Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Apr 17th 2008, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
You may just be able to afford Thornbury @ those prices, I wouldnt move out to Doreen or Epping or Whittlesea if I were you, as the schools up that way are not the best. The public schools in Northcote are great as they compete directly with private schools and produce good results. (we send our kids to Northcote for that very reason). Reservoir is a fairly good suburb value wise, but the schools are crap, and you may get caught up with school boundary issues, as the schools towards the city become more popular. Ethnic divisions rear their ugly head as you move directly North from Preston & Coburg outwards. Whereas south towards the City Gentrification is moving along at a great rate, Preston is doing really well in the Gentrification stakes at present, in fact It's blitzing Coburg, much to my chagrin, so if you can afford to buy there, you will see real capitol growth, unless the world market totally collapses. Fantastic shopping, transport. infrastructure and restaurants in these areas. Far more choice for enjoying yourself socially than compared to further out.

Preston/Coburg/Heidelberg and anything South of this region towards the city are very much on a upward trend socially and value wise.

Tip, even in this topsy turvey housing market, if anywhere will double in value in the next 5 years it will be Thornbury.
Thanks for the info on the schools - where do you get your information from? Is there a website that provides performance stats, etc?
Old Apr 17th 2008, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oz Rascal
Thanks for the info on the schools - where do you get your information from? Is there a website that provides performance stats, etc?
Ahhh there was one issued by the Herald sun a while back, but it's personal knowledge as well, as I've lived in this area since 1980. Funny thing is I notice you live in Aston Martin country, Basically I left the UK from a MK postcode

Most of the schools in the innersuburbs set their measure by the private schools around them. The public housing belt starts further out in Melbourne, at around Reservoir and Broadmeadows and Heidelberg West, whereas south of these areas there is hardly any public housing for families. Mostly just a very few blocks of Housing comission flats that make up a very small percentage of the population. This is where Melbourne is very different to the UK. The problems that come with Public housing are more in the outer areas.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 17th 2008 at 6:59 am.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:04 am
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Blackburn, is not far from me in glen waverley, i agree they are expensive areas, i keep a close eye on house prices in glen waverley and around, although still expensive, they do seem to have dropped a bit, probably due to the high interest rates and peeps wanting to sell, but heres hoping

Heres hoping you're right Margaret.
Thanks for that
Irish Gal
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

Ahhh there was one issued by the Herald sun a while back, but it's personal knowledge as well, as I've lived in this area since 1980. Funny thing is I notice you live in Aston Martin country, Basically I left the UK from a MK postcode

Most of the schools in the innersuburbs set their measure by the private schools around them. The public housing belt starts further out in Melbourne, at around Reservoir and Broadmeadows and Heidelberg West, whereas south of these areas there is hardly any public housing for families. Mostly just a very few blocks of Housing comission flats that make up a very small percentage of the population. This is where Melbourne is very different to the UK. The problems that come with Public housing are more in the outer areas.
Ha, how strange - small world isn't it! Yes, it was a sad day when they closed the doors to Aston Martin - set to become a housing development now Provides happy memories for me, as a child, we used to live in Lagonda Close which used to back on to the production car park - I can still remember being about 4 years old and having all the local kids pile into our bedroom upstairs to watch Prince Charles land in his helicopter to pick up his new car - nice if you can get it. Actually, my brother in law works in the AM warehouse in Wolverton - I've heard stories of silver door kick plates that have "hand made for George Clooney" enscribed on them.

Can I probe you a bit more for the school info? As I say, we're looking at Doreen, mainly because my dad lives there and the area sounds nice, good houses at good prices, etc. and commutable to CBD (where I expect to find work). We certainly want the north east area (eg. Eltham, Diamond Creek, etc.) Would be great to get your opinion - thanks in advance.

Where did you live in MK then? What took you over to Aus? My Dad moved over there in about 1985.

Cheers,

Colin
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Ha, how strange - small world isn't it! Yes, it was a sad day when they closed the doors to Aston Martin - set to become a housing development now Provides happy memories for me, as a child, we used to live in Lagonda Close which used to back on to the production car park - I can still remember being about 4 years old and having all the local kids pile into our bedroom upstairs to watch Prince Charles land in his helicopter to pick up his new car - nice if you can get it. Actually, my brother in law works in the AM warehouse in Wolverton - I've heard stories of silver door kick plates that have "hand made for George Clooney" enscribed on them.

Can I probe you a bit more for the school info? As I say, we're looking at Doreen, mainly because my dad lives there and the area sounds nice, good houses at good prices, etc. and commutable to CBD (where I expect to find work). We certainly want the north east area (eg. Eltham, Diamond Creek, etc.) Would be great to get your opinion - thanks in advance.

Where did you live in MK then? What took you over to Aus? My Dad moved over there in about 1985.

Cheers,

Colin
Stony Stratford, when my family first moved up there, my father got a job with the MKDC, circa 1976, I was out of there and back to London asap, I used to commute from Wolverton to London EC1 everyday.

Ok back to topic, I would look towards Eltham and Diamond Creek if I were you, all I know about the schools up around Doreen and Epping is they have a very strong ethnic slant. I will quiz some people at work tonight (I work night shift) as to the decent schools around Doreen and Epping and Whittlesea.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Stony Stratford, when my family first moved up there, my father got a job with the MKDC, circa 1976, I was out of there and back to London asap, I used to commute from Wolverton to London EC1 everyday.
I actually work at Warren Farm which is in between Stony and Wolverton.

Ok back to topic, I would look towards Eltham and Diamond Creek if I were you, all I know about the schools up around Doreen and Epping is they have a very strong ethnic slant. I will quiz some people at work tonight (I work night shift) as to the decent schools around Doreen and Epping and Whittlesea.
Thanks, getting a bit more information on the schools would be great. Appreciate your help.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Kookypie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MillsyandtheTroop
Hi Kookpie

I'm a nurse and accepted a job in Jan at RCH melbourne on the NICU! Hoping to be out there asap. Just need to sell/rent house first! We also considered sydney - I applied for my registration there. Until we visited Melbourne and I got my job! Sydney is beautiful but I know what you mean about Melbourne - it just has something I cant put my finger on. We loved it when we were there!

Which area are you working in? RCH and RMH and next door aren't they from what I remember!

Ange x
Hi Ange,

Have just accepted a post on the adult ITU. It will be a challenge as they seem to have every speciality that i'm not familiar with! Neuro, trauma, cardiology and burns, and they do Ecmo! On big people! Eek!

Am just waiting to hear back from the hospitals immi officer to start my 457 application...have heard that the nurses board can be a bit slow in processing your registration too.

We also have a house to sell, spending my days off decorating and getting it spruced up...if all goes to plan we are hoping to arrive the end of September.

Where are you planning to live?

Have never been so scared/excited!

Keep in touch, let me know how you get on?

Kelly
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

milliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond repute

You may just be able to afford Thornbury @ those prices, I wouldnt move out to Doreen or Epping or Whittlesea if I were you, as the schools up that way are not the best. The public schools in Northcote are great as they compete directly with private schools and produce good results. (we send our kids to Northcote for that very reason). Reservoir is a fairly good suburb value wise, but the schools are crap, and you may get caught up with school boundary issues, as the schools towards the city become more popular. Ethnic divisions rear their ugly head as you move directly North from Preston & Coburg outwards. Whereas south towards the City Gentrification is moving along at a great rate, Preston is doing really well in the Gentrification stakes at present, in fact It's blitzing Coburg, much to my chagrin, so if you can afford to buy there, you will see real capitol growth, unless the world market totally collapses. Fantastic shopping, transport. infrastructure and restaurants in these areas. Far more choice for enjoying yourself socially than compared to further out.

Preston/Coburg/Heidelberg and anything South of this region towards the city are very much on a upward trend socially and value wise.

Tip, even in this topsy turvey housing market, if anywhere will double in value in the next 5 years it will be Thornbury.
Thanks a lot for this - very helpful
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by milliewoos
Thanks a lot for this - very helpful
I asked at work last night about the Schools around Doreen. Apparently there are only 3 Public school choices, Whittlesea High, Mill Park High, and Epping High. Epping High, which would be the main one is full of Ethnic Gang problems. Mill park Similar but to a lesser extent, Whittlesea is a smaller school more country orientated, with a not very high academic rating, plus as Melbourne moves out towards Whittlesea, the people that cannot afford to buy closer in are making up a greater percentage of the population... IE overspill = to future problems. Private maybe Catholic school choices maybe the go for people that want a higher outcome for their kids that live in this area. Or straight out private, which is damn expensive, personally I'd rather put the school fees towards a mortgage and reap the benefits of far higher capitol growth and find a inner city school that performs as well as some of the privates.

4 main choices of higher performing state schools in the North. University High Parkville, performs as well as any private school in Melbourne, problem with that is it's heavily zoned and you wont get in, unless you buy a 1,000,000 buck property. Princes Hill Carlton (note... very very left wing intellectual though, lawyers and muscian types, but very high performing, possibly the most political orientated school in Melbourne, lots of labour politicans and trade union leaders come from this school) again zoned, but you may get in on performance and tests. Northcote High, again zoned, with entrance exams for higher performing kids (ours got in on musical ability) and Brunswick High, which has moved up the performance stakes, as Brunswick became gentrified. If one is prepared to move further east, to Diamond valley and Eltham, the Ethnic divisions become far less of an issue in the outer suburbs.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 18th 2008 at 5:30 am.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzieagle,

Thanks for the info, I'm guessing Eltham / D.Creek will go to St Helena?? Is this as good a school as I hear? Plenty of time for us on high schools as the kids are only 4 and 2. Geat to get the info, much appreciated.

Colin
Old Apr 18th 2008, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzieagle,

Thanks for the info, I'm guessing Eltham / D.Creek will go to St Helena?? Is this as good a school as I hear? Plenty of time for us on high schools as the kids are only 4 and 2. Geat to get the info, much appreciated.

Colin

Yes St Helena as far as I know is fine. It's pretty sad that I had to mention the Ethnic problems here, which seem to manifest at their worst in schools. The areas to live in are fine for the most part, seems that teenage boys just have to gang up.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:48 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
So you're coming to Melbourne now despite all your earlier misgivings! Better tell Kapri as I think your reccie put her off!

Might be able to help you with a rental if you can hang on until August 1.

Buzzy
SShhh Lee will get cross.

We're heading back to mel now anyway

Twas just a moment of doubt.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 9:09 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri

Excellent.

You have made a positive life-changing decision.

Now hurry up and get here

Buzzy
Old Apr 18th 2008, 10:02 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Excellent.

You have made a positive life-changing decision.

Now hurry up and get here

Buzzy
I think there are enough mods in Queensland - we need to redress the balance
Old Apr 18th 2008, 10:58 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri

oi woman i dont do crossed

just ever so slightly mixed up

lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.