Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interest rates have gone up again

Interest rates have gone up again

Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Interest rates have gone up again

Originally Posted by tictac
Bugger.

That's it then.

No more Chai Lattes for me
Looks like I'm going to have to settle with the next plasma for the 4th spare bedroom only being 106cm, instead of 127cm.

Bloody Howard!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:04 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile
Someone on the radio ( gov or economist ) was saying that the rate rise would be offset by rising wages and property prices... they don't get it yet do they.

Yes, the pundits are already suggesting that this won't be the last rise.

Luckily we have a boat load of tax cuts that the government promised us to get elected to come. Maybe these will help to keep a lid on inflation...

S
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

Luckily we have a boat load of tax cuts that the government promised us to get elected to come. Maybe these will help to keep a lid on inflation...

S
Troll.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:06 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
Troll.
No, just sarcasm

S
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

SWEET! 1 AUD currently buys you around 0.46 GBP.

Keep spending Australia.

On ya Howard.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Tax is too high in Australia so these cuts are needed. They may have an effect on inflation but I don't care. I love high interest rates but hate high taxes.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:19 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Damn straight.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

hawkshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
SWEET! 1 AUD currently buys you around 0.46 GBP.

Keep spending Australia.

On ya Howard.
Not sweet to those of us who are still paid in GBP. Boo hoo.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Another who (thank heavens) owes nothing, so good news for us self funded retirees.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the pundits are already suggesting that this won't be the last rise.

S
Yes there is $30 billion of tax cuts coming. But I was reading today they've got $30 billion of stealth tax increases to stop it having an inflationary effect.

Well, not just stealth taxes, but things like the new, first time homebuyers savings account tax 'cut', that'll keep the money out of the economy.

Its all smoke and mirrors

JTL
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

I'm in the same boat. Bring on interest rates of 17%...

S
Easy to say for all us poms who came over when the exchange rate was good but spare a thought for all australian who are now struggling to pay mortgages. Your comments are rather patronising dont you think?

Raven
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:28 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by raven
Easy to say for all us poms who came over when the exchange rate was good but spare a thought for all australian who are now struggling to pay mortgages. Your comments are rather patronising dont you think?

Raven

Maybe, maybe not. Prudent financial planning would have involved factoring in potential rate rises when assessing affordability for a mortgage.

I'm not entirely sure that I have a great deal of sympathy for people that have mortgaged themselves to the maximum of their current ability to pay and then complain when the rates rise. This is how the American subprime debacle has started - people borrowing far more than they can realistically afford to repay.

S
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe, maybe not. Prudent financial planning would have involved factoring in potential rate rises when assessing affordability for a mortgage.

I'm not entirely sure that I have a great deal of sympathy for people that have mortgaged themselves to the maximum of their current ability to pay and then complain when the rates rise. This is how the American subprime debacle has started - people borrowing far more than they can realistically afford to repay.

S
I think the point is that banks should not be allowing them to borrow that much in the first place if it does not allow leeway for a few rate increases. Six times your household income is stretching it! I agree with what you say but not everyone has your fiscal nous and some responsbility must lie with the banks.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
I think the point is that banks should not be allowing them to borrow that much in the first place if it does not allow leeway for a few rate increases. Six times your household income is stretching it! I agree with what you say but not everyone has your fiscal nous and some responsbility must lie with the banks.
Though its incredibly unlike me to take the banks side, they are in a no win situation. Just read the threads here. People want low doc mortgages so they can borrow way beyond their capacity to pay.

Then borrowing rates go up, and they can't pay the repayments. Now who is the villain? The banks!

Many many years ago, I took out a 95% mortgage in the UK, and was quite annoyed that the bank wouldn't give me quite as much as I needed to buy the house. (obviously took out a small loan from my Dad ). Looking back though, I was really lucky that house prices went up and interest rates didn't, because my repayments were like 50% of my monthly wage. I could survive cos I was a single guy on a good wage at the time.

I'd hate to think how couples with kids survive, or why they would mortgage themselves to that level in the first place. But still they do...

JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.