Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interest rates have gone up again

Interest rates have gone up again

Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interest rates have gone up again

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
SWEET! 1 AUD currently buys you around 0.46 GBP.

Keep spending Australia.

On ya Howard.
Just in time for my UK break - and with the Aussie dollar almost parity with the US my binge in California will be cheap too.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Maybe, maybe not. Prudent financial planning would have involved factoring in potential rate rises when assessing affordability for a mortgage.

I'm not entirely sure that I have a great deal of sympathy for people that have mortgaged themselves to the maximum of their current ability to pay and then complain when the rates rise. This is how the American subprime debacle has started - people borrowing far more than they can realistically afford to repay.

S
I would agree with you entirely on people borrowing up to thier limits but you have to remember that for most new house buyers it is probably the only way to get on the ladder unless you want to live 100 ks from anywhere . I did think of a few places i could mention but as you know someone was bound to live there
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:43 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Just in time for my UK break - and with the Aussie dollar almost parity with the US my binge in California will be cheap too.
Cool, are you off to the states? I'm toying with the idea of going back to the UK via the US and catching up with friends and family in Chicago and New York.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

If you can't afford a mortgage in Austarlia I suggest you go to uni and get a degree in engineering. Forget the fluffy degrees you can now get in a cereal packet such as teaching, Human Resources and law. Add some real value to a business and you will be handsomely rewarded.

Or

Give up the booze, ciggies & take away and you'll have heaps of mulla.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Cool, are you off to the states? I'm toying with the idea of going back to the UK via the US and catching up with friends and family in Chicago and New York.
Are you trying to incite dangerous levels of jealousy on this thread?!!!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:20 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

...Give up the booze, ciggies & take away and you'll have heaps of mulla.
Strewth man...!

One has to have something to live for...!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:23 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DrWho
Strewth man...!

One has to have something to live for...!
Aye, you probably wouldn't live longer, it would just feel like it ...
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Maybe, maybe not. Prudent financial planning would have involved factoring in potential rate rises when assessing affordability for a mortgage.

I'm not entirely sure that I have a great deal of sympathy for people that have mortgaged themselves to the maximum of their current ability to pay and then complain when the rates rise. This is how the American subprime debacle has started - people borrowing far more than they can realistically afford to repay.

S
You forgot to mention the 2 new vehicles (a V8 sports and a LWB Landcruiser to tow the new 5.5m boat) they had to buy on HP to keep up the appearance of their new lifestyle glamour house.

They dont feel so bad about the mega-sized plasma TV they bought 18months ago as the model has been superceded....

WW
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:20 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
You forgot to mention the 2 new vehicles (a V8 sports and a LWB Landcruiser to tow the new 5.5m boat) they had to buy on HP to keep up the appearance of their new lifestyle glamour house.

They dont feel so bad about the mega-sized plasma TV they bought 18months ago as the model has been superceded....

WW
I know plenty of people that have mortgaged themselves to the max and gotta admit they are all a bit silly doing so, especially as they have said for years the interest rates where going to go a lot higher but didn't know when.

I personally am not bothered by the rate rises, its not worth worrying over unless it goes into the realms of Aussie fantasy. If you need to buy you haven't got much choice really.
Jenny
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I'd hate to think how couples with kids survive, or why they would mortgage themselves to that level in the first place. But still they do...
JTL
Pretty much, that if they want to pay off their own mortgage rather than someone elses, they have too.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

willow green is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marcpiano
Great news - my savings interest rate will increase. If my bank doesn't pass on the benefit I'll transfer to one that does. I owe not a penny to anyone...
You are a lucky devil
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

willow green is an unknown quantity at this point

Just announced, another .25% rise, taking the mortgage rate to around 9%.

Bloody Howard!!
9%? Does that mean that the Australian economy is a bit heated? What's the inflation like does anybody know?

High interest rate now is not a good sign for the near future..
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:50 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willow green
9%? Does that mean that the Australian economy is a bit heated? What's the inflation like does anybody know?

High interest rate now is not a good sign for the near future..
Inflation is at a 16year high, around 3.5% depending on which measure you read. However, fuel, food and generally basic necessities are all increasing at a much greater rate than 3.5% so I'm not sure what the moderating influence is....imported plasma tvs is all I can think of!

Other than that the labour market is tight as and real estate is still generally increasing in value too rapidly....some heat needs to be taken out.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:14 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see that interest rates went up 0.25% and then the Comm Bank put their variable rate up by 0.3% they really are robbing bastards!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:16 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Nice to see that interest rates went up 0.25% and then the Comm Bank put their variable rate up by 0.3% they really are robbing bastards!

Yes, they really are aren't they? The way that they carry on, I don't understand why anybody banks with them.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.