Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

rekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nice
Default Oz-Is it a nanny state?

One of my biggest issues with the UK is the state of the American blame and claim culture that has ruined many of our once great institutions, one of them being our lack of being able to discipline our kids for bad behaviour and the knock on effect this has had in schools, teachers are so afraid of reprisals for the merest hint of a telling off, never mind clipping em round the ear or getting a slipper in front of the whole school like when i was at primary.

At least in Oz the kids wouldn't be kept inside for two weeks because the snowy playground is a "Health and safety" risk lol.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:26 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Australia has by far one of the most litigious societies much like the US. The blame culture is certainly alive and kicking as we tend to follow cultural leads from the states also.

Let us not forget that here in Australia we are about to censor our internet because its not "safe" in the same manner as China. We do not have adult 18 certifications for games to "protect" people.

Ultimately I think what you describe is a disease of western society as a whole to some degree or another sadly. The details may vary, but people do not want to take personal responsibility for themselves today in the main.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:50 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Is it ever!

Not just Australia, everywhere that there are people who basically have nothing better to do than to dream up regulations "for our own good".

The problem is that this is a ratchet effect - a dribble of new rules all the time, but no-one with the common sense and cojones to get rid of any, so the number just keeps rising.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rekkymech

At least in Oz the kids wouldn't be kept inside for two weeks because the snowy playground is a "Health and safety" risk lol.
No, they took down the sunshades over the playground in an area with UV levels of around 13 midday as they were 'dangerous', however then they banned playing on the equipment before school, after school and at lunchtime anyway.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Australia has by far one of the most litigious societies much like the US. The blame culture is certainly alive and kicking as we tend to follow cultural leads from the states also.

Let us not forget that here in Australia we are about to censor our internet because its not "safe" in the same manner as China. We do not have adult 18 certifications for games to "protect" people.

Ultimately I think what you describe is a disease of western society as a whole to some degree or another sadly. The details may vary, but people do not want to take personal responsibility for themselves today in the main.
Yeah, and don't get me started on the supplements. Herbs that I could buy back in Canada are restricted items here because we poor saps might not have a clue how to use them and damage ourselves...
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

iolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud of

One of my biggest issues with the UK is the state of the American blame and claim culture that has ruined many of our once great institutions, one of them being our lack of being able to discipline our kids for bad behaviour and the knock on effect this has had in schools, teachers are so afraid of reprisals for the merest hint of a telling off, never mind clipping em round the ear or getting a slipper in front of the whole school like when i was at primary.

Aren't these two different issues that are being tarred with the same brush? There is such a huge body of research into the use of punishment (particularly physical punishment) to force 'correct' behaviour and the long-term detriment to society that it causes. There are also plenty of reasons for bad behaviour in schools, one of the most important is the degradation of government spending in the education sector and the long term push for teachers to take on more and more responsibility. Yes, there has been a rise of litigation since the early 80s in Britain, but it is only one factor in a complex issue.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 10:36 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>Aren't these two different issues that are being tarred with the same brush? There is such a huge body of research into the use of punishment (particularly physical punishment) to force 'correct' behaviour and the long-term detriment to society that it causes.<<

So the restrictions on use of punishments in schools that have been increasing over the last forty years have resulted in the better behaviour and reduction in teenage violence that we see now.

(I needed a good laugh this morning.)
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 10:52 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and so is the UK.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 11:19 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

It's a Supernanny State.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 11:22 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
It's a Supernanny State.
I'm sorry but that's unasseptable!
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Or stopped from playing on a school grass playing field because of health and safety issues
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

iolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wol
>>Aren't these two different issues that are being tarred with the same brush? There is such a huge body of research into the use of punishment (particularly physical punishment) to force 'correct' behaviour and the long-term detriment to society that it causes.<<

So the restrictions on use of punishments in schools that have been increasing over the last forty years have resulted in the better behaviour and reduction in teenage violence that we see now.

(I needed a good laugh this morning.)
well that is one way to deliberately misread what I wrote. I cannot respond to what you said as it doesn't address the point I was making.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 7:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't have a nanny in the UK and don't have one here.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 7:23 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iolande
well that is one way to deliberately misread what I wrote. I cannot respond to what you said as it doesn't address the point I was making.
I thought I had responded to your point in my quote from your post.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 9:12 am
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

my nanny has been drinking to much and is in a state; is that the same?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.