Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you expect a "mini UK in Oz" situation?

Do you expect a "mini UK in Oz" situation?

Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:37 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you expect a "mini UK in Oz" situation?

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I guess it depends on whether they, one/two generations on, consider themselves English
Well yea - if you were born and bred here, then you're an aussie - but the Right Honourable Member for the Southern Highlands referred to them as "those who came out on their £10 tickets" ...
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:10 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Why would you not count them as English?
As a rough rule of thumb, I suppose, those who emigrated fifty-odd years ago could be called Australians?

(To back that up, many on this forum are quite vociferous in saying that immigrants of ten or twenty years are AUSTRALIANS - my upper case <g>)
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here for 28 years now - which is far more than half my lifetime. Most of my adult years have been spent here.

After that amount of time I definitely, without doubt, have far more in common with the average Australian than the average Brit.

So whilst I'm not a born and bred Australian - I regard myself as one (more or less ). I'd imagine most of the 10 pound poms would feel much the same.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Think that depends where you live, when we were up noosa the most pretentious aussie pratts you ever met, same in PIL suburb in melbourne, same in mooloolaba, exclusive acerage precinct, even the flippin ride on mowers were in contest if one dickhead upgraded you could bet your touchy next month everyone would have something more flash than most cars. The only neighbour we could stand there was the old grazier up the back, cool guy and had a 3 legged kelpie from the farm they used to own
The acreage areas around here tend to be communities and people who love land and animals more than money so there is none of that loadsofmoney nonsense - even though some are not sort of a buck.

I can well imagine some of that sort of thing happens Jad!
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
I've been here for 28 years now - which is far more than half my lifetime. Most of my adult years have been spent here.

After that amount of time I definitely, without doubt, have far more in common with the average Australian than the average Brit.

So whilst I'm not a born and bred Australian - I regard myself as one (more or less ). I'd imagine most of the 10 pound poms would feel much the same.
My view, Nicky, is, if you've taken out citizenship, WANT to be here, and have been for a while - measured in tens (say), and contribute, then you have every right to call yourself or attribute tastes how you like without being ridiculed. It's a personal thing.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 5:15 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
As a rough rule of thumb, I suppose, those who emigrated fifty-odd years ago could be called Australians?
Originally Posted by NickyC
I definitely, without doubt, have far more in common with the average Australian than the average Brit.
I guess what I was alluding to was the fact that whether you've 'gone native' or not - you've been indelibly shaped by your country of origin and that a British immigrant will *still* find more common touch points with them than a native aussie. Anyway ... wandering off-topic ... I'll move along.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I guess what I was alluding to was the fact that whether you've 'gone native' or not - you've been indelibly shaped by your country of origin and that a British immigrant will *still* find more common touch points with them than a native aussie. Anyway ... wandering off-topic ... I'll move along.
It's almost a nature vs nuture debate!

It depends on what parts of your life were formative. You might have had early adult experiences that might make you lean more to Australia. I should imagine that migration itself would change you.

Most of the teenage movers I have met have been mostly Australian overall, and proud of it, with a kind of detectable British quirkiness which manifests itself occasionally.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 6:48 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
With a kind of detectable British quirkiness which manifests itself occasionally.
You mean happy-slapping, glue-sniffing and chucking trolleys in canals?

Old Oct 29th 2007, 7:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You mean happy-slapping, glue-sniffing and chucking trolleys in canals?

Blimey, I almost missed the old country then Careful, someone will come along and whitter that the UK isn't really like that
Old Oct 29th 2007, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Blimey, I almost missed the old country then Careful, someone will come along and whitter that the UK isn't really like that
another violent night last friday, sums up the culture we have here, I am sure people still beleive we are in 520BC when leaving a pub to get taxi,

must be some genetic disorder bred in the uk, taxi ranks are like battle zones, survival of the fittest.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by on a mission
another violent night last friday, sums up the culture we have here, I am sure people still beleive we are in 520BC when leaving a pub to get taxi,

must be some genetic disorder bred in the uk, taxi ranks are like battle zones, survival of the fittest.
We have mini UK in OZ here then, last 2 friday nights one guy in a coma missing his eye, day thats guys picture and his kid are slapped all over the front page another guy dies in a fight, same nightclub I think.

Probably more piss culture than genetic.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

at least he ended up in hospital, people lay around the streets for hours here, in the poor areas, no police, no paramedics...
Old Oct 29th 2007, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by on a mission
at least he ended up in hospital, people lay around the streets for hours here, in the poor areas, no police, no paramedics...

Oh dear a new yardstick, not dog poo on the streets - bodies

Yes the bodies are picked up much quicker here, this country would never dream of having to have a massive recruitment drive overseas for ambos or nurses or police

I put it down to the local council, not only do they provide dog poo bags on a roll so you can take it home, they now have body bags on a roll pick em up, zip em up, keeps the place well tidy.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 8:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Oh dear a new yardstick, not dog poo on the streets - bodies
Behave
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:05 am
Australia's Doorman

See what I did there? Build it .. and they will come ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.