Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No local experience? you are going to the database

No local experience? you are going to the database

Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

shuvo27 has a spectacular aura aboutshuvo27 has a spectacular aura aboutshuvo27 has a spectacular aura about
Default No local experience? you are going to the database

On the 14th day of my new life in Sydney I got an offer for a webdeveloper(.net) job.
It has not been easy. I get 2-3 calls from recruitment agents every morning. I have got such an illustrious career with experience of working with clients from USA,UK, Scandenevia, but none of the agents put me forward for an interview for one damn reason, I don't have any aussie experience. I can't understand where USA or UK is lagging behind in what aspect that my 5 and half years experience doesn't mean anything to them.People from subcontinent are like Hot Cakes in USA IT industry, which is the mother of IT. After talking with me for 10-20 minutes all the agents told me the same thing, we will put you in Database and call you back, that's it.

The funny thing is I scored 93% in the C#.net test arranged by IKM which is widely used for companies for recruitment and my score is in the top 7%. Still I remain unemployed. Luckily I applied for a job, which was not through any agent but a direct company post, I was called for an Interview and that's it, I am in. Just one damn interview, yea that's how you should judge people, test him, what he knows. Don't judge him by whether he worked in Dhaka or Bangalore or Karachi...

My advice for newcomers, look for job posts from companies, not the agents..
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No local experience? you are going to the database

If you search job agents on here you will find they are considered pretty poor.

Good luck with your new job!
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shuvo27
On the 14th day of my new life in Sydney I got an offer for a webdeveloper(.net) job.
It has not been easy. I get 2-3 calls from recruitment agents every morning. I have got such an illustrious career with experience of working with clients from USA,UK, Scandenevia, but none of the agents put me forward for an interview for one damn reason, I don't have any aussie experience. I can't understand where USA or UK is lagging behind in what aspect that my 5 and half years experience doesn't mean anything to them.People from subcontinent are like Hot Cakes in USA IT industry, which is the mother of IT. After talking with me for 10-20 minutes all the agents told me the same thing, we will put you in Database and call you back, that's it.

The funny thing is I scored 93% in the C#.net test arranged by IKM which is widely used for companies for recruitment and my score is in the top 7%. Still I remain unemployed. Luckily I applied for a job, which was not through any agent but a direct company post, I was called for an Interview and that's it, I am in. Just one damn interview, yea that's how you should judge people, test him, what he knows. Don't judge him by whether he worked in Dhaka or Bangalore or Karachi...

Your English is not that great - that could be the problem.

Good luck.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

shuvo27 has a spectacular aura aboutshuvo27 has a spectacular aura aboutshuvo27 has a spectacular aura about

Hey amazulu, do you expect me to write corporate/executive english in forums? Almost all the agents told me that my communication skill is very good and thats a big plus point for me...but local experience is a big issue here...
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hey amazulu, do you expect me to write corporate/executive english in forums? Almost all the agents told me that my communication skill is very good and thats a big plus point for me
Fair enough.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

You are pretty Naive .... but I will give you some pointers.

"No Local Experience" is just a polite way of saying we are not really impressed by your overseas qualifications or experience we have seen too many turkeys already.

Also beware that in Australia any qualifications and Experience is only a fractional part of securing a job... the hiring manager is also looking for attitude and harmony. If you act and talk like a muppet your chances are greatly reduced.

Congratulations all the same on your offer you did pretty well to get that... just don't go around quoting all those figures and percentages or people will think you are just an arrogant tool.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

so that means all those US and European companies that the immigrants worked for, came from Amazone? We are good enough to work for them but not for aussie companies?
And how can you judge a person's attitude by talking to him on phone for a few minutes. And who talks with a bad attitude with an agent if he is looking for a job?

Ok, you consider me arrogant, but what about thousands of others who are suffering the same way. I don't feel that actual companies are at fault here, its the agents who are afraid that if they forward a newcomer and he cracks at the interview then their image might be harmed. So they play safe and look for people with local experience and because of that attitude, newcomers suffer.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:58 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

I agree to go straight to the company instead of through recruitment agents for all the reasons you mention.

Good luck in your new job mate
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

so that means all those US and European companies that the immigrants worked for, came from Amazone? We are good enough to work for them but not for aussie companies?
And how can you judge a person's attitude by talking to him on phone for a few minutes. And who talks with a bad attitude with an agent if he is looking for a job?

Ok, you consider me arrogant, but what about thousands of others who are suffering the same way. I don't feel that actual companies are at fault here, its the agents who are afraid that if they forward a newcomer and he cracks at the interview then their image might be harmed. So they play safe and look for people with local experience and because of that attitude, newcomers suffer.
Many many companies have been burnt in the past... if this was not the case then you would not have an issue to complain about it, its a fact of life for new immigrant... Pour yourself a large glass of harden the f*** up.

I didn't consider you arrogant at all, but to quote figures like that... you can understand how you could be viewed as arrogant.

Don't be fooled by think only agents are refusing because of Local experience.... this is often the directive of the companies themselves, agents just follow the instructions of their clients.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

The agents will only put you forward based on the companies specification of the employee they are looking for. If you don't meet the criteria then forget it as they are paid commision on each candidate that gets hired.

Personally I find them a waste of time and approaching a company directly is the best way of securing an interview.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

@ man_C_horse: I just quoted the figures to prove that new immigrants do have the technical knowledge to operate in this industry, not to booster my personal image.

If companies are really asking for local experience as you say, then why is this hue and cry about immigration policy and the politics and call for only bringing in skilled people, which the industries are dying for. What has skill to do with local experience. The whole skilled visa thing should be abolished if you are correct or maybe you could export some "Local Experience" abroad so that we could bring it with us.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 7:03 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

@ man_C_horse: I just quoted the figures to prove that new immigrants do have the technical knowledge to operate in this industry, not to booster my personal image.

If companies are really asking for local experience as you say, then why is this hue and cry about immigration policy and the politics and call for only bringing in skilled people, which the industries are dying for. What has skill to do with local experience. The whole skilled visa thing should be abolished if you are correct or maybe you could export some "Local Experience" abroad so that we could bring it with us.
Mate this is normal practice in Australia and it doesnt matter who you are or how qualified you are, the Aussies always want local experience as this is more important to them. No point getting upset about it, it's tough and it's how it is mate....
Old Aug 6th 2010, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Even having Australian experience isnt enough. Some wanT you to have state based experience. I was once refused a job in South Australia cause I didnt have experience there, despite working many years in NSW.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

living_legend is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey amazulu, do you expect me to write corporate/executive english in forums? Almost all the agents told me that my communication skill is very good and thats a big plus point for me...but local experience is a big issue here...
Well, I also heard abou the local experience thing from my friends! Its very hard to get into the 1st job it seems Good luck dude!
Old Aug 6th 2010, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

living_legend is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
You are pretty Naive .... but I will give you some pointers.

"No Local Experience" is just a polite way of saying we are not really impressed by your overseas qualifications or experience we have seen too many turkeys already.

Also beware that in Australia any qualifications and Experience is only a fractional part of securing a job... the hiring manager is also looking for attitude and harmony. If you act and talk like a muppet your chances are greatly reduced.

Congratulations all the same on your offer you did pretty well to get that... just don't go around quoting all those figures and percentages or people will think you are just an arrogant tool.
In any country, recruters will look for the altitudes of people before hiring them! Therefore it is must to have these soft skills prior!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.