Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you expect a "mini UK in Oz" situation?

Do you expect a "mini UK in Oz" situation?

Old Oct 27th 2007, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

GaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really nice
Default Do you expect a "mini UK in Oz" situation?

After reading many posts on here from seemingly disillusioned expats, complaining about various things in Australia that are not the same as in Britain, I thought I'd ask people if they were expecting the same environment, lifestyle and culture in Australia as they had in the UK.

Many Brits moved (and still move) to Southern Spain and built a "Little Britain" over there. It's the same as the UK but with better weather and governed by Spaniards, albeit in a more relaxed manner than in the UK, such is their culture. It is still Spain though!

Are you hoping for the same, a mini UK in Oz, or do you want to throw away the UK lifestyle and integrate fully into the way Australian's live their lives?

I'm just interested, not trolling, so don't jump down my throat please!!!
Old Oct 27th 2007, 10:05 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you expect a "mini UK in Oz" situation?

Originally Posted by GaryKristensen
After reading many posts on here from seemingly disillusioned expats, complaining about various things in Australia that are not the same as in Britain, I thought I'd ask people if they were expecting the same environment, lifestyle and culture in Australia as they had in the UK.

Many Brits moved (and still move) to Southern Spain and built a "Little Britain" over there. It's the same as the UK but with better weather and governed by Spaniards, albeit in a more relaxed manner than in the UK, such is their culture. It is still Spain though!

Are you hoping for the same, a mini UK in Oz, or do you want to throw away the UK lifestyle and integrate fully into the way Australian's live their lives?

I'm just interested, not trolling, so don't jump down my throat please!!!

i am of the opinion "when in rome"
so ive taken to drinking a couple of cold ones the minute i get in from work

you have to intergrate
Old Oct 27th 2007, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

After reading many posts on here from seemingly disillusioned expats, complaining about various things in Australia

People discussing what its really like are not 'dissullusioned' or looking for 'little Uk'. They are already living the real aussie way of life and as such have got stuck into it and found like anywhere its has its ups and downs.

When these discussions might not go down well with some prospective immigrants - topics like workplace reform, housing prices, cost of living etc etc they are a reality of daily life here and would be discussed by australians just as much as by immigrants.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

GaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really nice

Originally Posted by jad n rich
People discussing what its really like are not 'dissullusioned' or looking for 'little Uk'. They are already living the real aussie way of life and as such have got stuck into it and found like anywhere its has its ups and downs.

When these discussions might not go down well with some prospective immigrants - topics like workplace reform, housing prices, cost of living etc etc they are a reality of daily life here and would be discussed by australians just as much as by immigrants.
Real issues are good, but did you used to post your feelings about such things on a forum while you were in the UK?

Once we are in Oz in 19 days time, using BE will be the last thing on my mind, though my better half will probably still look in on it. If I want advice about buying food, I'll ask my neighbour. If I want advice about broadband, I'll ask two neighbours! Surely it is better to get it from those who live locally than an arbitrary and potentially anonymous expat?

I certainly won't be posting about how the price of broadband really annoys me, or how I can't buy my alcohol in the same supermarket as my food "like in the UK"!!!

What I was alluding to was that if people had done their research into the Australian environment, culture and lifestyle before taking the plunge to move "down under" and then prepared themselves to fully integrate into the Australian way of life, these things would surely be less if a shock or hard to swallow? Seeing as the process takes so long and costs so much, is it not practical to know what you're going into?

The last thing I want is for us as a family to be classed the same as some of the migrant families who are coming into the UK presently, forming their own areas and societies, segragating their children from ours and requiring special services just to exist in the UK, when really they should be doing their best to fully integrate themselves, while still being allowed to uphold their culture, religion and beliefs.

I don't want to be a special case, I want to live like everyone else, pay my dues, get on with enjoying life and soak up the sun. I may well be called a "Whinging Pom" for ever more, but I want it to be a term of endearment or light hearted banter, rather than what people really think about me.

The first reply summed it up:

"When in Rome......."

Nice one
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:02 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

If I want advice about buying food, I'll ask my neighbour. If I want advice about broadband, I'll ask two neighbours!

What I was alluding to was that if people had done their research into the Australian environment, culture and lifestyle before taking the plunge to move "down under" and then prepared themselves to fully integrate into the Australian way of life, these things would surely be less if a shock or hard to swallow? Seeing as the process takes so long and costs so much, is it not practical to know what you're going into?
Surely if you had done your research, you wouldnt be asking a neighbour?

You place more trust in a annonymous neighbour, than someone you may have been chatting with online, on here?

Why use a British Forum , named EXPATS then?

Why not find a forum, called, erm.. I did it my way [dot] com

We found as you aspire, that we integrated seemlessly into Aussie Life..
However, pre move info, we gained on here was informative, and taken at face value.

I am sure after you have moved to Oz, and have "integrated" you will have no further need to use this forum, unless of course... you need specific advice, that your , Tasmanian / Phillipino / Greek neighbour cant help you with...
Least you will be aware of Milk prices

Wake up mate, Australia is a diverse country, with a plethora of multi cultural communities.

This forum, isnt a This is the Answer / This is Crap / Do this / Dont do that Forum ! Its a chat forum, where you can actually INPUT some help and advice, for other less, confident migrants
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=GaryKristensen;5477020]

I certainly won't be posting about how the price of broadband really annoys me, or how I can't buy my alcohol in the same supermarket as my food "like in the UK"!!!

What I was alluding to was that if people had done their research into the Australian environment, culture and lifestyle before taking the plunge to move "down under" QUOTE)

But isnt that the point of the forum, broadband and other topics were discussed because someone ASKED about it, someone was trying to find out and somone in Australia answered.

Last edited by jad n rich; Oct 27th 2007 at 11:11 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The last thing I want is for us as a family to be classed the same as some of the migrant families who are coming into the UK presently, forming their own areas and societies, segragating their children from ours and requiring services

You'll be OK just change UK and insert NORFF something or ther
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I think some people DO expect it. Or rather, they have very little idea about living in another place. They are very unprepared or are ill-equipped.

To me, it makes no odds what the country is. You have to deal with things the way people do.

cheers

B
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Real issues are good, but did you used to post your feelings about such things on a forum while you were in the UK?
Moving on to this: as aposed to Little England. You can have this viewpoint without people queing up to be defensive about some sort of "reality''.

He has a point.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Here here.

When in Rome i agree, but why not nip on expats if you need to know something, or ask your neighbour...... up to you. but i thought that was a little insensitive to all the expats who you obviously engage with. i can see what you were trying to say but i little thought before the writing would've been good.. S-j x
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe
Here here.

When in Rome i agree, but why not nip on expats if you need to know something, or ask your neighbour...... up to you. but i thought that was a little insensitive to all the expats who you obviously engage with. i can see what you were trying to say but i little thought before the writing would've been good.. S-j x

Sorry if i saw something in your post that wasn't there...... it's late.....
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:31 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Moving on to this: as aposed to Little England. You can have this viewpoint without people queing up to be defensive about some sort of "reality''.

He has a point.
He does have a point, and I am sure he is aware of this...

But not all of us, can do it on our own..

Some people do need the stability of familiarity.

That doesnt make it wrong, weak or un-aussie

It makes them human, vulnerable, and possibly trying their darnest to integrate and adapt to a Brand New Country
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:33 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

You can do as much research as you like prior to arriving but once you feet hit the ground here you may find it`s not exactly as you envisaged it and that the research needs to be ongoing even after you arrive. Integrating may be easier in some areas than others (we haven`t had any problems so far but that doesn`t mean we won`t in the future and I have a couple of Australian friends as well as new POms like ourselves and others who`ve been here 20 + years) You take advice and friendship where it`s offered and when you find it, don`t waste time analyzing it.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Let's just see what happens when they arrive :-)
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:42 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Let's just see what happens when they arrive :-)
absolutely

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.