Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you expect a "mini UK in Oz" situation?

Wikiposts

Do you expect a "mini UK in Oz" situation?

Old Oct 28th 2007, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do you expect a "mini UK in Oz" situation?

Originally Posted by GaryKristensen
After reading many posts on here from seemingly disillusioned expats, complaining about various things in Australia that are not the same as in Britain, I thought I'd ask people if they were expecting the same environment, lifestyle and culture in Australia as they had in the UK.

Many Brits moved (and still move) to Southern Spain and built a "Little Britain" over there. It's the same as the UK but with better weather and governed by Spaniards, albeit in a more relaxed manner than in the UK, such is their culture. It is still Spain though!

Are you hoping for the same, a mini UK in Oz, or do you want to throw away the UK lifestyle and integrate fully into the way Australian's live their lives?

I'm just interested, not trolling, so don't jump down my throat please!!!

Just watch out for the drop bears in toooooowomba, aaeeeyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhh

al
Old Oct 28th 2007, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, but having re-read my second post, it does come across as slightly aggressive, so for that I apologise. In my defence, it was late and I have man flu!!! Lack of sleep in the last 3 days has done my (tiny) brain in obviously.

The original post was a serious question as to why people move to Oz and how they expect to live once they get there as I am genuinely interested. I was genuinely hoping for a different attitude to the Sapnish expats, which I believe has been the case from the answers given.

I've no intention of not helping to give back information to those who ask questions, but we tend to PM people rather than engage on the forum publicly because often innocent meaning comments can be taken out of context. I just said I would not be posting, which I mean't publicly of course! If my wife decides to, then I won't stop her, she does what she wants.

The post someone makes about waiting until we get out there is very, very good and very, very true. No-one has any idea how they'll cope until they are there and doing it. We know that better than most as we've lived a nomadic lifestyle with me being in the Forces for 22 years, moving on average every 3!!! Belize, Northern Ireland, Germany, UK SW, SE and various other places!

The fact is, I don't want anyone to fail in their move to establish a new and (hopefully) better life, it would be great if everyone succeeded.

Good luck and stay happy, focussed and determined.
If you've been in the services for 22 years then you've had a support network wherever you've lived. When you get here you'll have nothing. Beleive me, lots of people (us included) said we wouldn't be friends with just english people but when you get here you'll find that the english people are the people you have something in common with, the aussies are getting on with their lives and have their groups of friends already.
It's not a bad thing to ask for help and this forum is very helpful and we've met some great people through it.
Where we live there's lots of pommies but we all seem to integrate and it certainly isn't a little britain. It'd be great if they built a Tesco's here though as Woolies and Coles aint anywhere near as good :-)
Old Oct 28th 2007, 8:33 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
It'd be great if they built a Tesco's here though as Woolies and Coles aint anywhere near as good :-)
Old Oct 28th 2007, 9:38 am
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

After reading many posts on here from seemingly disillusioned expats, complaining about various things in Australia that are not the same as in Britain, I thought I'd ask people if they were expecting the same environment, lifestyle and culture in Australia as they had in the UK.

Many Brits moved (and still move) to Southern Spain and built a "Little Britain" over there. It's the same as the UK but with better weather and governed by Spaniards, albeit in a more relaxed manner than in the UK, such is their culture. It is still Spain though!

Are you hoping for the same, a mini UK in Oz, or do you want to throw away the UK lifestyle and integrate fully into the way Australian's live their lives?

I'm just interested, not trolling, so don't jump down my throat please!!!
I've not had chance to read everyone's posts on this, but thought I'd add my take on this:

I have been surprised by quite a few posts on this forum of people making comparisons with 'back home' or grumbling about Aussie "this, that and the other"...

My thought is, as someone else has said: "When in Rome..."

I certainly won't be making any comparisons with "back home" when I get to Aus, as Aus will be my home! Althought I'm sure I'll still make comparisons with "back in the UK", but any differences I will accept, as they will be part of the new life I have chosen.

I'll never put the UK down - but my only concern with a move to Aus is the number of Brits moving there - I don't want to see it turning out like the UK.

I certainly can't wait to be Aussie!
Old Oct 28th 2007, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, but having re-read my second post, it does come across as slightly aggressive, so for that I apologise. In my defence, it was late and I have man flu!!! Lack of sleep in the last 3 days has done my (tiny) brain in obviously.

The original post was a serious question as to why people move to Oz and how they expect to live once they get there as I am genuinely interested. I was genuinely hoping for a different attitude to the Sapnish expats, which I believe has been the case from the answers given.

I've no intention of not helping to give back information to those who ask questions, but we tend to PM people rather than engage on the forum publicly because often innocent meaning comments can be taken out of context. I just said I would not be posting, which I mean't publicly of course! If my wife decides to, then I won't stop her, she does what she wants.

The post someone makes about waiting until we get out there is very, very good and very, very true. No-one has any idea how they'll cope until they are there and doing it. We know that better than most as we've lived a nomadic lifestyle with me being in the Forces for 22 years, moving on average every 3!!! Belize, Northern Ireland, Germany, UK SW, SE and various other places!

The fact is, I don't want anyone to fail in their move to establish a new and (hopefully) better life, it would be great if everyone succeeded.

Good luck and stay happy, focussed and determined.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:03 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate
I've not had chance to read everyone's posts on this, but thought I'd add my take on this:

I have been surprised by quite a few posts on this forum of people making comparisons with 'back home' or grumbling about Aussie "this, that and the other"...

My thought is, as someone else has said: "When in Rome..."

I certainly won't be making any comparisons with "back home" when I get to Aus, as Aus will be my home! Althought I'm sure I'll still make comparisons with "back in the UK", but any differences I will accept, as they will be part of the new life I have chosen.

I'll never put the UK down - but my only concern with a move to Aus is the number of Brits moving there - I don't want to see it turning out like the UK.

I certainly can't wait to be Aussie!

Aside from the pre poulated areas within Australia that have been Britified...

The only poms you will generally run into are purely chance.

And to be fair, a lot of poms, have tried and are trying to bring with them a CLASS system. Which is really rather friggin annoying. When in reality, Australians dont give a rats arse, about how cool your car is, what postcode your in, or how much you earn.

In Australia, its about Mateship.. and as long as you are prepared to be unbiassed, and accept everything around you , whilst you dont have to agree with or like certain aspects, you will certainly succeed.

You do however find, some poms, have an air of arrogance about them. I am sure this isnt a trait they are aware of, but manifests itself, because of various reasons... for which i dont really know.. this is also true of any nation living here...

You cannot help, comparing, with what you know, and at times, you need a phrase book, to get across everyday terms you would use in the uk..

It isnt easy, but its about the BANTER. If you are confident, and willing to laugh at yourself, then you will be accepted, and respected.

Steve
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

In Australia, its about Mateship.. and as long as you are prepared to be unbiassed, and accept everything around you , whilst you dont have to agree with or like certain aspects, you will certainly succeed.

Steve
Think that depends where you live, when we were up noosa the most pretentious aussie pratts you ever met, same in PIL suburb in melbourne, same in mooloolaba, exclusive acerage precinct, even the flippin ride on mowers were in contest if one dickhead upgraded you could bet your touchy next month everyone would have something more flash than most cars. The only neighbour we could stand there was the old grazier up the back, cool guy and had a 3 legged kelpie from the farm they used to own
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:19 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Think that depends where you live, when we were up noosa the most pretentious aussie pratts you ever met, same in PIL suburb in melbourne, same in mooloolaba, exclusive acerage precinct, even the flippin ride on mowers were in contest if one dickhead upgraded you could bet your touchy next month everyone would have something more flash than most cars. The only neighbour we could stand there was the old grazier up the back, cool guy and had a 3 legged kelpie from the farm they used to own

Uh Huh i agree.. but I was being general.. in answering a general question.

As far as mowers go, funniest i have seen was a push petrol mower, and guy had it strapped to back of a golf buggy, and was towing and mowing...

As in the uk, give me a council estate anytime, ( to work in ) ... grounded people, straight and you really can have a banter.

Mind you, was working in Marsden.. and went to switch drill on, wasnt working, walked round corner and some prick had robbed by extension lead !!
Old Oct 28th 2007, 11:43 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

I thought I would not expect the UK-in-Oz situation, especially after reading that it was a common pitfall for emigrating Brits & also thinking I was fantastically open-minded etc. However, I found there are some little things that niggle me, like availabitily of certain foods - but whether that's cos I expect it to be a Little Britain or just cos I'm fussy I'm not sure. As someone has pointed out, different things will get to different people & sometimes it is the constant effect & cumulation of lots of little things rather than one or two big things that "break" people.

Unless you are very self-aware it is impossible to tell how it will be for you until you experience it yourself, but there is no harm in talking around the subject. It's a bit like how no-one can tell you what having kids will do to your life, or the question what came before the Big Bang!
Old Oct 28th 2007, 11:44 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JustBecause
It's a bit like how no-one can tell you what having kids will do to your life, or the question what came before the Big Bang!
That's the same question, innit?
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate
See how you feel when you get here.

We came out with the same attitude, but it only really felt like home when we moved into our own place and out of rentals (14 months after we moved out here), then with how I've been feeling after our baby was born, missing family and things going nowhere with OHs electrical stuff and him being miserable at work I actually said to him one day a couple of weeks ago "WTF is it all about? I want to go home!". (thankfully this was just a "wobble"!!)

Like Kevin Bloomfield said, it is not always that easy to get to know the locals, they have their friends and a lot of the time they are not interested in making any more. And it's not just immigrants or Poms this refers to, a good friend of mine who was born and raised in WA moved to Bunbury from Perth and found it really hard too. I think we all just imagine we'll have a BBQ, invite loads of Aussies and suddenly we've got loads of friends, but although you might make a lot of acquaintances it is not so easy to make people you would consider actual friends.

I think emigrating is a bit like having children: you spend years watching other people raise theirs thinking "I will never do that/let them get away with that" but when you have one of your own you realise that actually, yes, you just might!
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:32 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
That's the same question, innit?
Quick: *very* quick <g>
Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
See how you feel when you get here.

We came out with the same attitude, but it only really felt like home when we moved into our own place and out of rentals (14 months after we moved out here), then with how I've been feeling after our baby was born, missing family and things going nowhere with OHs electrical stuff and him being miserable at work I actually said to him one day a couple of weeks ago "WTF is it all about? I want to go home!". (thankfully this was just a "wobble"!!)

Like Kevin Bloomfield said, it is not always that easy to get to know the locals, they have their friends and a lot of the time they are not interested in making any more. And it's not just immigrants or Poms this refers to, a good friend of mine who was born and raised in WA moved to Bunbury from Perth and found it really hard too. I think we all just imagine we'll have a BBQ, invite loads of Aussies and suddenly we've got loads of friends, but although you might make a lot of acquaintances it is not so easy to make people you would consider actual friends.

I think emigrating is a bit like having children: you spend years watching other people raise theirs thinking "I will never do that/let them get away with that" but when you have one of your own you realise that actually, yes, you just might!
And I bet you Simon.and.Kate will make comparisons, I've yet to meet an immigrant that doesn't and that includes pommies, kiwis and all of the aussies from different states that congregate up here. It's human nature and I don't see a problem with it.
If you want to integrate with only aussies then the best thing to do is to live maybe 500km's inland from the Coast, not too many immigrants out there.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:54 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
none English (Unless you count those who came out on their £10 tickets an age ago).
Why would you not count them as English?
Old Oct 28th 2007, 3:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Why would you not count them as English?
I guess it depends on whether they, one/two generations on, consider themselves English

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.