Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Let's have a ''Top Tips'' thread..

Let's have a ''Top Tips'' thread..

Old Aug 25th 2004, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice
Default Re: Let's have a ''Top Tips'' thread..

hi guys

Very funny thread...keep it going!

Bindi, you must have been in the UK for long enough to realise that this is part of the UK sense of humour...we take the p*ss out of things...doesn't mean we hate it all (well not always anyway!) it's just our way.

FWIW I'm loving it in Australia, I was born here but spent most of my life in Yorkshire so I'm very confused (it doesn't take much believe me!!) but I can soooo relate to many of the things said here.

Just take it with a pinch of salt and enjoy it. And if you want a laugh at how the aussies see the english check out:

www.thisisparramatta.com/ozinengland2/

Lighten up peeps!!

love sophia xxx

ps. spend your weekends driving up the motorways behind a 1.0car pulling a caravan to get a feel for the speed of the traffic on the freeways here!
Old Aug 25th 2004, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jayr
Save all those scraps of soap left over to make one new one. Cheap and colourful too!
And, according to the Aussies, the soap makes a great place for us brits to hide our money under as well!
Old Aug 25th 2004, 4:17 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sophia]hi guys

Very funny thread...keep it going!

Bindi, you must have been in the UK for long enough to realise that this is part of the UK sense of humour...we take the p*ss out of things...doesn't mean we hate it all (well not always anyway!) it's just our way.

QUOTE]

Well said Sophia

It is also worth noting that most of the posts on this thread are from expats living quite happily in Australia.

My tip: Remember Australians take any micky-taking very personally

G
Old Aug 25th 2004, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Ask your postman if he would mind screwing up all the mail and dropping it on the ground somewhere near you front gate, to get you used to the idea of not having a letter box (and to get you used to the state your mail will arrive in)

remember also that your mail will either be sunbleached, or dripping wet, and often stuffed in a box that makes a bonzer home for redbacks and other such spiders who have ready access to a supurb food source (your hand)!
Old Aug 25th 2004, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

bindi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sophia

Hi Sophia,

Yep I've definitely been here long enough to get the p*ss take sense of humour... and I have an English mum (Northern too!) so I was brought up with it! I have actually been laughing at most of the replies!!!

We have less than 10 weeks til we arrive there and we're really feeling the pressure now! I was trying to get a few serious suggestions back in the thread, but at the same time chuck in a subtle attempt at sarcasm... English people think moving to England is a piece of cake... it can be bl**dy hard at times!!!

Anyway, despite all the full-on ups and downs of moving around the world to whatever 'foreign' country you choose, you do come out laughing at the other end!

Glad you are enjoying Oz, I can't wait to get home and rediscover it for myself (good and bad bits!).. so I'm off to sit in the refrigerator section of my local Tesco so that I remember what it's like to work in air-conditioning!!!

Cheers mate,
bindi
Old Aug 25th 2004, 4:46 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Continuing on a thread I am pissing myself at.......

When Aussies ask after two years here....and it is peeing down and very cold

AUS/UK

You must be used to IT?.....nope mate I had central heating!

Central HeatING?....yes radiators and double glazing?

Must of worn a lot of LAYERS THEN?.....nope T shirt and jog bottoms to walk about the whole house not just a single room.

Stewth Mate you must have had MONEY?.......Nope mate just central heating and double glazing.

.......etc etc

I love this thread I have never laughed so much.....I would pack my bags and go home if I wasn't enjoying myself here as well!!!

Cheers Sandra
Old Aug 25th 2004, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

sumpti is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I have nothing to add in the way of tips, but can I just say that you guys have seriously brightened my s*** day and I thank you all sincerely........I needed cheering up and you have certainly done that .......
'Beaut'.......'Heaps'........'Good onya'
Old Aug 25th 2004, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

neil&momo is on a distinguished road

This is a brill thread, keep the tips coming guys.
For people like us waiting to get to Oz it's fantastic. It's sooooo funny reading all your silly tips
Marie
Old Aug 25th 2004, 6:30 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil&momo
This is a brill thread, keep the tips coming guys.
For people like us waiting to get to Oz it's fantastic. It's sooooo funny reading all your silly tips
Marie

Silly Tips? Silly Tips?

I was just getting myself sorted reading this excellent advise...two years in and someone is giving me the advise I needed 24 months ago.............!

PS.....When in AUS on beaches without people on ....it is not a blessing...there is a reason ASK!

Cheers
Old Aug 25th 2004, 8:04 pm
Bite my shiny metal ass!

treefrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bindi
4) Get used to being called 'convict' at some stage by EVERYBODY and watching them giggle incessantly.
Of course, real Aussies know that it is impossible for all Australians to be descended from the convicts. No, most people are descended from the screws!
Old Aug 25th 2004, 8:09 pm
Banned

Diprotodon is an unknown quantity at this point

A STARTER FOR TEN?

Old Aug 25th 2004, 8:23 pm
Bite my shiny metal ass!

treefrog is an unknown quantity at this point

QUOTE]
My tip: Remember Australians take any micky-taking very personally
G[/QUOTE]

I found especially that jokes like "What's the difference between Australia and yoghurt? A: Yoghourt has a culture of its own" and "What do you call a flea in an Aussie's head? A: A space invader" tended not to go down well.

But I enjoyed "Did you hear about the guy who fell through a screen door? He strained himself!"

I could tell some others but this is a family site!
Old Aug 25th 2004, 8:54 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Divorcees hire a hitman to finish off your ex so your kids can get Oz visas hassle free.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 9:00 pm
Banned

mutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nice

Banned from BE?

Invent a suitable pseudonym and lie low until the forum becomes boring enough for a heroic return.

Old Aug 25th 2004, 9:12 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HUP
Think long and hard before commiting to a username on the forum. Saves begging and cajouling to the mods later . Remember a username is not just for Christmas!!!

maybe it describes him better..... round with a little prick

love boomie
xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.