Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Old Jan 31st 2010, 12:57 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Banning blankets? Are doonas safe?
Old Jan 31st 2010, 3:32 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Parallel dimensions yet again for me. I was on patrol at our local beach for the duration of Australia day - from 8am until 6pm.

There's a small local bylaw that prohibits the consumption of alcohol in the public carpark next to the surf club building which was introduced some time ago because some local kids were coming to the car park and getting drunk. Anyway, quite a few back packer style combis backed up to the grass at the edge of the car park. Tents went up, radios came out (JJJ hottest 100), eskies opened, beer being consumed. Everyone's happy, no-one's causing anyone any grief.

About midday the police show up, doing the rounds. They can clearly see the young folks sipping their beer, they can also clearly see that it's all very good natured and nobody's being a wanker. I have a chat to those coppers right next to two surfers sipping a TED each. We talk about the recent drownings in NSW. Then they get in their police car and off they go.

I was down at the beach this morning. Everyone had gone. There were a couple of empty beer bottles left in the dunes, but that was it. Maybe it's different out in the sticks, but I had terrific day at the beach and so did everyone else I saw.

If it sucked like it seems to where some of you live. I'd move.
It's nice where you are though. Can't imagine that being allowed to happen at Cronulla.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 3:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
More "stupidity", I think than "nanny".
Someone made a law to stop young P platers driving high power cars, a good thing in general, but didn't check it thoroughly...

Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:17 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
More "stupidity", I think than "nanny".
Someone made a law to stop young P platers driving high power cars, a good thing in general, but didn't check it thoroughly...

Hmmm. Maybe, maybe not.

To my mind it smacks of "Government knows best, and as government thinks that turbochargers are bad, hence government bans all P platers from driving them..."

It hasn't thought the policy through - it's a knee jerk reaction without any thought to it - as is always characterised by Nany state-ism policy making.

S
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:55 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Funny as in almost 10 years here I've never seen them before patrolling picnic areas and the like, whether it's at the beach, park etc.

They got the 'police volunteers' (on their uniforms) to hand out the leaflets while the actual police were a stone's throw away under their tent on the edge of the beach. So the leaflets were the warning before the fine - the 'good cop, bad cop' scenario if you will
Where I work (as a cop) in South Brisbane, we patrol the parks all the time, not just Australia Day. And although you're not allowed to drink in the public places (apart from some exceptions) we leave the 'normal' people - families, small groups of sensible people who are enjoying a couple of beers or some wine etc alone to have some drinks. We only step in and tip drinks out or give tickets if there are big groups of people getting rowdy and causing problems, or groups of students who frequent a park in my area who we get complaints about and get drunk and noisy in the park next to their college.

We're not out to ruin anyone's fun on Australia Day or any other day, and like I said, we leave 98% of people having a quiet drink well alone to enjoy themselves.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
We're not out to ruin anyone's fun on Australia Day or any other day, and like I said, we leave 98% of people having a quiet drink well alone to enjoy themselves.
Thanks
I always thought I was an exceptional case, maybe my good looks, , but it seems I am just one of the 98% majority

Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I didn't have a nanny in the UK and don't have one here.

We're planning to get one in Oz.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
Where I work (as a cop) in South Brisbane, we patrol the parks all the time, not just Australia Day. And although you're not allowed to drink in the public places (apart from some exceptions) we leave the 'normal' people - families, small groups of sensible people who are enjoying a couple of beers or some wine etc alone to have some drinks. We only step in and tip drinks out or give tickets if there are big groups of people getting rowdy and causing problems, or groups of students who frequent a park in my area who we get complaints about and get drunk and noisy in the park next to their college.

Hey Emma - That's why I never knew this law existed, as I'd never seen it enforced before, so was completely unaware. I can assure you, however, that they were stopping everyone on Australia Day from drinking, not just a 2% of trouble makers. All families just trying to have a quiet picnic or barbeque
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Thanks
I always thought I was an exceptional case, maybe my good looks, , but it seems I am just one of the 98% majority
Nah I think it must be your exceptional good looks. Either that or your use of stats scares them!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:59 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rekkymech
One of my biggest issues with the UK is the state of the American blame and claim culture that has ruined many of our once great institutions, one of them being our lack of being able to discipline our kids for bad behaviour and the knock on effect this has had in schools, teachers are so afraid of reprisals for the merest hint of a telling off, never mind clipping em round the ear or getting a slipper in front of the whole school like when i was at primary.

At least in Oz the kids wouldn't be kept inside for two weeks because the snowy playground is a "Health and safety" risk lol.
This stuff is generally just as bad in Australia - in some respects better than the UK but in others worse.

This is one of the things that I think people need to be aware of. People generally tend to think (largely due to the tabloid press in the UK and misguided Aussies who don't know their own country very well for some reason) that all these issues are unique to the UK and that if they move to Australia they will escape it.

In most respects society is run in essentially the same way in Australia as in the UK. The government has the same basic approach.

Thinking that Australia is immune to all this s*** is a huge mistake for potential migrants.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

magic_stag is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
When it was too hot in OZ my kids also had to stay indoors at school...there's a nanny for you

Actually, my kids were allowed to go out at break time when the snow was here (as long as they had wellies on).
Same for my boys, their mother would not let them into the pool until 5pm Jan in Brisbane. Sun too strong, but it means that you are forced indoors in stuffy conditions. The person I was staying with was so mean he would not put the air-con on at 40 degree heat! Just to save electricity.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magic_stag
Same for my boys, their mother would not let them into the pool until 5pm Jan in Brisbane. Sun too strong, but it means that you are forced indoors in stuffy conditions. The person I was staying with was so mean he would not put the air-con on at 40 degree heat! Just to save electricity.

That's stupid.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

rekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alfresco

That's stupid.
mmmm yeah, how on earth did the human race survive so long without air con
Old Feb 5th 2010, 9:16 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

mmmm yeah, how on earth did the human race survive so long without air con
For a long time they lived in housing appropriate to the climate - instead of poorly insulated double storey brick McMansions with no eaves which make A/C a necessity!
Old Feb 5th 2010, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

tevez is just really nicetevez is just really nicetevez is just really nicetevez is just really nicetevez is just really nicetevez is just really nicetevez is just really nicetevez is just really nice

Australia 20 years ago was v. much a larrakin, friendly, knockabout type of a place with lots of beers drinking, travellers and people by & large having a good time. Not aware of any Govt. interfering back then, nobody cared less.

Now we have the internet being censored by that fknut Conroy who is a comlete dropkick. Aside from that the rules\fines have gone wildy out of control. Parking fines are frequent and super expensive. A parking ticket is $82 last I got one. Probably $90 now. RTA, who are a private not govt. run organisation, make up new revenue raising schemes on a daily basis. Road cops are a particularly nasty bunch of teenagers.

The good side of the so called nanny-state is that you can get some form of welfare payment for pretty much anything if you drop by Centrelink. Baby bonus is great too. Also the swimming pool safety regulations are appropriate.

One of my biggest issues with the UK is the state of the American blame and claim culture that has ruined many of our once great institutions, one of them being our lack of being able to discipline our kids for bad behaviour and the knock on effect this has had in schools, teachers are so afraid of reprisals for the merest hint of a telling off, never mind clipping em round the ear or getting a slipper in front of the whole school like when i was at primary.

At least in Oz the kids wouldn't be kept inside for two weeks because the snowy playground is a "Health and safety" risk lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.