Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Desperate in Perth

Desperate in Perth

Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

offski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really nice
Default Re: Desperate in Perth

Thanks Bermuda for that.

I will certainly look more into it and speak with my agent again.
It sounds like I cant go on a tourist visa and look for work or sponsor.

The only other thing I wasnt sure about was that my agent was calling it an electronic visa ( I think ).
Is that something different from the normal tourist visa.

As far as I am aware the Agent is a good and trustworthy agent and hope he is giving me good advice.

My trade doesnt need a license or anything.
I have 19 years experience and well trained in my profession but changed my job 3 years ago but can still work under my trade of mechanic.

It is just I cant apply for a skilled or a perm visa because I havent worked 12 months in the last 24 in the trade and require someone to sponsor me so I can get a 457.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Do any of you people ever watch Border Security (Nothing to Declare), anytime someone is caught with Certificates & Qualifications or any sort of paperwork on their person while on a tourist visa by customs they are given the 3rd degree.

This often results in cancellation of their tourist visa, have yet to see anyone claiming to be looking for sponsorship as an excuse.

Your agent probably told you do go ahead and look for sponsorship

a) Its your neck not his
b) He knows you have no hope of finding a sponsor unless you do so, and on the very slight off chance you do find something he will want your business.

In the eyes of DIAC the difference between looking for work and actually working is that you just haven't been lucky yet.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

offski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really nice

I have watched border security a few times but never seen anyone getting pulled up for looking for work.

You are all correct in saying that I can not travel to Auz on a tourist visa and look for work or for a sponsor.

He certainly didnt warn me that it was my neck and not his.

I may have picked him up wrong on what kind of visa I should go on because there is also a Buisness visa that allows me to travel to oz for 90 days in order to have meetings with companies.

I certainly wont be travelling on a tourist visa if I am doing something ilegal and putting my application in jepardy.

Thanks for all the input on this matter I have taking all points on board and will speak with my agent again.

Best wishes.
Gordon
Old Oct 11th 2010, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

vinnybow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It is not up to Australian government officials to be giving immigration advice. They quite often get it wrong as it is not their job. If you want to know how to apply for a visa you should be speaking to a MARA registered migration agent who will be up to date with the laws surrounding immigration. The people you speak to at DIAC, either over the counter or on the phone are not.

As Bermudashorts says, if you don't want opinions you should perhaps not post your questions on an open internet forum. She was also correct that I am not adverse to others having the same opportunities we had. What I am opposed to is people who do not follow the legal way of doing things. Tourist visas are for tourists, not for families to move permanently to Australia on.

Almost forgot to ask, what did this friendly Australian Immigration official advise you to say on your landing card as your purpose of your trip? Did he or she advise you to tell the truth that you were migrating or lie and say you're here as tourists?
are you president of the local neighbourhood watch
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:31 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

The other point worth condsidering is that on the off chance you were of interest to an employer, unless they have sponsored before and understand the process (and the costs) it would usually take longer than the time left on your visa to process the 457.

Just another note - is the requirement for a 175/176 only 12 months out of 24 months work experience? If it is (and not 3 years on the last 4 - which I've seen quoted elsewhere) why don't you go back and be a mechanic for a year/

Then you can apply for a Perm Visa and there's no risks etc.

Just my 2cents worth!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tking
The other point worth condsidering is that on the off chance you were of interest to an employer, unless they have sponsored before and understand the process (and the costs) it would usually take longer than the time left on your visa to process the 457.

Just another note - is the requirement for a 175/176 only 12 months out of 24 months work experience? If it is (and not 3 years on the last 4 - which I've seen quoted elsewhere) why don't you go back and be a mechanic for a year/

Then you can apply for a Perm Visa and there's no risks etc.

Just my 2cents worth!
Good points well made tking and I did consider going back into my trade for 12 months and then apply for perm visa but my only problem with that is a serious lack of work in my area. I live in the SW of Scotland and to get back into my trade would prob consist of me travelling 80-90 miles to the Glasgow area. That’s why I made the decision to go from the mechanical trade to BT engineer.

A heavy goods mechanic is a trade that is still high up in the list of skilled trades required in Australia and especially WA and I have been told by many people inc other emigration agencies that most companies would be glad of workers of my experience.
The company only has to offer a sponsor in writing to my agent and he does all the paperwork not the company, I would also be grateful to help out with any costs occurred to the company.

But as I said earlier I certainly wont be travelling out on a tourist visa trying to look for work or a sponsor and will have to speak to him again in the morning to see what kind of visa he was referring to as I feel it is a good reputable company and hope he has not given me bad advice.
Probe won’t be the first time.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vinnybow
are you president of the local neighbourhood watch
Is that a genuine question? Seems a little off topic if so.

If you are being funny then why is it that of all the responses on the thread, you feel the need to be sarcastic about one that offers advice on the legitimate way to do things? Seriosuly, why not have a go at somebody who encourages others to commit visa fraud and risk being banend from Australia.

I post a lot on immigraiton questions and I also choose not to offer advice on how I think somebody could break and bend the rules. This is my choice and I don't expect to be criticised for it.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by offski
I have watched border security a few times but never seen anyone getting pulled up for looking for work.
Week just gone here, a group of Malaysian 'tourists' landed, were pulled over, the Immi officials went through their bags, found a going away card that mentioned fruit picking, looked through the lady's USB stick in great detail and found documents on how to become a fruit picker and some other info. That was enough to get them all turned round, visas cancelled back to Malaysia and no return for years.......

Been a few recently.........
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:13 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

What a load of bullshit. There are over 500 000 illegals in this country to say that everyone who goes in on a tourist visa gets caught is just garbage.

People on this forum should get off there high horse. Many of you came into Australia when almost anyone could of got in. obviously now the boom boat is over and the government has tightened immigration up especially for many of the professions that Brits are coming out here on.

I'm sure many people previously have come out here and secured work on a tourist visa. It's the only way in for many people wanting a work permit for the states so why should Australia be any different.

I suspect that many people on this forum would struggle to get in to Australia under the new immigration regulations.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Plenty of examples on Border Sercuity, seems to be that even being currently unemployed is enough grounds to be refused entry.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:17 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Oh please Australians tourism industry is soo down in the dumps right now anyone who has got money will get let in.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
What a load of bullshit. There are over 500 000 illegals in this country to say that everyone who goes in on a tourist visa gets caught is just garbage.

People on this forum should get off there high horse. Many of you came into Australia when almost anyone could of got in. obviously now the boom boat is over and the government has tightened immigration up especially for many of the professions that Brits are coming out here on.

I'm sure many people previously have come out here and secured work on a tourist visa. It's the only way in for many people wanting a work permit for the states so why should Australia be any different.

I suspect that many people on this forum would struggle to get in to Australia under the new immigration regulations.
I know there are a lot of illegals immigrants in USA, I would love to live in the USA, but I have no desire to be an illegal immigrant. Your argument that it is OK because others do it is absurd. One person on this thread has specifically said they want to know what is the legitimate pathway. Some people don't want to break the rules. Others don't want to advise others to break the rules.

It is nothing to do with being on a high horse. That is a ridiculous statement in fact, do you think everybody that abides by the law is on a high horse?

I expect that there are some people on this forum who would struggle now because their occupations have been removed from the list, but you have no basis for suggesting that *many* people would struggle. Unless you have carried out surveys around what occupations BE members are in.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
What a load of bullshit. There are over 500 000 illegals in this country to say that everyone who goes in on a tourist visa gets caught is just garbage. Who has said that everyone gets caught? Of course they don't, but it's a risk.

People on this forum should get off there high horse. Many of you came into Australia when almost anyone could of got in. obviously now the boom boat is over and the government has tightened immigration up especially for many of the professions that Brits are coming out here on. Which is the point of the whole thread I think! It is no longer as easy and skirting the official channels could end in heartache.......
I personally am married to an Aussie so I luckily never had to go down the skilled visa/457 route. I did however, have to prove after 16 years, a marriage and 2 children that ours was a lasting relationship -including dates for every stage of our relationship, photos at Uni, parties etc. and the many pages of forms which I happily went through to get my spouse visa. I am naturally a cautious scaredy cat so the thought of coming over with my whole family on the off chance of getting a sponsor is too much for me! But we are all entitled to our own opinions....
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Time for some facts.

It is not illegal to arrive on a tourist visa and look for a sponsor whilst on holiday here. Just be aware that the purpose of the evisitor/tourist visa is for a holiday, any visits to potential sponsors are incidental to that purpose. You need to be able to tell Immigration when they ask (and fill in the pax card on arrival) that your intention is to holiday here.

It is not illegal if you arrive intending to have a holiday before your 457 is granted, and then you change to that visa when it is granted, before starting work. Just tell your case officer that is what you intend to do. Many 457s are granted only just before the start date leaving little time for travel. You just need to realise if it is not granted for some reason, you will have to leave the country.

It is very risky to arrive on a tourist visa with the hope and intention of finding a sponsor and remaining here, purely because if Immigration ask whether you intend to leave again, as a tourist you should say yes - and mean it. If they don't believe you then they can refuse you entry. It is even more risky if you burn all your bridges at home before following this path as if you don't find a sponsor and your tourist visa expires, you will have to leave. Not a recommended scenario especially with a family, but some people are willing to risk it and that's their choice. Equally in many cases you would need to return home in order to apply for the visa once a sponsor or job has been found.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Time for some facts.

It is not illegal to arrive on a tourist visa and look for a sponsor whilst on holiday here. Just be aware that the purpose of the evisitor/tourist visa is for a holiday, any visits to potential sponsors are incidental to that purpose. You need to be able to tell Immigration when they ask (and fill in the pax card on arrival) that your intention is to holiday here.
It is however illegal to arrive on a tourist visa with the intention of living in Australia. Tourist visas are for tourists. Business short stay visas are for people who wish to come looking for jobs and attend interviews. If one is coming on a tourist visa to secure a sponsor then they cannot truthfully say on their landing card that they are here for holidays.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.