Iluka

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:03 pm
MNM

M4TT.P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Iluka

Originally Posted by renth
Well, hoons are everywhere in Perth and Delgado is certainly a rat run for them.

You are not necessarily going to get them everywhere though, you have to pick your street carefully. For example - "front row" - I'd never live there again, we rented in Ocean Reef, front row and the hoons used to tear past most nights as well as countless upleasant incidents cuminating in a neighbour getting beaten up in his house by a passing gang of yobbos.

Rat run streets, like Delgado, you'll always get dickheads tearing down them on their way to wherever they go (hint, Hillaries Marina car park).

Ideally a no through road, like where we live. The first night we moved in I couldn't sleep as I was so spooked by the silence, no speeding cars going past like I was used to.

The thing I like best about Iluka is that it was never a cheap suburb on the outskirts of Perth like, say Mullaloo or Ocean Reef, so people didn't move there a few years ago because it was cheap. You do get bogans in those suburbs, some real "white trash". I haven't seen any bogans who live in Iluka yet (Renth dons helmet and prepares to be slated as a SNOB!) .

Also, unlike some of the much newer suburbs the blocks are bigger, sure, they are not a quarter acre, I think the average is about 700 squares, but that's a paddock compared to the even newer suburbs like Burns Beach.
Cheers!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:19 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I like the cinema at Currambine, it's never crowded, always get a good place, they don't mind you taking in your own lollies.
They stopped my son and his friend when they were younger and I went up there and complained, vehemently. Their bag was actually taken away from them. There was no sign to say they couldn't bring their own sweets and drink, so I got an apology.

Originally Posted by Exile
That is the problem with the older suburbs. You sometimes have to buy an old house and knock it down if you want to build, and the prices at the moment are prohibitive, even if they claim it is "block value". The other option is to renovate, but that tends to cost a lot more than building new per sq metre.

Although obviously not true in all cases, I always got the feeling that the northern coastal strip attracted new arrivals who prioritized shiny big houses that would impress the relatives back home, above education for the kids, commuting distance, facilities, being able to see trees, etc. I could just be talking about myself, as I was one of them when I first arrived in Perth.
I hear what you're saying and yes, Iluka, Mindarie, Hillarys and now Burns Beach have become very much like that in the past few years. We have been here for almost 12 years now and seen a massive change in the style of housing being built. We took a drive around on Sunday and I was cringing at most of the new builds in Burns Beach Estate and Mindarie.

There's going to be a new primary school in Burns Beach, so that's a plus for families this side of Iluka and in B B itself.

We looked at some older style houses in Cottesloe, Fremantle & Subiaco when we first came, but after years of renovating houses back home, we wanted to be 'free' for awhile. We have always said that we'd eventually buy down closer to the city when our son finished his education, but things have changed and we're now going home next year, hopefully.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Iluka's a nice suburb, but too over priced compared to it's neighbours.

There's far, far more value in areas such as Mullaloo and Kallaroo which are still coastal strip but geographically closer to the city. And as they're older suburbs, plot sizes are larger, parks and open spaces are much more generous, there's more room between buildings and the roads are generally wider.

So although these older suburbs can look 'tired' in places, what you gain in land, general open space, distance from the CBD and established infrastructure far outweighs the extra $100k for a newer, fresher suburb feel. And with the amount of people renovating in my particular area at the moment, in a couple of years most houses in my street will look brand new anyway!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:17 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bazza Boy
Iluka's a nice suburb, but too over priced compared to it's neighbours.

There's far, far more value in areas such as Mullaloo and Kallaroo which are still coastal strip but geographically closer to the city.!
Never liked Mullaloo but I think you are spot on with Kallaroo, big blocks, mature trees. Nice burb.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:18 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Never liked Mullaloo but I think you are spot on with Kallaroo, big blocks, mature trees. Nice burb.
I've never been keen on Mullaloo, although there are pockets which look nice and have a nice feel to them, same with Kallaroo imo, although North Shore is very nice. It's a good job we all look for different things in a suburb or all the 'burbs would end up looking as bad as Whitfords Beach.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:43 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
I've never been keen on Mullaloo, although there are pockets which look nice and have a nice feel to them, same with Kallaroo imo, although North Shore is very nice. It's a good job we all look for different things in a suburb or all the 'burbs would end up looking as bad as Whitfords Beach.
Yeah, North Shore, that's what I meant, it's part of Kallaroo isn't it?
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:58 am
'In limboland'

Yeah, North Shore, that's what I meant, it's part of Kallaroo isn't it?
Yes it is, it's just that the people who live in North Shore don't like to admit it.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by deborahjane

Area's like Cottlesloe, Peppermint Grove are much moe expensive. We like to go to Cottlesloe every so often shopping because it is so green and reminds us of home and has a bit more character to it but again if you want a new house it is dated there.
So true, we do the same. Other suburbs we like to drive through is Swarnbourne, Wembley Downs and Dalkeith. My favourite is Peppermint Grove. The verge trees make a huge difference to the feel of these areas, something that is completely lacking in the new suburbs.