Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Down Under Program - comments

Down Under Program - comments

Old Nov 28th 2003, 10:46 am
Impressive Member

lostkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interesting programme,

To me it seemed very clear that Xena never had any intention of even giving this experience a chance, let alone intending to live there. Perhaps that intention was not a conscious intention - I guess fear can play funny games with your head. But any way you slice it she let herself and her family down.

You can't tell from a 1 hr programme what kind of relationship they have but I would have expected the husband to push her along a little further - it did appear that either he couldn't see she wasn't happy or chose to ignore it. odd.

I just couldn't believe that the suggestion that she took a trip home for a short time was not made - I'm feeling a bit homesick - lets give up everything we have worked two years for, jack in your job, pull our daughter out of school etc - not just take a "home break"?

I've lived in the UK for 7 years and take a home break on average every 2 years - helps a great deal.

In the end it comes down to being open to change and having courage - unfortunately for all Xena had zero of either.

You have to think that is was a selfish move of hers - her daughter was very happy and clearly living a far better lifestyle - I guess that was not a priority for the mother then?

The interview just capped it all off - unless she is the dumbest person I've ever seen - or she had every intention of fouling that up - sitting with arms folded - not recalling what her last job was (who forgets that?) and her negitive attitude - sorry I just don't buy the idea of that being nerves.
And the driving thing was laughable - you can talk yourself into disliking anything if you try hard enough.

Only shame about the programme I think is that it makes you focus less on the mechanics of the move or what can be gained from a culture/location change but rather makes you focus on how someone can remain closed to it - I want to see open people - whether those kind of people fail or not is far more educational.

ahh that feels better - rant over. :lecture:

Good luck to the family - hope they all reach some clarity one day.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
Reminds me of the bit in The Dish where the band plays Hawaii Five-0 for the American national anthem....
Yep, not bad The Dish, but not a patch on The Castle.

OzTennis
Old Nov 28th 2003, 10:54 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis
Yep, not bad The Dish, but not a patch on The Castle.

OzTennis
That's true. Me and Mr Bundy nearly expired laughing when we went to see The Dish, but nobody else seemed to get it...I still rent it out whenever I need a good belly laugh.

I want to go to Parkes sometime and see the dish itself....nearly made it this trip, but not quite.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

That's true. Me and Mr Bundy nearly expired laughing when we went to see The Dish, but nobody else seemed to get it...I still rent it out whenever I need a good belly laugh.

I want to go to Parkes sometime and see the dish itself....nearly made it this trip, but not quite.
Don't forget to have a game of cricket in the dish when you get there.

OzTennis

P.S. Useless trivia - Kevin Harrington who appeared in The Dish is due to appear soon in Neighbours as Harold Bishop's son. He was also in Sea Change which was quite a good series.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by lostkiwi
Very interesting programme,

To me it seemed very clear that Xena never had any intention of even giving this experience a chance, let alone intending to live there. Perhaps that intention was not a conscious intention - I guess fear can play funny games with your head. But any way you slice it she let herself and her family down.

You can't tell from a 1 hr programme what kind of relationship they have but I would have expected the husband to push her along a little further - it did appear that either he couldn't see she wasn't happy or chose to ignore it. odd.

I just couldn't believe that the suggestion that she took a trip home for a short time was not made - I'm feeling a bit homesick - lets give up everything we have worked two years for, jack in your job, pull our daughter out of school etc - not just take a "home break"?

I've lived in the UK for 7 years and take a home break on average every 2 years - helps a great deal.

In the end it comes down to being open to change and having courage - unfortunately for all Xena had zero of either.

You have to think that is was a selfish move of hers - her daughter was very happy and clearly living a far better lifestyle - I guess that was not a priority for the mother then?

The interview just capped it all off - unless she is the dumbest person I've ever seen - or she had every intention of fouling that up - sitting with arms folded - not recalling what her last job was (who forgets that?) and her negitive attitude - sorry I just don't buy the idea of that being nerves.
And the driving thing was laughable - you can talk yourself into disliking anything if you try hard enough.

Only shame about the programme I think is that it makes you focus less on the mechanics of the move or what can be gained from a culture/location change but rather makes you focus on how someone can remain closed to it - I want to see open people - whether those kind of people fail or not is far more educational.

ahh that feels better - rant over. :lecture:

Good luck to the family - hope they all reach some clarity one day.
Welcome lostkiwi - 1st post. Agree with all you say BTW.

OzTennis
Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:21 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

when they were on rise this morning, the guy it said it was a very fair reflection of what went on, but at the same time, we do have to remember they condensed a lot into 1 hour of telly.

We don't know how many private discussions went on away from the cameras - they jumped very quickly from 'staying' to 'going' to 'staying' to 'going' so it would be unfair to blame the wife completely. At some point they must have made a joint decision.

still, they didn't seem to give it a really good try....
Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:24 am
Badge

Originally posted by jandjuk
when they were on rise this morning, the guy it said it was a very fair reflection of what went on, but at the same time, we do have to remember they condensed a lot into 1 hour of telly.
Indeed. Of course, the TV cameras would have latched on to the wife. In fact, the bloke probably watched it and thought - "no wonder you didn't get any of those jobs". It might well be the first time he saw what really happened. I guess he may be very unhappy. Do these people get a sneak preview?

I think at times he was showing a lot of restraint for the cameras.

Badge

Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:26 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
Indeed. Of course, the TV cameras would have latched on to the wife. In fact, the bloke probably watched it and thought - "no wonder you didn't get any of those jobs". It might well be the first time he saw what really happened. I guess he may be very unhappy. Do these people get a sneak preview?

Badge
I was once in a documentary and we didn't get a sneak preview at all. Which was amusing.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by jandjuk

We don't know how many private discussions went on away from the cameras - they jumped very quickly from 'staying' to 'going' to 'staying' to 'going' so it would be unfair to blame the wife completely. At some point they must have made a joint decision.

still, they didn't seem to give it a really good try....
We're going, we're staying, 4 months is too soon, we'll stick it out another 9 months until daughter finishes her school year, we're going, we're gone. Your right it probably was too condensed and we didn't see the in-between and private bits.

OzTennis
Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:27 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by badgersmount

Badge
I certainly got the feeling that there was a bit of seething going on under the calm exteriors...Personally, I would have had a few more questions to ask if I'd been the hubby.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry guys
We thought that "The Dish" was mildly amusing and interesting, but not full-on belly laugh stuff.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:28 am
Badge

I was once in a documentary and we didn't get a sneak preview at all. Which was amusing.
Yeah - I've been in a few. When I was 17, you saw me in action firing a rifle around the corner of a building, with smoke going off, rounds coming in, then getting a real dressing down for screwing up!!

I ran for cover, and tripped up in the street. You hear nothing but shouting, swearing, camera man out of breath..it was World in Action c1990

Badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Nov 28th 2003 at 11:32 am.

Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:29 am
She's a bird, you know

Out of interest, has this made anyone have second thoughts/recognise themselves/fear the move? Esp those moving lock stock and barrel with their kids in tow.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Larissa
Sorry guys
We thought that "The Dish" was mildly amusing and interesting, but not full-on belly laugh stuff.
Yep, as I said The Castle for that.

OzTennis
Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:30 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Larissa
Sorry guys
Maybe I was just feeling a bit homesick for the aussie sense of humour...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.