Reload this Page >

Parent Nightmare

Parent Nightmare

Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:32 pm
Dumb Blonde

I want out is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parent Nightmare

Hi All
Decided to tell parents of my decision to move to the Sunny Side yesterday. Needless to say it went down like a lead balloon!! Ended in a very heated "discusion" involing such words as "are you bloody mad?" and "why give up what you've worked for?" Bla Bla Bla Bla. Now neither of them are speaking to me. Ant suggestions on how I can covince them that I've not completely lost the plot?
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I think it might be best to just let the dust settle for a while and let the shock of it all sink in. Anything you say right now wont mean jack!!
I have to be honest and say that if i were still in UK and my grown up daughter said she was moving to other side of the world, i would have been mortified. Once they have calmed down, then talk about it.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottalison6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you just come out with it??..We are planning on telling our parents at weekend coming..Brother already moved to oz 7 years ago(mum never visited)and both sets of wife and i's parents both divorced..ant tips???lol
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:40 pm
Dumb Blonde

Will probably have a visa by the time they calm down. How's thw weigh in going??
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Going great thanx, just very frustrated that ever since i bought a pass for swimming the weather has turned to custard!...its an outdoor pool
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:46 pm
Dumb Blonde

Originally posted by podgypossum
Going great thanx, just very frustrated that ever since i bought a pass for swimming the weather has turned to custard!...its an outdoor pool
Thougt it was supposed to be hot out there
Scott don't envy you at all, How about getting them very drunk when you do it, that way it'll just come back to them slowly the next day
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Parent Nightmare

Now neither of them are speaking to me.

Thank your lucky stars!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Well, too be honest I just made hints about oz for a couple of months before actually telling them.

My mum is still upset about it and if we are alone she will actually say to me "don't go, please don't go". This upsets me for a while but then I get angry about it as I don't feel that she should be doing this. My dad had hardly mentioned it since being told, so to be honest I have no idea how he feels.

On top of that my daughter of 17 is staying behind to finish her course and doesn't know if she will follow us out there and my son had been really upset today about going (he is feeling much happier after the messages from this forum today - thanks)

So all in all, I have had a really cr*p day, been off work ill but still want to go to oz and know I am doing the right thing for my family.

Mandy
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

can't belive it..33 years old and still nervous about telling something to my mum!!!(dad already knows..all for it by the way!!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:56 pm
Dumb Blonde

Originally posted by scottalison6
can't belive it..33 years old and still nervous about telling something to my mum!!!(dad already knows..all for it by the way!!
I know what you mean, I think my Mum will probably talk my Dad around (when they start speaking to each other aswell as me) Yours will probably do the same
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Although they are in shock now they will settle down, after all they have plenty of notice.

As I said my mum hates the idea and said she would never visit but I have found out that she is saving to visit us and has even given up the fags to save money, that's dedication especially as she smokes 30-40 a day for the last 40 odd years. She will also have a conversation about it without going misty eyed - unless she has a drink. Tip, avoid parents when you have all been out having a drink or too as this is when they are at their worst, found this out xmas.

Mandy
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:02 pm
Dumb Blonde

Originally posted by scrawni
Although they are in shock now they will settle down, after all they have plenty of notice.

As I said my mum hates the idea and said she would never visit but I have found out that she is saving to visit us and has even given up the fags to save money, that's dedication especially as she smokes 30-40 a day for the last 40 odd years. She will also have a conversation about it without going misty eyed - unless she has a drink. Tip, avoid parents when you have all been out having a drink or too as this is when they are at their worst, found this out xmas.

Mandy
Will take that tip on board

Your Mum will come to see you, giving up the fags will pay for quite a few visits, as a puffer myself that means she'll save £3000 a year
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:04 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

I started off by striking up a conversation about things which really get up my parents nose for e.g illegal immigrants, NHS etc. etc. Then I said you know mum we have been thinking about emigrating to get away from all this.
Thankfully my dad said 'I don't bloody blame you wish I had done it when you were kids'.

.....................Your parents gave you the wings (confidence) when you were young then you must be allowed to fly!

The world is much smaller now.

p.s. I have asked mine if they will come too (if visa ok etc.) as I have 2 out of their 3 grandkids. They are up 4 it but when it comes to the cruch they may well back down.

Best of Luck

Jo
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:07 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

I don't think my dear old mum is overjoyed at the thought. My brother is already out there so the thought of 2 out of 3 of her boys t'other side of the world is not a pleasant one. Fortunately this doesn't affect our relationship but there are the odd outbursts that reveal how little she likes the idea. Like 'I want out' I also get the 'Why give up what you've worked for?' suggestions. Mother fails to understand that I'm not actually all that interested in spending the next thirty years in the financial services industry.

Patience is the key. Try not to get into arguments over it. It's your life and you have to think with your heart. No point always planning and thinking about the future, it's the present that matters!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks for the tips guys..any more much appreciated!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.