Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

racism? exaggeration??

racism? exaggeration??

Old Aug 6th 2010, 10:22 am
Just Joined

slipper is an unknown quantity at this point
Question racism? exaggeration??

I am a British born Indian living in the UK who is thinking about doing (have gained admission) on a postgraduate course in accounting in Australia and then I hope to get a job out there doing CPA/CA.

But I never actually been to Australia - but I want to do this for many different reasons for which I wont go into.

But of course I read the news and the news regarding racism in Australia is quite frankly a little worrying for me. But on the other hand I feel the media may be blowing this way out of proportion? - Of course many student were assaulted and even killed.

The UK has its own problems for which I personally think is not that bad but because of the media coverage, Australia seems to have a serious issue.

I just wanted your thoughts with regarding this please.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: racism? exaggeration??

Most of the racism you will experience will be from other immigrants and their Australian born children.

Australians practically dont exist anymore, they are going extinct. You will probably be made monkey noises by a group of Asians and you will probably be threatened by a gang of Lebs.

Aussies are the least of your worries.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 10:47 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

the media do blow it up but i have found in queensland (well the aussies i work with) that they hate anyone not born here and that can include aussies from other states
Old Aug 6th 2010, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I haven't noticed Sydney being that racist (certainly no different to London) but I'm a white Pom.

Where I notice the "racism" is towards those that can't speak/write english well or can't join in a conversation about what is happening on the telly, big sports stuff etc. or those that refuse to go to the pub or are overly religious.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 11:23 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by slipper
I am a British born Indian living in the UK who is thinking about doing (have gained admission) on a postgraduate course in accounting in Australia and then I hope to get a job out there doing CPA/CA.

But I never actually been to Australia - but I want to do this for many different reasons for which I wont go into.

But of course I read the news and the news regarding racism in Australia is quite frankly a little worrying for me. But on the other hand I feel the media may be blowing this way out of proportion? - Of course many student were assaulted and even killed.

The UK has its own problems for which I personally think is not that bad but because of the media coverage, Australia seems to have a serious issue.

I just wanted your thoughts with regarding this please.
The Indian media is blowing it out of proportion, there always seems to be some case where some Indian guy gets murdered in OZ and its all over the Indian media as a racist murder then it turns out it was another Indian guy that did it, like the murder of that indian kid in Melbourne recently.
Then remember that Indian guy set on fire by racists that made news all around the world, everyone calling OZ a racist country, then it turns out he accidently set himself on fire while pouring petrol over his car in an insurance scam then made up a story that white racists set him alight.
This whole Indian racism thing in OZ only started a few years ago when hundreds of thousands of poor Indians started enroling in dodgy colleges jsut to get permanent residency and lived in poor high crime areas and worked in jobs like taxi drivers where they are at risk of being robbed and attacked , everytime they were it was all over the indian media as a racist attack even though robery was the motive

Last edited by mohogony; Aug 6th 2010 at 11:30 am.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 11:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy©
the media do blow it up but i have found in queensland (well the aussies i work with) that they hate anyone not born here and that can include aussies from other states
I only know about three QLD Aussies, all the rest are from interstate or overseas. No one seems bothered by anyone else regardless of where they come from - unless they are complete dickheads of course. Only 'racism' I've heard personally is against Aborigines and that's only a few. Luck of the draw I guess.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 12:55 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I only know about three QLD Aussies, all the rest are from interstate or overseas. No one seems bothered by anyone else regardless of where they come from - unless they are complete dickheads of course. Only 'racism' I've heard personally is against Aborigines and that's only a few. Luck of the draw I guess.
it is the luck of the draw. if you were to listen to the shit i hear every day it would make yir hair curl
Old Aug 6th 2010, 12:58 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Only 'racism' I've heard personally is against Aborigines and that's only a few. Luck of the draw I guess.
Likewise, but on a larger scale and with the racism going both ways.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know if I would quite call it racism but in some places there is an undercurrent of dislike against anything not australian. Regardless of if your white or black you have to expect certain people to be against you if you are english or if you have any accent I think.

The majority of people are really nice but its just the odd one or two that can be a problem. I was really taken aback the first time I met someone who really had a hatred against english people, it was a bit of a shock

At the end of the day you have to understand your in their country as a guest and accept that you will bump into some idiots who might be racist, or whats the term for hating english or anything different, nationalist?
Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes racism does exist here and is quite prevelant, particularly towards the Indians/Sri Lankans/Pakistani people. You will need a thick skin to deal with some of the comments made.

Many people engage their mouths before their brains!!
Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
Yes racism does exist here and is quite prevelant, particularly towards the Indians/Sri Lankans/Pakistani people. You will need a thick skin to deal with some of the comments made.

Many people engage their mouths before their brains!!
Here? Where's here? It would be useful for many to know.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Here? Where's here? It would be useful for many to know.
In Melbourne
Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Hebe
In Melbourne
Thanks.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:06 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, the Indians and Pakitstanis seem to love a good flag/effigy burning. Except they look like right tits when it turns out that the Indian that was beaten up or the Pakistani that was murdered was attacked by a member of their own family or another Indian or Pakistani. Random violence doesn't recognise colour - you're just as likely to get your head kicked on of a Friday night in Kings Cross if you're white.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hutch
As others have said, the Indians and Pakitstanis seem to love a good flag/effigy burning. Except they look like right tits when it turns out that the Indian that was beaten up or the Pakistani that was murdered was attacked by a member of their own family or another Indian or Pakistani. Random violence doesn't recognise colour - you're just as likely to get your head kicked on of a Friday night in Kings Cross if you're white.

You are probably right about random violence but if you are of colour, and particularly Indian, then you are more likely to suffer racist comments. Some people may find this ok and say 'it's only in jest - it's the Aussie way' but for those on the receiving end it is a completely different matter.

Last edited by Hebe; Aug 6th 2010 at 1:17 pm. Reason: spelling error - probably more in there as well!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.