Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

expensive groceries

expensive groceries

Old May 10th 2010, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of
Default Re: expensive groceries

I don't really find Aldi cheaper, maybe I am just not trying hard enough. I find the fruit a bit iffy too. There are some bargains in Coles and decent deals tend to go round in weekly cycles, beef sometimes is very cheap. Pasta and own brand bread is always very cheap.

Saying that, some "special" offers just aren't so special at all, at the moment we got Pringles with there own special stand near the entrance for $4.99 a tub someone tell me what is special about that.

The real basics (exept skimmed milk) are not expensive at all, starts getting pricey when you load the luxuries like crisps, biscuits and other nice stuff
Old May 10th 2010, 3:57 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gmralston View Post
I don't really find Aldi cheaper, maybe I am just not trying hard enough. I find the fruit a bit iffy too. There are some bargains in Coles and decent deals tend to go round in weekly cycles, beef sometimes is very cheap. Pasta and own brand bread is always very cheap.

Saying that, some "special" offers just aren't so special at all, at the moment we got Pringles with there own special stand near the entrance for $4.99 a tub someone tell me what is special about that.

The real basics (exept skimmed milk) are not expensive at all, starts getting pricey when you load the luxuries like crisps, biscuits and other nice stuff
Now you've done it. !!

Didn't you realise that everybody on this board cooks all their own meals from scratch, grow 90% of their own food, keep a couple of goats each... AND WOULD NOT BE SEEN DEAD EATING BISCUITS.

Tantamount to saying you eat your own children.
Old May 10th 2010, 3:59 am
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus View Post
Now you've done it. !!

Didn't you realise that everybody on this board cooks all their own meals from scratch, grow 90% of their own food, keep a couple of goats each... AND WOULD NOT BE SEEN DEAD EATING BISCUITS.

Tantamount to saying you eat your own children.
Actually, one can not actually eat biscuits if one has passed away. Evidence to the contrary is merely circumstantial.
Old May 10th 2010, 4:07 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AllGoode View Post
Actually, one can not actually eat biscuits if one has passed away. Evidence to the contrary is merely circumstantial.
  • Take one corpse.
  • Open mouth and place biscuit inside.
  • Close mouth.
  • Leave corpse in sun for two weeks.
  • Open mouth and look for biscuit.
  • If its gone then corpse ate biscuit.
Old May 10th 2010, 4:39 am
Account Closed

aglassofwinehelps is an unknown quantity at this point

• Take one corpse.
  • Open mouth and place biscuit inside.
  • Close mouth.
  • Leave corpse in sun for two weeks.
Old May 10th 2010, 4:51 am
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Leap of faith required. You would have no proof positive that the corpse actually ate said biscuit; a passer-by could have:
  • Opened corpse mouth and looked for biscuit.
  • Removed and, placing in own mouth said biscuit, eaten same.
  • Closed corpse cake-hole.
The biscuit would have been eaten but not by said corpse.
Old May 10th 2010, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Leap of faith required. You would have no proof positive that the corpse actually ate said biscuit; a passer-by could have:
  • Opened corpse mouth and looked for biscuit.
  • Removed and, placing in own mouth said biscuit, eaten same.
  • Closed corpse cake-hole.
The biscuit would have been eaten but not by said corpse.

Would said corpse be full price or on special.
Old May 10th 2010, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

"ONE litre carton of skimmed milk in Alda": $1.89

ASDA UK: £0.55 ($A0.92) ASDA UHT Skimmed Milk
Fresh milk in Asda is much dearer - about 84p per litre. Or 50p a pint in my local Co-Op! Bread under £1 is very rare unless it's unbranded (own brand 'stay fresh' can be found for around 80p), branded is at least £1 - £1.20, although deals can be found (e.g. 2 loaves for £2).

I bought an apple in Lidl (cheapest supermarket in the UK) and it cost 33p!!! I could a 250g bar of own brand chocolate for that price! (no wonder the UK has a weight problem, lol ).

Chicken is very expensive - unless you can find it on special offer you're looking at £1.50 per breast (this is what my husband paid last week - I remember him huffing about it!).

Eggs - cheapest are 15 for £1.50 at Asda (non free-range, though I always thought free range should be cheaper than battery because they're saving money on all those cages... ).

Cakes, chocolate, sweets, etc. - basically anything bad for you - is way cheaper than fruit and veg. (I reiterate the above point about weight problems...).

Toilet roll is about £1.70 for 4 rolls (Asda own brand) although our local bargain store (B&M Bargains) does it cheaper, as does Farm Stores (but it means driving round to different stores instead of getting all the shopping in one place - bit of a hassle and costs more in petrol - speaking of which, I paid £118.9p the other day!!!).

Anita
Old May 10th 2010, 9:29 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seanyg View Post
Fresh milk in Asda is much dearer - about 84p per litre. Or 50p a pint in my local Co-Op! Bread under £1 is very rare unless it's unbranded (own brand 'stay fresh' can be found for around 80p), branded is at least £1 - £1.20, although deals can be found (e.g. 2 loaves for £2).

I bought an apple in Lidl (cheapest supermarket in the UK) and it cost 33p!!! I could a 250g bar of own brand chocolate for that price! (no wonder the UK has a weight problem, lol ).

Chicken is very expensive - unless you can find it on special offer you're looking at £1.50 per breast (this is what my husband paid last week - I remember him huffing about it!).

Eggs - cheapest are 15 for £1.50 at Asda (non free-range, though I always thought free range should be cheaper than battery because they're saving money on all those cages... ).

Cakes, chocolate, sweets, etc. - basically anything bad for you - is way cheaper than fruit and veg. (I reiterate the above point about weight problems...).

Toilet roll is about £1.70 for 4 rolls (Asda own brand) although our local bargain store (B&M Bargains) does it cheaper, as does Farm Stores (but it means driving round to different stores instead of getting all the shopping in one place - bit of a hassle and costs more in petrol - speaking of which, I paid £118.9p the other day!!!).

Anita
Can I ask, how much is mince nowadays?- when I left Uk it was 99p for 500g of regular beef mince in the asda/tescos and chicken skinless breasts was £4.99 for a pack usually containing 4 breasts (not sure of the actual weight) what are you paying now please? and does asda still do its 9p cheap beans? and the fruit fromage frais homebrand 6 pots for 49p? thanks
Old May 10th 2010, 9:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by gmralston View Post
Does the special sign say "special cheaper", "special more expensive" or just plain "special" ?

$2.99 is a better price, for something just as good, or maybe even better, depending on taste.

Old May 10th 2010, 10:33 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii View Post
Can I ask, how much is mince nowadays?- when I left Uk it was 99p for 500g of regular beef mince in the asda/tescos and chicken skinless breasts was £4.99 for a pack usually containing 4 breasts (not sure of the actual weight) what are you paying now please? and does asda still do its 9p cheap beans? and the fruit fromage frais homebrand 6 pots for 49p? thanks
Tesco is 2.30 GBP for 500g of regular mince.
Old May 10th 2010, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by seanyg View Post

Anita
I know what you mean when we left the uk everything had gone up food, utility bills and petrol and i remember thinking it had got expensive. Then i arrived in Australia.
Old May 10th 2010, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond View Post
Does the special sign say "special cheaper", "special more expensive" or just plain "special" ?

$2.99 is a better price, for something just as good, or maybe even better, depending on taste.
OK then.
Old May 10th 2010, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark wool View Post
I know what you mean when we left the uk everything had gone up food, utility bills and petrol and i remember thinking it had got expensive. Then i arrived in Australia.
Well petrol is cheaper here, that's a positive. I also pay about the same for gas and electricity as I did in the UK. Food does seem to be more expensive and fruit & veg is seasonal, eg the wife loves to eat blueberries with her muesli. Couple of months ago a small punnet cost $2.99, last week it was up to $8. In the UK you could get the same punnet for the same price all year round.

I still know where I'd rather be living though.
Old May 10th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mulben View Post
The Spud Shed -
Pinjarra Road in Mandurah
and Baldivis ( where has Kerosene Lane gone , says Mundajong Rd now (sp) )
is a third the price of the big three for fresh food , maybe half price on meat - that does vary a lot . Just bought top quality Tas. rump for $9.99 bulk .
basics
$1.89 /2ltr milk
$0.99c / bread
$9.99 / kg of short cut bacon
$2.39 / doz eggs
woah.... you're putting a little smile on my face thanks!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.