Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Down Under Program - comments

Down Under Program - comments

Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
Out of interest, has this made anyone have second thoughts/recognise themselves/fear the move? Esp those moving lock stock and barrel with their kids in tow.
Made us think back to our move to the UK and our future move to Oz that's for sure. I found myself thinking back to when I had to say the goodbye's to my family when they were doing it and got a bit 'misty' at that point.

OzTennis
Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:35 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
Yeah - I've been in a few. When I was 17, you saw me in action firing a rifle around the corner of a building, with smoke going off, rounds coming in, then getting a real dressing down for screwing up!!

Badge
Mine was when we were at uni and they followed us around for a week or so to recreate a day in the life of a Cambridge Uni student. It was all very staged - they cut out all the juicy stuff (like when we were pissed as farts in the bar, when my mate got off with the soundman, when we indulged in all manner of youthful pranks) and concentrated on the boring bits like lectures and sitting in our rooms surrounded by books (brought in specially for the purpose). ALthough they did, rather unfairly, keep the bit where I come in from cycling back from a lecture in the pouring rain, I'm soaked to the skin, wearing my attractive cycle helmet, mascara smeared and cursing like a trooper.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:40 am
Badge

right I'm off to the BBC archives. was it BBC? A mate of my brother's worked for them, and by all accounts he could get you a video of anything you asked for...

Badge

PS

I've always wondered about these crew - esp the cameramen- they seem to have an eye for a pretty face. You can't watch Songs of Praise (yes I KNOW!) without the cameraman having a special close up perve at someone, or picking out the chick with the biggest t*ts at Wimbledon etc

cynic, me?

Last edited by badgersmount; Nov 28th 2003 at 11:44 am.

Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:44 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
right I'm off to the BBC archives. was it BBC? A mate of my brother's worked for them, and by all accounts he could get you a video of anything you asked for...

Badge

PS

I've always wondered about these crew - esp the cameramen- they seem to have an eye for a pretty face. You can't watch Songs of Praise (yes I KNOW!) without the cameraman having a special close up perve at someone.

Yes, it was BBC2 (the big time) in about 1997 or 98. I've got it on tape somewhere. Can't remember what the progamme was called though.

It was an amusing experience all round. It was a single sex college (part of the basis of the programme) so pretty faces abounded (apart from mine after the cycling incident) and the all-male crew were in their element for the week they spent living in a single sex college.

Best thing was that everyone wanted to be our friends while the filming was happening. As I was but a young, single and free thing then the male attention was a definite bonus! But, as I say, they missed all those bits out. Probably a good thing.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 12:10 pm
She's a bird, you know

By the way, if I suddenly disappear it's probably because we've just been issued with a bomb alert for 2.00pm. Bit scary really. I shall be out walking the fields at 2.00pm far away from the buildings.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis
Yep, as I said The Castle for that.

OzTennis
Just had a look at the plot line... might get it out tonight if we can get it- could do with a good laugh!
Larissa
Old Nov 28th 2003, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the nearest I got to fame was being on Meridian tonight. It was holocaust day and I was busy scowling at my class who were fidgeting like mad infront of the camera crew. Funny that I'm never stopped in the street after my 2 seconds of fame!
Old Nov 28th 2003, 12:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The Castle is well worth it Larissa, you'll love it!

Old Nov 28th 2003, 12:25 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Pollyana
The Castle is well worth it Larissa, you'll love it!

Think I might get The Castle out this weekend too. Been a while.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 12:26 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

By the way, if I suddenly disappear it's probably because we've just been issued with a bomb alert for 2.00pm. Bit scary really. I shall be out walking the fields at 2.00pm far away from the buildings.

is it a time bomb - set to go off at 2.15pm or something?

sorry I shouldn't joke.... just seems strange they know what time to evacuate everyone!
Old Nov 28th 2003, 12:29 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by jandjuk
is it a time bomb - set to go off at 2.15pm or something?

sorry I shouldn't joke.... just seems strange they know what time to evacuate everyone!
Actually, it's quite serious. The university has received a threat of two bombs set to detonate at 2.00pm, one in the city, and one in the uni. As I work in an outpost miles out of town, I'm not too worried about me, just about my home (in the centre) and all my mates. And Mr Bundy of course.

We'll know in an hour or so...
Old Nov 28th 2003, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Larissa
Well, the nearest I got to fame was being on Meridian tonight. It was holocaust day and I was busy scowling at my class who were fidgeting like mad infront of the camera crew. Funny that I'm never stopped in the street after my 2 seconds of fame!
Moment of fame time eh! Mr and Mrs OzT appeared on the national news in Australia the day before this year's Wimbledon final. The club we play at 'back home' is where Mark Philippoussis played and the Premier of Victoria, Steve Bracks, is a club member and lives in Williamstown. So on the Sunday morning camera crews from 7, 9, 10, SBS etc descended on the club to get human interest pieces on Philippoussis. They showed some action on the courts (Mrs OzT playing), interviewed those who could remember Mark*, and interviewed Steve Bracks.

We got talking to him in between filming and he was interested in the fact that we lived in UK, had played at Wimbledon etc so they filmed us talking to him and included it in all the news pieces which we still have on video. He was impressed with Mrs OzT who in reply to his 'who do you think will win' question said Roger Federer and then proceeded to give the reasons why. He remarked on her tipping the following week.

BTW Bracks is a good tennis player and a really smashing person. He comes down the club with his wife, daughter and one of his sons and plays most Sundays - no airs and graces, talks to everyone, has a coffee afterwards across the road with the 'punters'.

OzTennis

* And true funny story which a friend related on the TV. When Mark was practising with the club pro on the court next to friend and someone else, Mark's father, who was supervising, shouted out when he missed a shot - 'if you don't practise that you'll end up like those losers on the next court'!
Old Nov 28th 2003, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And enjoy The Castle if you can get it folks. I've watched it that many times I almost know the script off by heart.

OzTennis
Old Nov 28th 2003, 1:10 pm
She's a bird, you know

Actually, it's quite serious. The university has received a threat of two bombs set to detonate at 2.00pm, one in the city, and one in the uni. As I work in an outpost miles out of town, I'm not too worried about me, just about my home (in the centre) and all my mates. And Mr Bundy of course.

We'll know in an hour or so...
2.10pm and I'm still here...
Old Nov 28th 2003, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bundy,
You're making me nervous! Have they told you whats going on???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.