Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:55 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Ah, a non-prophet organisation ... understood
It not that I don't respect those with faith.
Even if they think Star Trek is far fetched but believe in an omnipotent entity who built Earth in a few days and his son walked on water and came back from the dead.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:01 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
It not that I don't respect those with faith.
Even if they think Star Trek is far fetched but believe in an omnipotent entity who built Earth in a few days and his son walked on water and came back from the dead.
To say nothing of that Immaculate Conception thing and the Bread and Fishes.

If there is a God then (s)he's a sadistic son of a bitch.

But as you say, no disrespect to the believers despite the needless wars and suffering that their faith brings.

I fear we have drifted off-topic
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:04 am
Account Closed

To say nothing of that Immaculate Conception thing and the Bread and Fishes.

If there is a God then (s)he's a sadistic son of a bitch.

But as you say, no disrespect to the believers despite the needless wars and suffering that their faith brings.

I fear we have drifted off-topic
Don't be silly, when does that ever happen on BE?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:11 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be silly, when does that ever happen on BE?
Almost never ... I like the avatar of Skippy The Bushed Kangaroo, I remember posting that way back ... hold on ...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ushed+kangaroo

Post 3 ... 2007 ... hey, I might not bother to post anything new I'll just refer back ...

<Drifting, drifting>
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:13 am
Account Closed

Almost never ... I like the avatar of Skippy The Bushed Kangaroo, I remember posting that way back ... hold on ...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ushed+kangaroo

Post 3 ... 2007 ... hey, I might not bother to post anything new I'll just refer back ...

<Drifting, drifting>
It sums me up, though I am gutted to find it old hat!!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:18 am
Mostly Harmless

It sums me up, though I am gutted to find it old hat!!
My avatar isn't exactly cutting edge ... I'm so sad I've kept all my old ones ... like a little slice of history so it is ...
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Hell yeah! We were down at the beach near Coolangatta (QLD/NSW border) yesterday to celebrate Australia Day. We were having a picnic, just us and the kids on a grassy area. Police volunteers were going round giving leaflets out and warning people (all families having bbqs/picnics from what I saw) that it's illegal to drink alcohol in public and anyone caught would receive an on the spot fine of $100.

Talk about nanny state!!!! And kill joys to boot. Lame
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Hell yeah! We were down at the beach near Coolangatta (QLD/NSW border) yesterday to celebrate Australia Day. We were having a picnic, just us and the kids on a grassy area. Police volunteers were going round giving leaflets out and warning people (all families having bbqs/picnics from what I saw) that it's illegal to drink alcohol in public and anyone caught would receive an on the spot fine of $100.

I actually agree with that ruling. If ALL the people drinking in public spaces did so without abusing/fighting/throwing bottles/vomiting then there would be no problem. As per usual it's the minority ruining it for the vast majority. You can't have one rule for morons and one rule for non morons unfortunately.

Last year Aus Day was ruined for hundreds of people on Burleigh Beach. This year, Burleigh had their beach back but the morons moved on to Tally Creek and ruined Aus Day for the good people there.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:33 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

dont you think that that was a good move?
the last thing you want on a family day out is people pissed up with all the agro that that involves

ps penny obviously types quicker than me lol
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:23 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>I actually agree with that ruling. If ALL the people drinking in public spaces did so without abusing/fighting/throwing bottles/vomiting then there would be no problem. As per usual it's the minority ruining it for the vast majority. You can't have one rule for morons and one rule for non morons unfortunately.<<

I could not disagree more.

A nanny state is profligate at making rules - and then backing away from enforcing them.

The only people who are inconvenienced by rules such as banning a couple of beers over a picnic lunch are those peasants who don't give a damn about others' feelings - and *they* won't take a blind bit of notice anyway.

By your logic, because some hoons drive through the high street at 80kph, you stop everyone driving. The law-abiding then go by bike - and the hoons carry on as usual.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I actually agree with that ruling. If ALL the people drinking in public spaces did so without abusing/fighting/throwing bottles/vomiting then there would be no problem. As per usual it's the minority ruining it for the vast majority. You can't have one rule for morons and one rule for non morons unfortunately.

Last year Aus Day was ruined for hundreds of people on Burleigh Beach. This year, Burleigh had their beach back but the morons moved on to Tally Creek and ruined Aus Day for the good people there.
Originally Posted by steve`o
dont you think that that was a good move?
the last thing you want on a family day out is people pissed up with all the agro that that involves

ps penny obviously types quicker than me lol
Oh, I understand where they are coming from, of course. They don't want all the bad publicity (and injuries) that comes with further riots on Australia Day. Otherwise why aren't they out patrolling parks etc on the weekends? I just find it ludicrous that because a few ruin it, everyone has to be treated like a child.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:55 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by rekkymech
One of my biggest issues with the UK is the state of the American blame and claim culture that has ruined many of our once great institutions, one of them being our lack of being able to discipline our kids for bad behaviour and the knock on effect this has had in schools, teachers are so afraid of reprisals for the merest hint of a telling off, never mind clipping em round the ear or getting a slipper in front of the whole school like when i was at primary.

At least in Oz the kids wouldn't be kept inside for two weeks because the snowy playground is a "Health and safety" risk lol.

When it was too hot in OZ my kids also had to stay indoors at school...there's a nanny for you

Actually, my kids were allowed to go out at break time when the snow was here (as long as they had wellies on).
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...011340,00.html

Oh, and if you go 3kms over the speed limit (1.86 miles) in VIC - and coming to Qld soon too - you will get a speeding ticket. If that's not complete and utter BS nanny state material, I don't know what is!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:03 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...011340,00.html

Oh, and if you go 3kms over the speed limit (1.86 miles) in VIC - and coming to Qld soon too - you will get a speeding ticket. If that's not complete and utter BS nanny state material, I don't know what is!
Of course it is...you're not allowed to bloody fart without a licence
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Of course it is...you're not allowed to bloody fart without a licence
With your farts that's only fair!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.