Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Desperate in Perth

Desperate in Perth

Old Oct 14th 2010, 4:44 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate in Perth

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It is NOT illegal to LOOK for work while on a tourist visa. It IS illegal to actually work. There is a huge difference.
I'm sure it was NOT necessary to SHOUT while posting YOUR view.

What I have been told by a migration agent here in Perth is that tourist visas are for tourism and if people wish to come to look for work they should apply for the business short stay visa. I'm only passing on the information given to me. If it contradicts what others have been told then so be it.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I'm sure it was NOT necessary to SHOUT while posting YOUR view.

What I have been told by a migration agent here in Perth is that tourist visas are for tourism and if people wish to come to look for work they should apply for the business short stay visa. I'm only passing on the information given to me. If it contradicts what others have been told then so be it.
It wasn't for shouting, its for emphasis on those particuklar words, I can do it in bold if you prefer that. In addition this is not my view, its what I have been told by migration agents - presumably different ones from those you have talked to
I don't have a "view" on the subject as such, except that I would advise people to stick to a legal way - and there may be more than one - of going about things.

I should say that before I got my Spouse visa I did do some "looking for work"while on an ETA - I wouldn't have worked, but there was no harm in investigating openings
Old Oct 14th 2010, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

toan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to all

I know someone who came over on holiday,got a job,then they sponsored him now here full time.
Good luck to you,hope you find something.
As for the its illegal brigade
Old Oct 16th 2010, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

i am sure may people have come over on holiday for a look about and a chat.

I myself arrived in NZ on a working holiday visa.. with the sole intention of getting permanent work and converting it to a full visa.. and did so after a few weeks of being here.

Play the game .. if asked.. you are on holiday.. if you are really paranoid.. put your cv online in a gmail account.. easy to get a copy should you need one.. as for certificates etc.. same thing.. have copies online..
your going to have to get the real thing for your visa.. but by then you have someone interested in sponsoring you..

as for the.."well its illegal".. it probably isnt in the spirit of the law.. but if you are not working or intend to actually work.. and therefore it is a holiday.. then its to the letter of the law
Old Oct 16th 2010, 7:06 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeepSix
i am sure may people have come over on holiday for a look about and a chat.

I myself arrived in NZ on a working holiday visa.. with the sole intention of getting permanent work and converting it to a full visa.. and did so after a few weeks of being here.

Play the game .. if asked.. you are on holiday.. if you are really paranoid.. put your cv online in a gmail account.. easy to get a copy should you need one.. as for certificates etc.. same thing.. have copies online..
your going to have to get the real thing for your visa.. but by then you have someone interested in sponsoring you..

as for the.."well its illegal".. it probably isnt in the spirit of the law.. but if you are not working or intend to actually work.. and therefore it is a holiday.. then its to the letter of the law
You arrived in New Zealand on a Working holiday visa. Not the same as a ETA or tourist visa. The purpose of a WHV is to allow you to work/look for work
Old Oct 16th 2010, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

very true re the WHV

but i just made the criterion.. if i hadnt been able to.. then i would have turned up on the holiday visa... moot point i know.. i didnt..

but the WHV isnt supposed to be used for permanent work.. just temp work for the purposes of filling up the funds whilst traveling.. so not really supposed to then get a full time job with one