Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:05 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Of course it is...you're not allowed to bloody fart without a licence
Strewth - d'you mean I've been illegal all these years?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Oh, I understand where they are coming from, of course. They don't want all the bad publicity (and injuries) that comes with further riots on Australia Day. Otherwise why aren't they out patrolling parks etc on the weekends? I just find it ludicrous that because a few ruin it, everyone has to be treated like a child.
Maybe it's different up in Brissie but I've noticed the police patrolling most weekends on various beaches down here. Not a one off for Aus Day. I'm sure they miss loads though. Handing out leaflets doesn't strike me as being too officious.

Most rules in place around the world are there because of the minority in my opinion. I don't drink, other than maybe one or two beers in a week. Maybe if I drank more when out and about I'd not like the rules but because they don't affect me, I don't care.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:06 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wol
Strewth - d'you mean I've been illegal all these years?
Lock him up now you convict.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Maybe it's different up in Brissie but I've noticed the police patrolling most weekends on various beaches down here. Not a one off for Aus Day. I'm sure they miss loads though. Handing out leaflets doesn't strike me as being too officious.
Funny as in almost 10 years here I've never seen them before patrolling picnic areas and the like, whether it's at the beach, park etc.

They got the 'police volunteers' (on their uniforms) to hand out the leaflets while the actual police were a stone's throw away under their tent on the edge of the beach. So the leaflets were the warning before the fine - the 'good cop, bad cop' scenario if you will
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Funny as in almost 10 years here I've never seen them before patrolling picnic areas and the like, whether it's at the beach, park etc.

They got the 'police volunteers' (on their uniforms) to hand out the leaflets while the actual police were a stone's throw away under their tent on the edge of the beach. So the leaflets were the warning before the fine - the 'good cop, bad cop' scenario if you will
You probably get a bigger fine if you're found with a bottle of grog and a leaflet at the same time
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You probably get a bigger fine if you're found with a bottle of grog and a leaflet at the same time
I managed to get a sneaky beer in anyway, as I poured it into one of those brightly coloured kids beakers and bob was most certainly my uncle!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

I managed to get a sneaky beer in anyway, as I poured it into one of those brightly coloured kids beakers and bob was most certainly my uncle!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:01 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Parallel dimensions yet again for me. I was on patrol at our local beach for the duration of Australia day - from 8am until 6pm.

There's a small local bylaw that prohibits the consumption of alcohol in the public carpark next to the surf club building which was introduced some time ago because some local kids were coming to the car park and getting drunk. Anyway, quite a few back packer style combis backed up to the grass at the edge of the car park. Tents went up, radios came out (JJJ hottest 100), eskies opened, beer being consumed. Everyone's happy, no-one's causing anyone any grief.

About midday the police show up, doing the rounds. They can clearly see the young folks sipping their beer, they can also clearly see that it's all very good natured and nobody's being a wanker. I have a chat to those coppers right next to two surfers sipping a TED each. We talk about the recent drownings in NSW. Then they get in their police car and off they go.

I was down at the beach this morning. Everyone had gone. There were a couple of empty beer bottles left in the dunes, but that was it. Maybe it's different out in the sticks, but I had terrific day at the beach and so did everyone else I saw.

If it sucked like it seems to where some of you live. I'd move.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hutch
Parallel dimensions yet again for me. I was on patrol at our local beach for the duration of Australia day - from 8am until 6pm.

There's a small local bylaw that prohibits the consumption of alcohol in the public carpark next to the surf club building which was introduced some time ago because some local kids were coming to the car park and getting drunk. Anyway, quite a few back packer style combis backed up to the grass at the edge of the car park. Tents went up, radios came out (JJJ hottest 100), eskies opened, beer being consumed. Everyone's happy, no-one's causing anyone any grief.

About midday the police show up, doing the rounds. They can clearly see the young folks sipping their beer, they can also clearly see that it's all very good natured and nobody's being a wanker. I have a chat to those coppers right next to two surfers sipping a TED each. We talk about the recent drownings in NSW. Then they get in their police car and off they go.

I was down at the beach this morning. Everyone had gone. There were a couple of empty beer bottles left in the dunes, but that was it. Maybe it's different out in the sticks, but I had terrific day at the beach and so did everyone else I saw.

If it sucked like it seems to where some of you live. I'd move.
Actually, the police volunteers explained that NSW does not have that same law but as we were on the Qld side of the border (right next to Tweed) that drinking in public places is prohibited.

http://www.olgr.qld.gov.au/community...ic/index.shtml

"The Liquor Act 1992 bans the drinking of alcohol in a public place. This includes roads, footpaths, parks and beaches but does not include public places where alcohol is consumed at the consent of the owner, such as a BYO restaurant or places covered by a liquor licence or permit."
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:48 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, the police volunteers explained that NSW does not have that same law but as we were on the Qld side of the border (right next to Tweed) that drinking in public places is prohibited.

http://www.olgr.qld.gov.au/community...ic/index.shtml

"The Liquor Act 1992 bans the drinking of alcohol in a public place. This includes roads, footpaths, parks and beaches but does not include public places where alcohol is consumed at the consent of the owner, such as a BYO restaurant or places covered by a liquor licence or permit."
Absolutely, but like I said, the consumption of alcohol is expressly prohibited in that area and yet the police did nothing.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hutch
Absolutely, but like I said, the consumption of alcohol is expressly prohibited in that area and yet the police did nothing.
Wow, the police down there sound much more reasonable. They're not in Qld. Or maybe that's a rural thing? Either way, that's much more my cup of tea, using their discretion and common sense about a situation instead of alienating all and sundry Sounds like very sensible and community minded policing.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:04 am
Australia's Doorman

Wow, the police down there sound much more reasonable. They're not in Qld. Or maybe that's a rural thing? Either way, that's much more my cup of tea, using their discretion and common sense about a situation instead of alienating all and sundry Sounds like very sensible and community minded policing.
I think it's probably a rural thing. The most popular crime round here seems to be outboard motor theft. And with an out-of-season population here of about 2,500, all it usually takes to solve said crimes is a word with a couple of people.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Probably. I know, because I read BE.

Seriously, apart from a Birth Certificate, don't think I've ever really filled in a form in recent years, or not been allowed to do something. Certainly never had to apply for any permit or license. VicRoads - last time I was down was 3 years or so ago....I like that the government protects me from *****wits so I don't mind a bit of it.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought - maybe they make some people fill out forms ad nauseum etc for permits etc to ensure they are literate by the end of it?
Old Jan 31st 2010, 12:26 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

More Nany State-ery here in NSW:

Blanket bans leave novices in the dark - and in danger

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.