How far behind?

Old Dec 12th 2005, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How far behind?

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
I'm surprised to hear that asbestos is still in use in Oz - is this commonplace? What about new builds - do they still contain it?
Asbestos was used in a number of building materials including fencing, internal wall and ceiling linings, external walls and eave soffits, sanitary vent pipes, roofing and linoleum flooring.

It was used in buildings up to 1984. From 1981-4 asbestos sheet had a warning sticker placed on the back of the sheet. Asbestos-free was stamped as such.

The issue with asbestos is often due to home renovators and some trades (sparkies in particular) who cut holes for exhaust fans or downlights, etc. The 'it wont happen to me' syndrome.

The cost can be expensive to fix broken sheet or to clean up dust contaminated roof spaces properly.

The current renovation fad in Brisbane is going to cost some ignorant home renovators very very dearly .

Other hidden dangers are trees (especially palm trees) brushing across the asbestos roofs and abrading the surface to realise fibres. A bit of wind and who knows were it goes OR comes FROM :scared:

WW
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Asbestos was used in a number of building materials including fencing, internal wall and ceiling linings, external walls and eave soffits, sanitary vent pipes, roofing and linoleum flooring.

It was used in buildings up to 1984. From 1981-4 asbestos sheet had a warning sticker placed on the back of the sheet. Asbestos-free was stamped as such.

The issue with asbestos is often due to home renovators and some trades (sparkies in particular) who cut holes for exhaust fans or downlights, etc. The 'it wont happen to me' syndrome.

The cost can be expensive to fix broken sheet or to clean up dust contaminated roof spaces properly.

The current renovation fad in Brisbane is going to cost some ignorant home renovators very very dearly .

Other hidden dangers are trees (especially palm trees) brushing across the asbestos roofs and abrading the surface to realise fibres. A bit of wind and who knows were it goes OR comes FROM :scared:

WW
"And if the Blue Sky Mining Company won't come to my rescue .... who's gonna save me?"

OzTennis
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by OzTennis
"And if the Blue Sky Mining Company won't come to my rescue .... who's gonna save me?"

OzTennis
gee, what a good line for a song

WW
Old Dec 12th 2005, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

gee, what a good line for a song

WW
Isn't it! I've already thought of the follow up, I'm trying to work around a line in my head 'how do we sleep when our beds are burning'. I'm just trying to think of a name for my group and as I'm burning the midnight oil often I reckon I might be onto something with this.

OzTennis
Old Dec 12th 2005, 1:41 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: How far behind?

I had an asbestos house back home. It was a little California bungalow, built in 1944.

The house was fully renovated by the local council and sold to first home buyers (of which I was one at the time!)

I lived in it very happily for two and a half years before moving to the UK.

Most suburban fencing in Australia is still asbestos, but nobody seems to have any trouble with it.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I had an asbestos house back home. It was a little California bungalow, built in 1944.

The house was fully renovated by the local council and sold to first home buyers (of which I was one at the time!)

Most suburban fencing in Australia is still asbestos, but nobody seems to have any trouble with it.
'Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue' (Billy Thorpe version best)

There's different types of asbestos (white, blue etc), some of it safe and it is only when it is disturbed that it is a problem eg as mentioned by 'sparkies'.

OzTennis
Old Dec 12th 2005, 2:03 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: How far behind?

Originally Posted by OzTennis
'Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue' (Billy Thorpe version best)

There's different types of asbestos (white, blue etc), some of it safe and it is only when it is disturbed that it is a problem eg as mentioned by 'sparkies'.

OzTennis
Yeah, when I had my aircon put in, the geezer who did it for me was absolutely scrupulous about using facemasks and carefully cleaning up any dust, etc.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 10:01 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Blimey ..and you slag off tiny English houses
Old Dec 12th 2005, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, when I had my aircon put in, the geezer who did it for me was absolutely scrupulous about using facemasks and carefully cleaning up any dust, etc.
Contained the area so dust didnt float away?

If he just swept it into a pile and then used a domestic vacuum cleaner, you could have problems..... :scared:

WW
Old Dec 12th 2005, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Contained the area so dust didnt float away?

If he just swept it into a pile and then used a domestic vacuum cleaner, you could have problems..... :scared:

WW
Yes, I understood that when messing about with asbestos you need full-body protection, full face mask, a hose-down afterwards etc. I have a builder friend who won't touch any renovation jobs with even a hint of asbestos because of the preparations and risk involved.