Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Feb 27th 2007, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
Hi, sorry my children do not go to The Peninsular school or Toorak which quote $14 595 as yearly school fees. I understand that if they sit an entrance scholarship exam then the fees are reduced by 50%. I must admit the shools have excellent results but I am afraid that these fees are too much for us to send both kids to private school. We are lucky that both children are doing well in state schools so are happy for them to go to Government co-ed. We could send them to private schools but then that would take away the purpose of us coming to Oz which was to have more family time and reduce the stress of work, both having to have high paid full time stressful jobs. We have not moved over yet but hope to by the end of this year. My family are in Melbourne and my cousin lives in Mornington. We hope to live in Mount Eliza. I have looked at Mount Eliza secondary and my Aunt has recommended Frankston High which has a great reputation. I hope to obtain a job in the CBD and went for casual chats last year (I am Chartered Surveyor and there are a couple of UK companies with offices in Melbourne), my husband hope's to get a part time local based job so he can spend more time with the children ( ex army so he has spent too much time away from them ). Do your children go to one of these schools?
Our boys go to The Peninsula School, apart from the eldest whos already at uni. Actually the fees are $14000 + a year, + laptop, + school uniform, + school trips, + books etc, etc, etc But the school is excellent and they have settled really well and getting on fantastically. Uni entrance in Melbourne is quite competative apparently and all ours want to go so we figured it was worth the expense. Frankston High is a nice school, but the catchment area is a bit limiting!!! We looked at Mount Eliza Secondary but weren't that impressed, maybe we got them on a bad day, but compared to the state schools ours attended in the UK the boys were not impressed, (even the elder of the two whos now 17 and swore he'd never go to one of those snobby prep schools.) Loved Peninsula from day 1!

Getting the schooling right was one of my main worries as ours had always liked and done well at school in the UK. Its costing us big time but we're glad with the choice we made.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:29 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

Interesting article about Real Estate in Melbourne - the next 12 months looks like a good time to buy property:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-25658,00.html
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

We've been looking at Williamstown, but also the surrounding areas of Newport, Altona and Spotswood can anyone tell me what they are like. I know Williamstown is meant to be lovely, although fairly expensive.

Dolly
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dianej
Interesting article about Real Estate in Melbourne - the next 12 months looks like a good time to buy property:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-25658,00.html
sshhhhh, I don't want the prices in Melbourne to go mad like they did in Perth
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:12 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought i'd say hi.

We've lived here on the S/E fringes (near Berwick) for 3 and 1/2 years now (jesus, thats gone quick!) and really love the area we live in.

The past year has been tough on a personal level and it has certainly made me realise that the "its only a 24 hour flight away" or "you can always nip back" comments are, in our case, totally unrealistic. Its a LONG EXPENSIVE way away and nothing prepared me for that.

This said things are settling back down now and i'm back at peace again now and if anyone needs any specifics on this area don't hesitate to PM me and i'll help if i can.

Re Frankston? Yeah it has a reputation for sure, as does Dandenong and Cranbourne, but i know people who live in all of them and they don't get robbed or approached in the street for drugs on a daily basis or anything!
Glen Waverly is ok, though doesn't do it for me as its just too suburban, but again, depends what you are looking for.

To the person asking about hospitals and beaches. The Monash is the biggest hospital this side of the city and is about 10k's from Mordialloc (bayside) Don't know if thats the kind of thing you ment or not?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:36 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bordy
And just round the corner from where they film neighbours. Maybe Mags can get a part
yes that's the reason i choose this area, i can really see me larking around a pool in a bikini
Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Womat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really nice

REIV new guidelines - rental bidding banned:-

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...9-2862,00.html
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:40 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

bump
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:53 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Reading some of these posts, I see that people often seem to be looking at suburbs out on the the fringes - ie...quite a commute if you are looking at working in or near the city.

Don't forget that there are some fab suburbs much nearer (we live in one of them...Elsternwick) there is also Caulfield, Hawthorn, Kew, Richmond, South Yarra, Prahran, Elwood, Bentleigh and Carnegie - as well as just to the north of the city - Fitzroy, Essendon, Carlton, Coburg etc.

Places like Point Cook might be alright for people with kids <<<cough>>>
but pretty dismal for those who don't (pretty dismal for those who do in my opinion) - so research places throughly.

If you want some info on the places I've highlighted - then give myself or shakmaty a shout.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:43 am
Newbie!

Spikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CasG
Reading some of these posts, I see that people often seem to be looking at suburbs out on the the fringes - ie...quite a commute if you are looking at working in or near the city.

Don't forget that there are some fab suburbs much nearer (we live in one of them...Elsternwick) there is also Caulfield, Hawthorn, Kew, Richmond, South Yarra, Prahran, Elwood, Bentleigh and Carnegie - as well as just to the north of the city - Fitzroy, Essendon, Carlton, Coburg etc.

Places like Point Cook might be alright for people with kids <<<cough>>>
but pretty dismal for those who don't (pretty dismal for those who do in my opinion) - so research places throughly.

If you want some info on the places I've highlighted - then give myself or shakmaty a shout.
Those areas are nice but housing is so much more expensive there! My OH has a long commute but we've chosen to live in Rowville which many consider too far out because you get so much more house for your money. In some ways I'd love to live closer in as I love the cbd area but we have 2 young children and I don't want to live in a tiny house with no garden (which is what we'd end up in, my H has over the average income for Melbourne but would still mean an enormous mortgage) just to cut 30 mins off (his - evil laugh) commute. At off peak times when we take the kids in it's only a 30 min drive.

I think more people will end up living in the outer suburbs, unless you've come with a huge amount of equity from the UK how on earth will you afford to live more centrally with wages being so comparatively low here than they are in the UK.

Last edited by Spikey; Mar 22nd 2007 at 1:46 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:06 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

I agree with Spikey in the fact that more people will move further away from the CBD to be able to afford a better house. We live in Pakenham and have purchased our own home and chose to move here because of that reason. Hubby works in the city and doesn't mind the commute and we have a better lifestyle because of that. After all that's why Metlink have just abolished zone 3 because they realise that the burbs are moving further away from the city and to try and get people to use it more.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

Tearose will become famous soon enoughTearose will become famous soon enough

Just wanted to say that i'm on my way looking at July time, cant wait
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:00 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
I agree with Spikey in the fact that more people will move further away from the CBD to be able to afford a better house. We live in Pakenham and have purchased our own home and chose to move here because of that reason. Hubby works in the city and doesn't mind the commute and we have a better lifestyle because of that. After all that's why Metlink have just abolished zone 3 because they realise that the burbs are moving further away from the city and to try and get people to use it more.
Good point. The Monash is shocking at peak hours now!

Spikey we live 10 mins from Rowville and its where we started out as my cousin lives there
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dolly
We've been looking at Williamstown, but also the surrounding areas of Newport, Altona and Spotswood can anyone tell me what they are like. I know Williamstown is meant to be lovely, although fairly expensive.

Dolly
We are thinking same sort of areas, as I will be working in Derrimut and OH in CBD. Hoping to get Visa in June /July.... meds requested and booked for next month.

Would be nice to hear some opinions on these places.......

Pete
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:45 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to Mornington Peninsula area as soon as our house is sold.

D D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.