Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Let's have a ''Top Tips'' thread..

Let's have a ''Top Tips'' thread..

Old Aug 27th 2004, 7:43 am
Badge

Default Re: Let's have a ''Top Tips'' thread..

[QUOTE=MikeStanton]Badge, are you on drugs again? QUOTE]

Bit harsh..

Indeed Mike. it is a very simple ready reckoner to work out some kind of personal yardstick better than 3-1. Of course there are other factors. This is a forum - I wouldn't presume to tell people a whole swag of myriad details....hey I do all my own tax in Excel macros

You are right, many people (especially from the SE of England and London) will achieve figures of less than 1. That is why I gave my banker example and you should take note of the caution in my tone...certainly no where did I say that everyone was going to acheive 1+..I am one of the lucky few where my Australian salary is better than my UK. And my housing burden cost is signficantly lower..so the higher taxes I can live with.

(jeez...)

Last edited by Badge; Aug 27th 2004 at 7:48 am.

Old Aug 27th 2004, 7:44 am
Badge

Could you please correct my spelling. I can't be bothered. Just quote me your hourly rate me old mucker..

Old Aug 27th 2004, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

speed up the visa application process by changing your name to Dmitri Krapalovalenko or Tatiana Pavlova and tell DIMIA you are a top athlete who can win gold medals for Australia at the Olympics
Old Aug 27th 2004, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
Could you please correct my spelling. I can't be bothered. Just quote me your hourly rate me old mucker..
Your Oz salary wouldn't cover it...
Old Aug 27th 2004, 7:50 am
Badge

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Your Oz salary wouldn't cover it...
Very, very predictable. I don't know...still goes a fair way(!) I still have UK cash reserves in any case.

Old Aug 27th 2004, 8:35 am
owieb

Originally Posted by Badge
BIGGEST TIP OF ALL

you shouldn't be dividing by 2.5 anyhow...unless you are spending GBP from an UK account....

take your Aussie income and divide by UK income....this is the approx ratio you should be using...if it is negative, or less than 1, then you should never have migrated. If it is higher than 1(like mine) you did well to come to Straya..

(How good am I?) Do I get an OBE now?

BM
Better still, don't convert!

You earn in dollars you spend in dollars, it's irrelevant what it is in pounds!

Old Aug 27th 2004, 8:42 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owieb
Better still, don't convert!

You earn in dollars you spend in dollars, it's irrelevant what it is in pounds!

Indeed, but until you know the price of everything you keep doing it. I like Badge's idea, which is not based on exchange rate, in my case the factor is still 2.5.

I probably know the price of many things and if anything have forgotten UK prices - just how much does a pint of milk cost? I'd guess 35p.

Anyway, need to get back on topic and see if I can come up with more top tips, back in a mo....
Old Aug 27th 2004, 8:49 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

When in the UK trap yourself a wild Badger (not you Badge ).

Keep it in a cage for a while and prod it with a stick to get it really annoyed and then let your children play with it.

This will prepare you and them for what to do in case they try and 'cuddle' a real wild Koala instead of those in a 'petting' Zoo. :scared:

G
Old Aug 27th 2004, 8:55 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Practice for those long, balmy QLD summer nights by wearing a blindfold at 7pm to simulate darkness, put on jeans and a long top and cover yourself in Aeroguard, light a citronella candle and enjoy.

[actaully mossies don't bother me so none of this applies to me pesonally]

Prepare for your first Australian Christmas by cooking a full UK version Christmas dinner in the height of the UK summer (and pretend its 12C warmer still)

Prepare you beer carrying arm by learning how to open you car door whilst balancing a case of 24 beers on your shoulder before you come.

Get ready for going to work in the QLD summer by having a wet shirt ready to change into as soon as you leave your front door.

Prepare for the friendliness of Aussies by talking to random people at bus stops, in the street, in the shops, preferably whilst with no footwear. See how these UK strangers smile (and move away from you hurriedly).

Demonstrate your Britishness on arrival by being the only one not wearing a hat and not sheltering from the sun.

Prove you've really settled by having a tan line that stops at sock height with amsuing 'white skin socks' below. Even better, your tan line should also end at your knees.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 8:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Purchase a piece of very fine netting and keep it next to your front door. Whenever someone visits, hold the netting in front of your face when talking to them. This will get you accustomed to the strange habit of talking to people through the flyscreen door, which they are scared to open in case insects get in.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 10:32 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Return of the animal theme.....

Get used to snakes by cutting the legs off a dachund.
Get used to BBQing sausages by cutting the legs off a dachund.
Dip sparrows into pots of yellow and green paint.
Put clothes pegs either end of a hamster and you've got yourself a baby platypus

Get a ferry from Birkenhead to Liverpool - yes, you really could be sailing in to Sydney Harbour....

Last edited by carolinegorka; Aug 27th 2004 at 10:36 am.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 10:47 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jayr

Prepare you beer carrying arm by learning how to open you car door whilst balancing a case of 24 beers on your shoulder before you come.
Jayr you have some weird issues.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 10:56 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Prepare for listening to the radio by playing Inxs, Men At Work and Delta Goodrun? constantly day in day out. Then for a change throw in a bit of Cold Chisel but it has to be profesionally mixed with a Chubby Brown tape to give the correct voice over sounds.

If you work in construction practice packing all your tools away in the quickest possible time. Do this over and over again for when your working on site and the WH&S bloke turns up to check your tags.
A good alternative is to buy a clip board and drive up to a large construction site wearing a shirt & tie climb out of your car and don a hard hat just to watch the other blokes packing their gear up super fast

Practice for driving here by placing a sticker on the rear of your car saying "stop me if you dare pig bastards" that way you'll become accustomed to the random RBT's quickly

Practice for being on "tank water" by timing your kids in the shower and berating them if they take longer than 2 mins despite the fact they may have hair down to their bum. [remember I live with my folks]
Old Aug 27th 2004, 10:58 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bondipom
Jayr you have some weird issues.
Beware the placid exterior - man on the edge.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 11:00 am

gedge has disabled reputation

When walking in the park, don't pick up any interesting looking 'sticks'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.