Iluka

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:44 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iluka

Originally Posted by M4TT.P
Ahh I see, do the Police try to combat this in anyway? or is it just a tad too much like hard work?
Yes the police are trying to do something about the hoons, they impound their cars if caught and so far it seems to be working well. We have lived in Iluka since 1999 and have never had any problems in our road with hoons, it's just the main thoroughfares and one of those is Delgado as the kids come up from Burns Beach.

I also think Iluka beach is lovely and no different to any others. We go down to the foreshore and sit in the beach hut some nights to watch the sun go down with a bottle of wine and it's really peaceful down there.

We also pay extra in our rates to have security at night and you can call the local ranger out as well if you need to and yes, they come straight away. One of the reasons we like Iluka is because it doesn't have shops, a pub, restaurants etc.. Our good friends live very close to the marina at Mindarie and they wish to goodness they had never built there, now they are selling up as they've had enough of the noise and bottles being thrown in their garden etc. etc..

Originally Posted by Uuuh Patsy
I'm currently renting in Iluka for the last 4 months. Bought a house in tapping. Although the parks are lovely and its near the sea, I dont think its worth paying the premium when you can drive 5 mins away and get nicer.. Just my opinion. Although a lot of the houses here are fab...
Get nicer what?
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:45 am
MNM

M4TT.P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
That sounds like Currambine which is just across Marmion Avenue from Iluka.
Does Marmion Av literally separate Iluka from Currambine?
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:47 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Does Marmion Av literally separate Iluka from Currambine?
Yes.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:57 am
MNM

M4TT.P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Yes the police are trying to do something about the hoons, they impound their cars if caught and so far it seems to be working well. We have lived in Iluka since 1999 and have never had any problems in our road with hoons, it's just the main thoroughfares and one of those is Delgado as the kids come up from Burns Beach.

I also think Iluka beach is lovely and no different to any others. We go down to the foreshore and sit in the beach hut some nights to watch the sun go down with a bottle of wine and it's really peaceful down there.

We also pay extra in our rates to have security at night and you can call the local ranger out as well if you need to and yes, they come straight away. One of the reasons we like Iluka is because it doesn't have shops, a pub, restaurants etc.. Our good friends live very close to the marina at Mindarie and they wish to goodness they had never built there, now they are selling up as they've had enough of the noise and bottles being thrown in their garden etc. etc..

Get nicer what?

Good counter comment to Three Legs, just down to preference then, Personally I think I would prefer the quieter area, no passing shoppers etc...

Access to shops etc doesn't seem to be a major issue if Marmion is the only divide.

Thanks for advice
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:02 am
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes it sounds like Carrumbine and the restaurant is Oscars.

Yes, at least 1 1/2 or more to Canningvale.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Is that rush hour?
Google is saying 56 minutes - which I would guess is NOT rush hour
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:25 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Renth won't thank me for this but I would say Iluka is very overpriced for what you are getting ...

There are no local shops ... no garage ... no pub ... no schools ...
No riff raff either LOL, As I see it the main problem with Mindarie is it's surrounded by dodgy suburbs and that much further away from Perth CBD.

I think all of Perth is massively overpriced and Iluka is no exception.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:31 am
'In limboland'

Good counter comment to Three Legs, just down to preference then, Personally I think I would prefer the quieter area, no passing shoppers etc...

Access to shops etc doesn't seem to be a major issue if Marmion is the only divide.

Thanks for advice
It's a pleasure and if you want more info feel free to PM me. There are more than just Currambine shops close by. Kinross & Beaumaris, where I do most of my shopping, have smallish shopping malls as well.

Originally Posted by deborahjane
Yes it sounds like Carrumbine and the restaurant is Oscars.

Yes, at least 1 1/2 or more to Canningvale.
There are a few restaurants up by Currambine shops now. I drove down to Canning Vale last month and it took me just under an hour.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:35 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Renth, what's your opinion on the [F]Hoons[/FONT]
that allegedly terrorize the Iluka streets?

Regards

Matt
Well, hoons are everywhere in Perth and Delgado is certainly a rat run for them.

You are not necessarily going to get them everywhere though, you have to pick your street carefully. For example - "front row" - I'd never live there again, we rented in Ocean Reef, front row and the hoons used to tear past most nights as well as countless upleasant incidents cuminating in a neighbour getting beaten up in his house by a passing gang of yobbos.

Rat run streets, like Delgado, you'll always get dickheads tearing down them on their way to wherever they go (hint, Hillaries Marina car park).

Ideally a no through road, like where we live. The first night we moved in I couldn't sleep as I was so spooked by the silence, no speeding cars going past like I was used to.

The thing I like best about Iluka is that it was never a cheap suburb on the outskirts of Perth like, say Mullaloo or Ocean Reef, so people didn't move there a few years ago because it was cheap. You do get bogans in those suburbs, some real "white trash". I haven't seen any bogans who live in Iluka yet (Renth dons helmet and prepares to be slated as a SNOB!) .

Also, unlike some of the much newer suburbs the blocks are bigger, sure, they are not a quarter acre, I think the average is about 700 squares, but that's a paddock compared to the even newer suburbs like Burns Beach.

Last edited by renth; Nov 3rd 2008 at 7:39 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:37 am
(It's not my real name)

There are a few restaurants up by Currambine shops now.
I like the cinema at Currambine, it's never crowded, always get a good place, they don't mind you taking in your own lollies.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:38 am
(It's not my real name)

Just one thing about Iluka in the negative column. If you want a state education for your kids the local high school is Ocean Reef. Some people reckon it's OK, the results show otherwise. I'd never send my kids there.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRB
I am wondering why Iluka when it's so far out. If you have some money to spend on a home why not consider some of the best suburbs in Perth which are the Western suburbs - closer to the City. Nice suburbs which spring to mind are City Beach, Peppermint Grove, Cottesloe, Mosmon Park, Claremont. They are older suburbs with much more infrastucture. They are close to the ocean and are the premium Perth suburbs. They take about 15 minutes to get into the city. These suburbs have older Californian bungalow type houses or top of the range modern ones too. Alot of the Brits seem to head up to the Northern suburbs and personally I found them nice but bland, lacking abit of life and soul. Personally I preferred the Western suburbs.

I would second this.

The argument about which far-flung, barren, soulless new suburb is better always seems a bit strange to me.

The older suburbs have a bit of character, which is badly lacking in much of Perth. Don't be put off because they are relatively close to the city -- some of these suburbs feel like they are a million miles away.

We lived in Floreat, which had loads of parkland, big gum trees, etc. The ocean was about 3km away, a cycle ride alongside the natural bushland of Bold Park, which I think is bigger than Kings Park. The beaches are among the finest in Perth. A couple of miles in the other direction you have Subiaco.

We had a 50m outdoor swimming pool surrounded by trees just round the corner. You are also in the catchment for some of the best state schools in Perth, which for us came much higher on the priority list than a big ostentatious house, which is what the new beachside suburbs seem to be all about for many people.

I'd suggest taking a look at Wembley Downs, too.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:49 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by Exile
I would second this.

The argument about which far-flung, barren, soulless new suburb is better always seems a bit strange to me.

The older suburbs have a bit of character, which is badly lacking in much of Perth. Don't be put off because they are relatively close to the city -- some of these suburbs feel like they are a million miles away.

We lived in Floreat, which had loads of parkland, big gum trees, etc. The ocean was about 3km away, a cycle ride alongside the natural bushland of Bold Park, which I think is bigger than Kings Park. The beaches are among the finest in Perth. A couple of miles in the other direction you have Subiaco.

We had a 50m outdoor swimming pool surrounded by trees just round the corner. You are also in the catchment for some of the best state schools in Perth, which for us came much higher on the priority list than a big ostentatious house, which is what the new beachside suburbs seem to be all about for many people.

I'd suggest taking a look at Wembley Downs, too.
Wembley Downs is one of my favourite suburbs, but when we wanted to build, there was no vacant land. We took an agents advise and built on the coastal strip and we are glad we did. We don't all have those 'ostentatious' homes, neither do we all want one. We chose Iluka because there were no plans for garages, shops, pubs etc..
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Wembley Downs is one of my favourite suburbs, but when we wanted to build, there was no vacant land. We took an agents advise and built on the coastal strip and we are glad we did. We don't all have those 'ostentatious' homes, neither do we all want one. We chose Iluka because there were no plans for garages, shops, pubs etc..
That is the problem with the older suburbs. You sometimes have to buy an old house and knock it down if you want to build, and the prices at the moment are prohibitive, even if they claim it is "block value". The other option is to renovate, but that tends to cost a lot more than building new per sq metre.

Although obviously not true in all cases, I always got the feeling that the northern coastal strip attracted new arrivals who prioritized shiny big houses that would impress the relatives back home, above education for the kids, commuting distance, facilities, being able to see trees, etc. I could just be talking about myself, as I was one of them when I first arrived in Perth.

Last edited by Exile; Nov 3rd 2008 at 8:11 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Exile
That is the problem with the older suburbs. You sometimes have to buy an old house and knock it down if you want to build, and the prices at the moment are prohibitive, even if they claim it is "block value". The other option is to renovate, but that tends to cost a lot more than building new per sq metre.

Although obviously not true in all cases, I always got the feeling that the northern coastal strip attracted new arrivals who prioritized shiny big houses that would impress the relatives back home, above education for the kids, commuting distance, facilities, being able to see trees, etc. I could just be talking about myself, as I was one of them when I first arrived in Perth.
Well you are right with the houses - we are in an old, old 'traditional' house in Nedlands, 5 mins to CBD, 5 mins to the river, 2 mins to UWA , lovely original features BUT nothing like the house that my friend has in Mindarie - it's a palace. I am envious and yes, I would love a modern house with all the built-in whatsits, theatre room etc but I couldn't give up the location as it's so convenient. OH cycles to CBD in 15 mins in the summer.

All depends on what you're after and what works for your family dynamics.

Galba

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.