable, classridden, crimeridden toilet that is called the Uk and leave the best country on earth for those that appreciate it. :D

hahahahahahahah touche !!!!

rudo1ph Jan 5th 2005 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by wombat42
Eatstatic, Eatshit, Stay in your overcrowded, overconjested, overpolluted, freezing, miserable, classridden, crimeridden toilet that is called the Uk and leave the best country on earth for those that appreciate it. :D

From the sublime to the ridiculous.............. :(

Snark Jan 5th 2005 11:40 pm

Hey, double standards, guys! What is it with this forum? People continually complain about how bad the UK is and everyone metaphorically nods their heads. But the moment anyone dares to criticise Oz he gets his head bitten off. Excuse moi but I thought this was the place to talk about what it's like in Oz. It's no picnic here. Some of what eatstatic says I agree with, some of it I disagree entirely with. Doesn't mean he should keep his trap shut.

wombat42, much of what you say about the UK is true of Oz too.

quinkana, what's wrong being a vegetarian? (I mean you seemed to be using it as an insult... just how narrow-minded are you?)