Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Old Jan 23rd 2010, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Oz-Is it a nanny state?

The censorship of the internet disturbs me. What other monitoring purposes is it going to be used for?
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 2:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 77hil
The censorship of the internet disturbs me. What other monitoring purposes is it going to be used for?
Who knows? They are censoring that too.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 1:47 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I find it very disturbing indeed. I think it's a real affront to freedom of speech and information.

With Turnbull at the helm of the Liberal Party, I felt sure that we would see the end of this nonsense, but with crazy Abbott, I fear that it will make it through, despite the Greens opposition.

To the OP, sadly, I feel that Aus is something of a nanny state - There are many things that you can do elsewhere that are completely forbidden here. Some of it I suspect is more about protecting jobs - particularly trades - than it is about protecting people, but other things I'm less sure of.

The government/s (Federal, state and local) have a definite 'we know best' attitude, and that, coupled with the Australian apathy towards demonstration and protest means that what the government wants they usually get. And we all know that once a law is in place, it can be very hard to get it repealed.

The intrusion of 'officialdom' into so many aspects of everyday life is one of the few irks that I have about living here, but I sadly feel that it is only getting worse, and is very unlikely to get better.

S
Old Jan 27th 2010, 1:51 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I can categorically tell you that there is no censoring of the internet in Australia it's just ***** and **** but **** **** **** ****, notwithstanding ****'s *** **** **** and his balls.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 1:55 am
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

If you ever find yourself recognising that there are too many traffic lights in an area that normally wouldn't have any where you come from, then nanny state realism is probably whats behind it.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 1:57 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachband
If you ever find yourself recognising that there are too many traffic lights in an area that normally wouldn't have any where you come from, then nanny state realism is probably whats behind it.
And that, maybe, you need a mentally stimulating hobby?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 1:59 am
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DeadVim
And that, maybe, you need a mentally stimulating hobby?
Or posting too much in 1 month on BE
Old Jan 27th 2010, 2:00 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

They will no doubt ban BE under the Internet Censorship Act, so soon you won't be able to do that either
Old Jan 27th 2010, 2:08 am
Mostly Harmless

This is also a worrying sign of deteriorating mental health

I try and keep up the Scrabble to balance things out but I'm fighting a losing battle.

I'll just be a dribbling mess by Friday evening. OK, that isn't THAT unusual for a Friday evening.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:11 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

DeadVim's merely his latest persona - he's been kicking around these forums for a **** sight longer than a month.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:21 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Hutch
DeadVim's merely his latest persona - he's been kicking around these forums for a **** sight longer than a month.
Schizophrenia and Serial Flouncing, more things to add to my list of faults.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:22 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Schizophrenia and Serial Flouncing, more things to add to my list of faults.
I still think LazurusVim would have been a better username
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:30 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by kporte
I still think LazurusVim would have been a better username
But then I would have to field questions like "Why did you spell Lazarus with 2 u's?".

It's not a good start if you really want to lay into someone's opinion
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:36 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

But then I would have to field questions like "Why did you spell Lazarus with 2 u's?".

It's not a good start if you really want to lay into someone's opinion
You have to take into account my atheism.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:43 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by kporte
You have to take into account my atheism.
Ah, a non-prophet organisation ... understood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.