Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Down Under Program - comments

Down Under Program - comments

Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

cazz is on a distinguished road

Give her a break, yes she did seem negative from the start and yes she probably could have tried harder but after bring ing your son up for 18 years and then him turning around and leaving, I'm not surprised she was depressed.
We have been planning this move for years now and my son who is also 18 has just got engaged to his girlfriend so yes i know where she is coming from i have cried all the way through this programe because i know that i have to face the same situation in July when we are planning to go. Will he come with us it has been our dream for so long now and i know if we don't go it will be our last oppurtunity. My daughter is 16 and desperate to go so in two years time she would go on her own anyway i hope our son will join us and if not now it will be in the near future. aghhhhhh sorry i have just finished off a bottle of red and the emotions are taking over. sorry if i'm rambling

Cazz
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

koala_mac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount
lol

At worst, in all honesty, it's migrants with attitudes like her that give us all a bad name as "whinging poms". I've said it before, I will say it again - "some people just don't get it", do they?

write out 100 times be POSITIVE POSITIVE POSITIVE. EVERYWHERE. ALL THE TIME.

Sometimes I despair for this country! You wonder how people survive life in general. lol.

Badge

I agree with you 100%. When she was in that cab, going on about how it wasn't like home, and when she was moaning about the driving, I was cringing behind a pillow and all i could think was "you whinging pom".

It struck me that she had done no research, and had no understanding of how the move might affect her. And absolutely no grit. Yes, some of it's going to be hard. Deal with it. Understand why you are there, what your goals are and what it takes to achieve them. I don't think she had considered for a minute why she was going and how she might deal with the difficult parts, like missing family and friends and fitting into a different culture.

It made me think what a valuable resource this site is. THere are some people on here who have had a much, much harder time than her and are still buckling down and going for it. Good on ya! We'll be with you in 2005. (on that note, good luck to donna and chris on their travels. I bet this prog made you feel proud of yourselves.)
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

That was a wierd one - the house and furniture mmmhhhhhh!!!!!
If it wasnt for the daughter going to school there I would have thought they were on a validating trip or long holiday.

She never left the house!!!!
He was loving it
Daughter was having a ball

Next weeks one looks good.

Question:after watching that -would you feel more inclined to go or think twice??
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

I thought that this was probably the best programme of it's type on at the moment and was interesting to see some of the less than ideal situations that could arise.

must agree with everyone else though that she never had any intention of staying and that 4 months simply isn't enough. It was very obvious from the outset that they were living the husbands dream and not hers. Just glad that my husband and children want this move as much as I do.

Sally
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

more inclined.It looked fantastic and they are NOT us.

Cazz , are you leaving everything behind or selling up / shipping ?

I think if you burn your bridges ( to a limit lol ) as you go then you are more inclined to tough out the hardest parts.

Paul
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

An intersting programme, but even without watching any trailers we both predicted they would return for the same reasons lots of you have said.

1) Very strong family links;
2) She basically pleads with hubby at the leaving do for them not to go;
3) Son decides not to stay;
3) House and other worldly goods are all kept available for their return;
4) A very 'British' outlook, she would have been better suited to the Costa del Sol.

She had no intentions of staying and probably wouldn't have done even if her Son had gone. She was too close to her family and friends to make a real go of it.

It is at times like this that I am glad I don't see most of my family!! At least I wont have anyone to miss
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

sashadan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Down Under Program - comments

Originally posted by welshboybilly
what??? the brown eyed mullet

yes mine was the one with the wigely worm sticking out.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:42 pm
Badge

Originally posted by koala_mac
I agree with you 100%. When she was in that cab, going on about how it wasn't like home, and when she was moaning about the driving, I was cringing behind a pillow and all i could think was "you whinging pom".
lol.

I am all for being POSITIVE in life. getting STUCK in. This is an admirable trait for every man and woman everywhere. Some people have it too easy in life. Australians seem to be born with a kind of "***** it lets do it but lets be laid back with it too".

One of the reasons why I am going to Australia is because this is in the Aussie character. I have just begged my fiancee not to be a whinging Pom!!

am i ranting? no. Mrs B is now watching the video and she'll love it, eh?

Badge

Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by koala_mac

It struck me that she had done no research, and had no understanding of how the move might affect her. And absolutely no grit. Yes, some of it's going to be hard. Deal with it. Understand why you are there, what your goals are and what it takes to achieve them. I don't think she had considered for a minute why she was going and how she might deal with the difficult parts, like missing family and friends and fitting into a different culture.

It made me think what a valuable resource this site is. THere are some people on here who have had a much, much harder time than her and are still buckling down and going for it. Good on ya! We'll be with you in 2005. (on that note, good luck to donna and chris on their travels. I bet this prog made you feel proud of yourselves.)
Actually, can I just add to that - pretty gung ho of the husband to take everyone out when 50% of his family were so undecided. She's not the only one who got it wrong
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

cazz is on a distinguished road

Hi Paul,
yes we are selling up if the pound dosn't drop any further we are losing so much more than if we had gone last xmas, but that's another matter. Also heading for Brissie (well sunshine coast.)
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:45 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya tinaj,,

I think you hit it on the head about close relationships.

She never made any relationships with people outside her family group and the husbands work mate.

I think the husband looked so upset at the end in the Uk, the stuffing had been knocked out of him. Poor man!

4 months was more like a long holiday.

An intersting programme though.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by badgersmount
lol.

I am all for being POSITIVE in life. getting STUCK in. This is an admirable trait for every man and woman everywhere.

yay! with you on that one.

Go badge, go badge! *waves pompoms*
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:46 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

Originally posted by scutterUK
it was a great program to see, but i has made me realise how lucky i am to be going on my own!!! i want to go! i don't have to convince anyone else to join in my dream.

the same here mate......only myself to look after and no partner to please and drag me back if she doesnt like it.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:47 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Cazz,

Sent you a pm.

Elaine
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Jacko_22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Down Under Program - comments

Have to say as an Aussie who has done it the other way (well for the past 4 years anyway), I think Zena was setting herself up for the fall before she even got on the plane. As has been mentioned, the house, furniture all left for them coming back. Agree that you need to start with nothing to make the best of whatever situation arises.

It has taken me about 2 years to feel that Edinburgh is my home. To enjoy the city, the people and the weather (well only in the summertime), but I think if I were to have left after 4 months I wouldn't have made the friends I made. had the opportunities I have had with my job, and most of all not married my husband.

You can't expect things to fall in your lap as soon as you get to 'the other side'. It is tough. you will miss family and friends, but as already mentioned on this forum, remember your goals and look forward to the future. You always make new friends, can come back for holidays, and most importantly of all create a new and better life for yourself. That's why you're going int he first place!

Mrs J

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.