Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

perth....suburbs to avoid???

perth....suburbs to avoid???

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future
Default Re: perth....suburbs to avoid???

Originally Posted by dodge26
As a matter of interest what is the % of social housing provided on new developments? Anybody........
Whats is social housing is it the same as our council houses or DSS renting a private house and the goverment pays for it???As I never seen any "council estate" type areas on my reccie trip?? do they have such a thing??

cheers
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Originally Posted by hannah1202
hi guys, i am researching researching and researching suburbs in perth for me and my son to move to. I have found many suburbs that read well just wanted to know if there are any suburbs that i should try and avoid? thanks x
Anywhere which has bogans (mature age chavs / neds) revving their engines at 3am!. Saw some 'imported' UK chavs at the shopping centre in Rockingham the other day as it happens - complete with burbeeerrreeeee baseball cap and black trainers!.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

TheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gordo Marshall
Anywhere which has bogans (mature age chavs / neds) revving their engines at 3am!.
Unfortunately, that would rule out most of WA
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

mcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to all

In a nutshell dont move to Perth full stop,unless you want to grow old before your time.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:26 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Anywhere which has bogans (mature age chavs / neds) revving their engines at 3am!. Saw some 'imported' UK chavs at the shopping centre in Rockingham the other day as it happens - complete with burbeeerrreeeee baseball cap and black trainers!.
this gives anyone who doesnt know WA and its southern 'burbs the impression that Rockingham may be full of chavs and that nowhere else has them- this is not a reasonable statement-most places in Oz has its fair share of English and all the different social groups that goes them. My personal favourite being the ones who insist on walking round with thier football shirts on - usually with MANUFC on thier number plates, many to be found in certain pubs in Joondalup as well as other places in WA and OZ...
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:33 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheRutters
Unfortunately, that would rule out most of WA
please refer to Asprilla's post 'Hoon Hotspots'
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:35 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

Originally Posted by mcmorrow1
In a nutshell dont move to Perth full stop,unless you want to grow old before your time.
you seem set on naffing people off with your negative replies, the OP has asked a reasonable question, it you cant say nothing nice DONT SAY NOTHING AT ALL.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcmorrow1
Not a totally unfair comment to make...hard to verify one expects to the passive masses out there.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii
you seem set on naffing people off with your negative replies, the OP has asked a reasonable question, it you cant say nothing nice DONT SAY NOTHING AT ALL.
All non personal attacking responses should be welcome. What is the problem?You should know better than upset yourself with what is written on the BE forum.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

painter in aus will become famous soon enoughpainter in aus will become famous soon enough

SNOB
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne UK to Helensville Nz to Secret Harbour Perth WA
donki is an unknown quantity at this point

quite worried by the bantering on this... we move to Perth in 4 weeks and after reading all this negativity i am thinking are we taking the right step, or it it just... the people who are negative just really dont like being away from the UK and take out there homesickness on every little thing they can? whilst the people who are enjoying Perth aren't homesick so don't have to compare every detail back to there original life in blighty?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

Hey donki
Ignore the negative posters. Aussie's are just way more laid back and have less of a look at me and look at what I own and wear attitude. For some reason some of the posters on this forum seem to equate that with being a bogan? Forget the labels and leave the pigeon-holing in the UK when you move and you will enjoy Oz more.

The OP asked about social housing. Generally that refers to areas where the housing is subsidised by the government much like council housing in the UK. You will find some areas are classed as private estates where there will be no social housing at all but then the bigger new estates like Butler have a certain percentage allocated for social housing. They are also usually spaced throughout the estate so not all on the one street. My sister happens to own her house and when she bought it she was not aware that the house next door was Homeswest (social housing). The people in the house are a lovely family and she has no problems with them. So it is not necessarily a bad thing. Some people just struggle more in life.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by donki
quite worried by the bantering on this... we move to Perth in 4 weeks and after reading all this negativity i am thinking are we taking the right step, or it it just... the people who are negative just really dont like being away from the UK and take out there homesickness on every little thing they can? whilst the people who are enjoying Perth aren't homesick so don't have to compare every detail back to there original life in blighty?
Originally Posted by Zenshin
Hey donki
Ignore the negative posters. Aussie's are just way more laid back and have less of a look at me and look at what I own and wear attitude. For some reason some of the posters on this forum seem to equate that with being a bogan? Forget the labels and leave the pigeon-holing in the UK when you move and you will enjoy Oz more.
Its nothing to do with Aussie's laid back attitude (myth anyway) and seems more to do with Perth. I haven't even been to Perth so I can only base this on what I read on here, but Perth, more than anywhere else, seems to be a love it or loath it place. Very few of the BE people in Perth seem to be able to take it or leave it and it brings out the extremes in peoples attitudes.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

I meant laid back in that we don't get all concerned about the latest labels etc in determining if people are worthy of our time.

As an Aussie living in the Uk, I have found a lot of English people tend to judge a book by its cover. They like to label people and then choose not to associate with certain groups because of the label they have attached to them.

Go with a friendly, non-judgemental attitude and you will settle in well in Australia.

I love Perth as I was born and raised there and I will be the first to admit it definitely is not paradise but then I have travelled all over the world and I still haven't found paradise. I can understand why people may have a problem with Perth though as it is a little slower paced and the way things are done are different. But aren't most people moving there for a more relaxed less hectic way of life anyway? I expect I will even take a little time to settle back in after 11 years away. Looking forward to the challenge though.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Zenshin
Hey donki

The OP asked about social housing. Generally that refers to areas where the housing is subsidised by the government much like council housing in the UK. You will find some areas are classed as private estates where there will be no social housing at all but then the bigger new estates like Butler have a certain percentage allocated for social housing. They are also usually spaced throughout the estate so not all on the one street. My sister happens to own her house and when she bought it she was not aware that the house next door was Homeswest (social housing). The people in the house are a lovely family and she has no problems with them. So it is not necessarily a bad thing. Some people just struggle more in life.
donki ,my advice would be to ignore neither the negatives or the positive posts,but remember they are opinions and most of us have one of those.
Zenshin,being born in WA but lived a very long time abroad(including 21 years in England)i can say that Perth does certainly not cut the mustard with a lot of folk,and that includes many local born who have moved onto Melbourne and Sydney,while others went further afield.
Countless Perth burbs are lifeless,(seldom ever see a soul)with quite basic housing and limited infrastructure.The houses may or maybe not of the social variety,with neighbours tending to keep much to themselves.Hence social isolation can be an issue.
Perth is not cheap but if you like warm weather then you'll find that in abundance here.Good beaches abound.
People really need to define what exactly it means to them personly,what being laid back is.It is certainly not laid back in a cool way,by that i mean accepting alternatives and just being open and mellow,but it is if that means not giving a damn about very much,not overburdening ones intellect,being somewhat indifferent to the world,basically thinking very local.
Yes what is worn on street level is very basic,i grant you that,and i do at times find that refreshing after three and a half years in France ,where clothes do tend at times to make thy man.
But how cool was the London street culture of the time..cool and liberating...
Materialism rules here, possibly owing to a lack of ready alternatives....
All in all not all bad and very far from being all good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.