Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you expect a "mini UK in Oz" situation?

Wikiposts

Do you expect a "mini UK in Oz" situation?

Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:43 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you expect a "mini UK in Oz" situation?

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Let's just see what happens when they arrive :-)
ooer lol !!!

< cant wait
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:50 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GaryKristensen
What I was alluding to was that if people had done their research into the Australian environment, culture and lifestyle before taking the plunge to move "down under" and then prepared themselves to fully integrate into the Australian way of life, these things would surely be less if a shock or hard to swallow? Seeing as the process takes so long and costs so much, is it not practical to know what you're going into?
I think as you will find in a few days time that research all you like but the reality will be different. We researched loads - have even had long trips here twice but still have found some things different from what we expected. We too hated the idea of the 'Expat' thing but depending on where you are you may find the locals have better things to do that give yet another newcomer advice on the local shops.

I'm finding getting to know Australians born and bred around Brisbane is taking some time! Finding it easier to meet Australians that have moved around a bit and Kiwis and even easier to meet and get on with Brits. The best thing is to come with an open mind and meet people based on whether you get on with them rather than where they are from. The odd visit to a British shop doesn't mean you're not integrating - its just a stop gap until you find an Aussie Butcher whose sausages you like.

We really love it here and the research we did has helped a lot - but there's nothing like doing it for real.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You can research from the UK till the cows come home. Living here is very different - whether good or bad. I'm happy that you believe that once here you won't bother with Expats. I really hope you don't need it but most people once here feel the need to repay all the help they've had by trying to help others who are now in the early days of getting the visa etc. How would it be if as soon as someone arrived they stopped posting? Where would someone like you get all their up to date specific advice about stuff?

Also, you seem to assume (forgive me if I get this bit wrong) that unhappy people haven't done their homework. Not the case. If their lives don't pan out as they expected and they don't have a close network of people to discuss their problems with, BE is the only place left to talk to people.

Don't knock it till you've done it please.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice
Wink Re: Do you expect a "mini UK in Oz" situation?

i think anyone can that can get up and can leave their family and friends behind are sureley strong enough to deal with anything thats thrown at them whatever part of the world they're in???
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bev1
i think anyone can that can get up and can leave their family and friends behind are sureley strong enough to deal with anything thats thrown at them whatever part of the world they're in???
No! Many return for this reason.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 12:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bev1
No. Different things "break" different people. You may struggle to leave family and friends but deal with it. Get to wherever and spend six months looking for work and not finding it. You may get off the plane and for whatever reason your gut instinct tells you to get the ***** back on the plane regardless of how many times you have holidayed there before. You may think you love the heat (after your two week hols to Spain), get here and just not be able to cope with it on a daily basis. If somethings don't go quite right, the smallest, insignificant stuff becomes huge and you feel you are dying. All this has happened to the strongest of people who may even have lived abroad for years in other places.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
No. Different things "break" different people. You may struggle to leave family and friends but deal with it. Get to wherever and spend six months looking for work and not finding it. You may get off the plane and for whatever reason your gut instinct tells you to get the ***** back on the plane regardless of how many times you have holidayed there before. You may think you love the heat (after your two week hols to Spain), get here and just not be able to cope with it on a daily basis. If somethings don't go quite right, the smallest, insignificant stuff becomes huge and you feel you are dying. All this has happened to the strongest of people who may even have lived abroad for years in other places.
Well said moneypen, it's not only British people compare things to their country, everybody does, I see people from my country here & they compare things, its not always as easy to say I do it differently to all of you, it just doesn’t happen that way.
If you have problem, isn’t it good idea to ask people who have been in your situation, rather than ask somebody who have never even left the State they live in, they might just not know, or want to help you.
I hear new migrant come from UK, & they say my son/daughter say's there is no way I'm going back to year 6, I was in year 7 I'm not going to repeat that year, don’t their parents talk to them, we haven’t moved from Manchester to London, so for you to be in the same year. They move to a different country, or should I say you are in a different continent.

We were no different to the new migrants, we did say most of the things most people say, but if you want to have a good easy life its good to ask for help, I find people on BE extremely helpful.

Last edited by chris and farideh; Oct 27th 2007 at 2:05 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 1:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly won't be posting about how the price of broadband really annoys me, or how I can't buy my alcohol in the same supermarket as my food "like in the UK"!!!
:
You might regret that statement!

And just remember -if it wasn't for those of us that have come here and are still posting - how would anyone back home get the slightest idea of what life is like?
Old Oct 27th 2007, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

And just remember -if it wasn't for those of us that have come here and are still posting - how would anyone back home get the slightest idea of what life is like?

Maybe we should all go on strike for a few days, see how much info the peeps wanting to come over find out then
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:00 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Does taste a little like...

I will take information but not return any information...

Kinda annoys me how some people dont join in with the spirit of BE
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

i agree with the other posters, no matter how happy you may be in your new life you will always have "down" days and look back with your rose tints at some aspect of the life you left behind...

took two years and the birth of our first baby to happen to me - prior to that had never had one single homesick moment....

before we came we always said "we wont be those poms who only stick with other english folk" and to a certain extent we are not, we live in a mainly Aus area with few British, we have Aussie friends BUT the majority of our friends are from the UK, most of which have arrived since we have been here. we all help and support each other, and sometimes it is just easier to talk to people who have been through exactly the same process and know how hard it is, plus they "get" certain bits of humour that Aussies just dont.

point of my post is, it is very easy to sit there in the UK looking forward to arrived in Oz and saying "we wont do this, that the other" but the reality is you probably will - and there is nothing wrong in that.

i totally agree with the sentiment "when in Rome" but i also think go with the flow as well...
Old Oct 27th 2007, 4:15 pm
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Real issues are good, but did you used to post your feelings about such things on a forum while you were in the UK?

Once we are in Oz in 19 days time, using BE will be the last thing on my mind, though my better half will probably still look in on it. If I want advice about buying food, I'll ask my neighbour. If I want advice about broadband, I'll ask two neighbours! Surely it is better to get it from those who live locally than an arbitrary and potentially anonymous expat?

I certainly won't be posting about how the price of broadband really annoys me, or how I can't buy my alcohol in the same supermarket as my food "like in the UK"!!!

What I was alluding to was that if people had done their research into the Australian environment, culture and lifestyle before taking the plunge to move "down under" and then prepared themselves to fully integrate into the Australian way of life, these things would surely be less if a shock or hard to swallow? Seeing as the process takes so long and costs so much, is it not practical to know what you're going into?

The last thing I want is for us as a family to be classed the same as some of the migrant families who are coming into the UK presently, forming their own areas and societies, segragating their children from ours and requiring special services just to exist in the UK, when really they should be doing their best to fully integrate themselves, while still being allowed to uphold their culture, religion and beliefs.

I don't want to be a special case, I want to live like everyone else, pay my dues, get on with enjoying life and soak up the sun. I may well be called a "Whinging Pom" for ever more, but I want it to be a term of endearment or light hearted banter, rather than what people really think about me.

The first reply summed it up:

"When in Rome......."

Nice one
Interestingly I had never heard of this forum until I had been living here for 5 months so never had the benefit of it's 'wisdom' pre-migration. I had lived in Aus. for 2 years in my 'yoof' before I permanently migrated and thought I was pretty much prepared for what lay ahead but things still surprise me.
I enjoy BE for a number of reasons. I love reading people's stories and experiences, happy, sad or informative. Occasionally I'll offer advice or support if I feel wellplaced to do so. I enjoy the often nonsense exhanges between like minded people and sometimes I'll learn something new.
I don't live in a pommie stronghold, my aussie friends out number my english ones ten to one and I feel well integrated into my new aussie lifestyle. Personally I think you're mad to criticise a forum that provides a lot of people with information, support and 'entertainment' . Complemented by external resources BE provides a great service.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 4:25 pm
skye

I lived and breathed this site prior to us coming out here.... the information I gained for our immigration was second to none - everyone is so helpful and you get answers to help you...

We have been here three months and love it, our neighbours say Hi (or G'day) but thats it... We have found our own path in life now, but saying that we still come on here for help and advice. - we have been quiet on this site as we have been so busy but now we are also showing our friends both in the UK and those that have come out too (we work for Queensland ambo) how they can get advice and integrate into the new way of life here.

This country is so diverse its what you make it.... we made the right choice so far!....

Old Oct 27th 2007, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

After reading many posts on here from seemingly disillusioned expats, complaining about various things in Australia that are not the same as in Britain, I thought I'd ask people if they were expecting the same environment, lifestyle and culture in Australia as they had in the UK.
You must have taken a peek at the MBTTUK forum. That's an awful place for anyone thinking of moving out here.

One thing I found that was a real pleasure was that the Australians are not great dog lovers. I know the laws are stricter about clearing up your dogs mess but the cleanliness and lack of dog shit is very welcome. If expats think they can come over here with their dogs and let them crap everywhere expecting it to be like home they should take note.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NedKelly
You must have taken a peek at the MBTTUK forum. That's an awful place for anyone thinking of moving out here.

One thing I found that was a real pleasure was that the Australians are not great dog lovers. I know the laws are stricter about clearing up your dogs mess but the cleanliness and lack of dog shit is very welcome. If expats think they can come over here with their dogs and let them crap everywhere expecting it to be like home they should take note.
The original poster, has some good points, although a bit niave too.

I understand once there , you need to get on with matters, and maybe being active whilst in the UK on the BE site is a way of feeling like you are there...still think even there its a good source to meet people, get fustration out, or even ask the silliest of questions.

What I can say is the MBTUK, is a awful place, as I believe all that does is wind each other up into going home. Someone posts and before you know you have everyone convinced, and a great bagging session starts, about food, areas, schools, or whatever.. its almost suicidle in some parts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.