Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

expensive groceries

expensive groceries

Old May 11th 2010, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: expensive groceries

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It is expensive.... Bananas are back up to 99c a kg !!!
A couple of years ago they were around $15 a kilo.
Old May 11th 2010, 12:40 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
A couple of years ago they were around $15 a kilo.
Yesterday they were 49c kg
I bought a few more yesterday, than I did in the entire 3 months when they hit the high price due to all the banana plantations being destroyed.

Old May 11th 2010, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

mikewest is just really nicemikewest is just really nicemikewest is just really nicemikewest is just really nicemikewest is just really nicemikewest is just really nicemikewest is just really nicemikewest is just really nice

General question which may be best posted in this thread. Do the online shopping prices for Coles and Woolworths match the instore prices? also is there much regional variation between the prices in the major supermarkets?
Old May 11th 2010, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AllGoode
Are we required to take a leap of faith that your word is gospel or do you have objective, independently verifiable evidence?
Well just read all the posts from people who live there......who are whining about the cost of food.

Remote area = more expensive food due to transport costs – hardly rocket science.

Easy way round this is to buy local & seasonal food and avoid processed food that gets shipped in from other states.

Same when I lived in Darwin – fresh local food was cheap and processed food trucked up from Sydney was expensive.

Quite frankly, I think people have lost the plot when they are arguing over a couple of cents difference for meat or milk. Given that so many people in world are either staving or living on $1.00 a day, you should be grateful that you have access to clean water and fresh food in the first place.
Old May 11th 2010, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu
nothing to get your knickers in a twist about.
I was talking about your use of the words f**kwit and you suggesting people have parents who are ******s.

I found it inane and offensive for you to use this expression in a discussion about food prices.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can we get away from the use of offensive language please, and stick to the topic of the offensive price of groceries.
Old May 11th 2010, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billabongbunyip
I was talking about your use of the words f**kwit and you suggesting people have parents who are ******s.

I found it inane and offensive for you to use this expression in a discussion about food prices.
Have to be honest, I find it offensive - well amusing - that so many of my fellow expatriates can be so inane fullstop....but there you go!

Plenty of wits and c***ts around, mores the pity. Maybe there is a special visa class for them - I often wonder.
Old May 11th 2010, 11:10 pm
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Originally Posted by billabongbunyip
Well just read all the posts from people who live there......who are whining about the cost of food.

Remote area = more expensive food due to transport costs – hardly rocket science.

Easy way round this is to buy local & seasonal food and avoid processed food that gets shipped in from other states.

Same when I lived in Darwin – fresh local food was cheap and processed food trucked up from Sydney was expensive.

Quite frankly, I think people have lost the plot when they are arguing over a couple of cents difference for meat or milk. Given that so many people in world are either staving or living on $1.00 a day, you should be grateful that you have access to clean water and fresh food in the first place.
Whinge-Ohm-Meter (BritishExpats) leaves more than a little to be desired in terms of accuracy or even relevance.

I priced out my actual shopping trolly here. For better representation of the costs of others trollies, I suggested others might like to scan and post their shopping reciepts. None did.

One result of that thread was that my shopping trolly of groceries was very close to the same price in ASDA and in Woolworths in cash terms and in average adult male full time wage terms was 48.1% more expensive in ASDA than in Woolworths, or, inversely, 32.5% ((1/1.481)-1) cheaper in Woolworths than in ASDA. With the end of summer fruits, I find the cost a little less again.

Another result was to find that if the exchange rate returned to $2.50 / £1.00, the cost of the groceries on a cash basis (not considering wages) would be 56% more expensive in ASDA than in Woolies.

Your point that transport costs are often added onto the price of goods is, I believe, accurate but not entirely relevant to the cost of a shopping trolley of groceries as rational shoppers select the better value local goods.

I suggest that transport adds relatively little to the cost of goods in remoter areas in proportion to the other costs asscoiated with remoteness. For example the shopping infrastructure and associated costs are spread over fewer customers. This is seen by some as a lack of competition rather than simply a higher cost per customer base.

If you are right that Perth is more expensive (whether or not due to remoteness) then that would show in higher prices of a wide range of goods. I have yet to see any direct evidence.

Last edited by AllGoode; May 11th 2010 at 11:15 pm.
Old May 12th 2010, 2:45 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can we get away from the use of offensive language please, and stick to the topic of the offensive price of groceries.
Bernie and I think you should ban them all.
Old May 12th 2010, 3:33 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AllGoode
I priced out my actual shopping trolly here. For better representation of the costs of others trollies, I suggested others might like to scan and post their shopping reciepts. None did.
I compared COLES to TESCO last year and found them to be more or less the same (at $2.2 to the £). The only difference I noticed was that some of the jars where bigger in TESCO (not sure why).

I came to the conclusion that the costs are equal (obviously at the current exchange rate COLES might look a little dearer now).

- With regards to salary, I was earning near double the UK average, something I haven't managed here yet.

Last edited by coolshadows; May 12th 2010 at 3:36 am.
Old May 12th 2010, 6:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Bernie and I think you should ban them all.
That's a first isn't it, you two on the same side?
Old May 12th 2010, 6:37 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
That's a first isn't it, you two on the same side?
I haven't asked him. I just think he would agree with me.
Old May 12th 2010, 8:19 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Have to be honest, I find it offensive - well amusing - that so many of my fellow expatriates can be so inane fullstop....but there you go!

Plenty of wits and c***ts around, mores the pity. Maybe there is a special visa class for them - I often wonder.
with ref to this and the reply you gave me earlier Badge- if you dont want to chat about the current topic because you think its stupid- please feel free to take your narky negative posts and put them where someone else might be interested in them, theres plenty of space on this site and plenty of other posters who will whine with you Im sure
Old May 12th 2010, 9:34 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii
with ref to this and the reply you gave me earlier Badge- if you dont want to chat about the current topic because you think its stupid- please feel free to take your narky negative posts and put them where someone else might be interested in them, theres plenty of space on this site and plenty of other posters who will whine with you Im sure
I wouldn't worry about it too much...seems to be just some of the forum alphamales trying to impress each other with who can do the most 'swears'! They'll be comparing how hot their wives are, how much they earn, how well hung they are, what great legs they've got etc etc etc in a minute.
Old May 12th 2010, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Errrrrr helllloooo, I've been saying this for the last 6 months and some. It's a royal rip off here in Perth. Expensive housing, groceries, etc.

You need to be pulling in $70K a year at least for a family if you have no mortgage or rent just to get by. $100K and you'll still struggle with a $250K mortgage. Fact - unless you live like a student, don't go out, eat noodles and beans and like the park/beach and packed lunches as a day out week in week out. Defo need a high paying job to have any kind of 'lifestyle'.

Wake up people, hopefully you'll get what it's like in Perth and just don't think it's the negative locals spouting lies.
Everytime I read threads like this I wonder what people are doing with their money. We're a family of 4, 1 wage earner, not earning $100K (I wish!) or even close, we pay rent and all our other bills...and we don't live like students on noodles and beans (although I'm sure the kids would prefer that sometimes).

'Lifestyle' is a moving target. I think we live pretty well...but others may have higher expectations.