Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

expensive groceries

expensive groceries

Old May 10th 2010, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all
Default Re: expensive groceries

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Water on my Weet-bix doesn't look great.
Old May 10th 2010, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Can I ask, how much is mince nowadays?- when I left Uk it was 99p for 500g of regular beef mince in the asda/tescos and chicken skinless breasts was £4.99 for a pack usually containing 4 breasts (not sure of the actual weight) what are you paying now please? and does asda still do its 9p cheap beans? and the fruit fromage frais homebrand 6 pots for 49p? thanks
What it is this - a Which magazine w*nkfest? You guys would stick the centre pages of the Asda catalogue together.

How much is a handjob?
Old May 10th 2010, 11:17 pm
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Originally Posted by tartankoala
Well petrol is cheaper here, that's a positive. I also pay about the same for gas and electricity as I did in the UK. Food does seem to be more expensive and fruit & veg is seasonal, eg the wife loves to eat blueberries with her muesli. Couple of months ago a small punnet cost $2.99, last week it was up to $8. In the UK you could get the same punnet for the same price all year round.

I still know where I'd rather be living though.
I don't eat blueberries (they strike me as poor value at the usual prices) so I looked up what Woolies offer price and found they have a special at the moment:

Mccain Seasons Choice Single Serve Blueberries 4pk 300g
Price $1.99 Unit Price $0.66/100g

http://www.homeshop.com.au/website/p...?prd_id=164559

Their other offerings in frozen blueberries range from $12 to $19 / kg. Kiwi fruit, for example, is usually about a quarter the price. Blackberries picked in late summer from the long paddock and frozen cost nothing. Similarly long paddock stewed plums.
Old May 11th 2010, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Sure groceries are expensive here, but we all eat well - nobody is starving and if you are malnutritioned then you are a f**kwit or have parents who are ******s.
Wow.

You must be a seriously deranged and extremely obnoxious person. Either that or you were attacking the cooking sherry when you wrote that little rant.

Perth is expensive because it is remote. End of story.

If you want cheap food – then grow your own or move to another state.

I live in Sydney and eat extremely well.......cheaply.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Can I ask, how much is mince nowadays?- when I left Uk it was 99p for 500g of regular beef mince in the asda/tescos and chicken skinless breasts was £4.99 for a pack usually containing 4 breasts (not sure of the actual weight) what are you paying now please? and does asda still do its 9p cheap beans? and the fruit fromage frais homebrand 6 pots for 49p? thanks
Tesco Value Mince (i.e. their cheapest own-brand - not sure of quality!) is £2.00 for 800g, or £1.21 for 500g. Tesco Beef Mince (presumably middle-of-range, i.e. not cheapest, not dearest) is £2.20 for 500g, and Tesco Finest Ground Beef Mince (i.e. premium own brand) is £2.98 for 500g.

Tesco 'Market Value' Large Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets (i.e. their cheapest own brand) is £6.00 for 915g (5 breasts) or £4.00 for 610g (3 breasts) or £2.00 for 305g (2 breasts). Not sure where my husband went to get his chicken the other day - these seem a bit cheaper! (probably Waitrose, they're always a rip-off ).

Asda's cheapest Baked Beans ("Smart Price", i.e. their cheapest own brand) are now 29p a tin. You can't get them for 9p anywhere, not even Lidl / Aldi / Netto (normally around this price everywhere). Even the cheapest tinned spaghetti is 19p in all the shops (inc. Aldi, etc.).

Both Asda and Tesco are doing cheapest own-brand Fromage Frais (x 6) for 20p now - but that's very recent. They were 44p up until this week (64p in certain shops). Must be a price-war thing!
Old May 11th 2010, 9:49 am
ABCDiamond

Coles and Woolworths didn't come out too well in something on TV about meat today. Not surprising though

Local Butchers came out best.

3 butchers in my area:
A:
$6.99 kg Chicken Breast Fillets
$8.99 kg Grain fed Rump
$12.99 kg Black Angus Rump

B:
$7 kg Rump
$8 kg Lamb Chops
$13 kg Lamb Chump Chops
$15 kg Lamb Loin Chops

C:
$20 kg Eye Fillet

and the Cleveland IGA (open 6am to midnight 365 days a year)

$4 kg Beef Sausages
$5 kg Premium Mince
$8 kg Lamb Legs
$9 kg Chicken Breast
$10 kg Black Angus Rump
$15 kg Lamb Loin Chops
$30 kg Wagyu Eye Fillet

Old May 11th 2010, 10:34 am
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Originally Posted by billabongbunyip
Are we required to take a leap of faith that your word is gospel or do you have objective, independently verifiable evidence?
Old May 11th 2010, 10:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billabongbunyip
Wow.

You must be a seriously deranged and extremely obnoxious person. Either that or you were attacking the cooking sherry when you wrote that little rant.

If you want cheap food – then grow your own or move to another state.

I live in Sydney and eat extremely well.......cheaply.
Groceries are generally expensive all over Australia - Perth, Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and the rest. Perth might be a little bit more expensive but nothing to get your knickers in a twist about. We also eat well and it does not break the bank - the point I was making.

You are a fan of Feltching. End of.

Last edited by Amazulu; May 11th 2010 at 11:24 am.
Old May 11th 2010, 11:57 am
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Some points:

Sure groceries are expensive here, but we all eat well - nobody is starving and if you are malnutritioned then you are a f**kwit or have parents who are ******s.

Speechless
Old May 11th 2010, 11:58 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by No 15
Speechless

Promise?
Old May 11th 2010, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Guys we all know its expensive here. I think its a case of same old circus different clowns.
Old May 11th 2010, 12:01 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by No 15
Speechless
Amen for small mercies.....
Old May 11th 2010, 12:03 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by mark wool
Guys we all know its expensive here. I think its a case of same old circus different clowns.
Exactly, yet we all eat well and have an extremely high standard of living.

No worries.
Old May 11th 2010, 12:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by mark wool
Not all of us "know its expensive here" as I know it is not for me.
Old May 11th 2010, 12:17 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by AllGoode
Not all of us "know its expensive here" as I know it is not for me.
It is expensive.... Bananas are back up to 99c a kg !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.