Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1st post - advice please

1st post - advice please

Old Dec 12th 2005, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Mr Pencil is on a distinguished road
Default 1st post - advice please

Hi everyone, what a great site. We are just about ready to send our visa application off. There is one question I have for all you more experienced visa applicants. Who do you get to certify the copies of your birth/marriage certificates? We have filled in all the forms ourselves, so we don’t have a migration agent to do this for us.

We are a family of four heading off to the Gold coast where we have family and friends. We have been to Oz several times before and like it there very much. I am sure I will be back on this forum now I’ve found it to ask lots more questions.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st post - advice please

Originally Posted by Mr Pencil
Hi everyone, what a great site. We are just about ready to send our visa application off. There is one question I have for all you more experienced visa applicants. Who do you get to certify the copies of your birth/marriage certificates? We have filled in all the forms ourselves, so we don’t have a migration agent to do this for us.

We are a family of four heading off to the Gold coast where we have family and friends. We have been to Oz several times before and like it there very much. I am sure I will be back on this forum now I’ve found it to ask lots more questions.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi

It has to be a Justice of the Peace, Solicitor or suchlike. If you ring around a few solicitors they will advise you on costs etc. We were quoted around £5 per copy (Not all of them do it)

Hope that helps and all goes well.

Wendy
Old Dec 12th 2005, 11:53 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

hi and welcome to the forum, it is a place of valuable knowledge and experience!!
With regards to your question you need to get a solicitor, judge or notary to certify your documents, ring around for prices as some will try and charge a fortune for the pleasure!!!
good luck
vb2

Thanks for any advice.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Thanks for any advice.
We got ours done at the Local Magistrates. I don't even think they charged us.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caroline G
We got ours done at the Local Magistrates. I don't even think they charged us.
I'm sure there's a list somewhere within the guidelines specifying who can certify docs.

I got the local magistrate to do it. Booked an appointment before court started and took photocopies and originals. Got them all done for......NOTHING!

Got solicitor who'd done my conveyancing a year or 2 earlier to certify them for my skills asessment and he charged £90 for 6 copies!

Cash of course. Thieving B*****D!!
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
I'm sure there's a list somewhere within the guidelines specifying who can certify docs.

I got the local magistrate to do it. Booked an appointment before court started and took photocopies and originals. Got them all done for......NOTHING!

Got solicitor who'd done my conveyancing a year or 2 earlier to certify them for my skills asessment and he charged £90 for 6 copies!

Cash of course. Thieving B*****D!!

We were lucky as we know a solicitor who works for the JP so he did ours for a few beers.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:20 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

G'day Mr.Pencil.

Nice of you to sketch out your plans for us.
You are about to start a very tedious waiting process but when you get the visa it erases the past worries and you feel like crayola from the rooftops.

HB
Welcome to the forum

2HB
Good luck.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:38 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

No advice, just a warm welcome
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:44 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for any advice.
I might be wrong here, but don't the originals have certified copy written on them anyway, I am sure we sent our originals and once they had checked them they sent them back pretty quickly by recorded post.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
I might be wrong here, but don't the originals have certified copy written on them anyway, I am sure we sent our originals and once they had checked them they sent them back pretty quickly by recorded post.

Yes, we sent the originals of birth certificates too, but we had to send Certified copies of the identification pages of our passports. Was told by our agent not to send our passports.

Wendy
Old Dec 12th 2005, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

We got a JP to do ours, she’s a personall friend of mine, so there was no charge. Lucky us, as it could work out to be quite expensive if some of the quoted figures above are to be beleived.

Welcome to the forum BTW, if you have any more technical questions about the application process then try posting in the Visa and Immigration section.

Good luck
Old Dec 12th 2005, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Welcome to the font of all knowledge ...

One question

Interesting handle you have there ... much lead in it ?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Mr Pencil is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice. A local solicitor will authorise all five documents for ten quid all in - a bargain.

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Hi,

One question

Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:09 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Hi,

One question

I knew someone would say that

We got a JP to sign some of ours, then got fed up and done the rest of the process through an agent.

I read on here once that you can pay an agent to check it for you, thought that was a good idea, can't remember what the charge was for checking though

Also sending you your first blue box
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:16 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any advice.
Went to our local council, asked for a list of councilors who were also JP's and got them to certify for free. In Dundee they do not have an official seal but the JP wrote a covering letter with the required words.

Cheers

Ginny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.